Fuel Color

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam R

8mm Socket
Reaction score
I poured the gas out of a trimmer, I think it was an FS55, yesterday. The gas was the color of like, rose wine. Pale, almost pink in color. The head mech in the shop seemed to think it might have been an imitation lead additive.

Out of curiosity can anyone weigh in on this? I don't think it's a huge deal, the motor is in pretty good shape except the owner had blocked the impulse line and a few other things.

Thanks folks

Just to add to what pioneerguy600 said, when I bought my MS 170, the shop that sold it to me used this bluish fuel + oil mix. Trufuel looks reddish and My fuel + Stihl oil mix looks olive drab-ish.

Yeah I've seen the bluish and kind of olive-drab-clear of motomix or Stihl oil. Just had never seen pink/pale red gas before.

The original purpose of putting a colour dye in 2smoke oil was ease of knowing by sight if oil was added It seemed a fix brought in by fuel company's when oil was dispensed in a push down plunger canister on filling station forecourts along side the gas pumps one or more shots denoted the mix ratio, they started putting dye in the oil to be easily seen you hadn"t forgotten & were straight gassing

I am useing Lucas Oil semi synthetic right now it's a bluish . Even at 32:1 it's not as dark as I would like though.

AmsOil dominator oil has a good red color to it. I have used a few quarts of that and it had a good strong red color mixed at 32:1.

I beleive Echo Red Armor oil is red. And like was said who knows what all may have been mixed in a can to get that color

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’ve had klotz that turned pink. Nearly every premix changes the color of the fuel. I think this is a safety thing to let you know it’s actually got premix in the gas. ?

Yep that's the point, so you can tell it's got oil. I like when it's dark enough to see pouring. Some of them you can't tell until there is a larger quantity of it, like in the tank it looks clear pouring on some of them.

If your oil is not dark enough or you want to change the pink to blue for sight reasons etc , they make a dye for fuels and lubricants that you can add seperate. There is several threads that mention it. I think it's @Moparmyway that brought it up. I think it's in the long oil thread, I believe @cutforfun just brought it up again if I am remembering the names right.
I’ve had klotz that turned pink. Nearly every premix changes the color of the fuel. I think this is a safety thing to let you know it’s actually got premix in the gas. ?

I was kind of thinking along those lines. I really have no idea what the guy mixed it with; seems a stout mixture though since there's quite a bit of carbon on the exhaust. Still probably better to go too rich than too lean. It probably ran great before he put a knockoff carb & blocked the impulse line. I just send them back out with a tank of motomix but I was really curious about pink gas.
Thanks for all the replies. I consider myself an eternal student of the 2 cycle engine and really appreciate the wealth of experience and knowledge here.

If you use quality synthetic oil and your tuned right you should not have carbon. I run 32:1 in all my saws and not the first bit of carbon.

Not sure on the oil this guy uses - maybe what gives it a pink tinge. And he may be using a drop of that lead substitute. I guess a lot of old-school guys do that since forever and just can't break the habit. I don't really know how that would affect things.
As far as tuning, not really. I don't think the guy knows a ton about how these work (not like I'm some guru but I know you can expect problems when you put a gasket over your impulse line) The plug was greasy, carbon fouled and the arrester took awhile on the torch to clean. Had a rock solid p/v test though, & really nice looking skirt/walls!

I'm actually starting to think, a little rich in terms of too much fuel not enough air. He might have been running it choked or something when it started to perform badly or turned the carb way out.

I ran Sachs Dolmar saws for a good spell and bought their branded mix oil by the 5 gallon jugs, it was red colored at that time, mid 80`s up til early 90`s, just finished up using it all last winter, had 6 of the 5 gallon cans, lasted for a long time as it wasn`t my main mix oil after changing over to Stihl saws..

Latest posts

Back