Full Cord on an F-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cord of green oak where I live runs a little over 2 ton no way would I put 2 ton in my half ton truck. That would be pushing it for my GMC 4500 with a 12 foot bed. When I split other people's wood they would break springs blow tires have to put bearings in rear axles. I will not miss treat my equipment Im in this business for the long haul. I can't afford to tear up a $30.000.00 to $80.000.00 piece of equipment and stay in business. my pardoner I just just got read of tore up stuff I am still trying to fix.later sorry I hurt somebody's feeling but that's the way I think.

No one here said you could haul a cord of GREEN wood that i can tell

Well, here's a pic of my '93 F250 diesel with about 0.9 Cord of GREEN hickory on it.

Woodhauler.jpg

You can't see it real well, but the wood is just a tad below the tops of the rails. That was 3 weeks ago. Last weekend I had a full cord of white oak on. Both the hickory and the white oak were from tops that had been logged out this past summer. When I got home I checked before unloading, and I still had about 1/2" to go before the bumper stops kicked in. It's about a 5 mile trip home from the woods, and only 2 turns. Truck still stops okay, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade to some air bags and a hydroboost system. My tag says that my rear end is rated for over 6,000 pounds. I'm probably exceeding the rated load with a full cord of green hardwood on, but it would be pretty close.

Well, here's a pic of my '93 F250 diesel with about 0.9 Cord of GREEN hickory on it.

Woodhauler.jpg

You can't see it real well, but the wood is just a tad below the tops of the rails. That was 3 weeks ago. Last weekend I had a full cord of white oak on. Both the hickory and the white oak were from tops that had been logged out this past summer. When I got home I checked before unloading, and I still had about 1/2" to go before the bumper stops kicked in. It's about a 5 mile trip home from the woods, and only 2 turns. Truck still stops okay, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade to some air bags and a hydroboost system. My tag says that my rear end is rated for over 6,000 pounds. I'm probably exceeding the rated load with a full cord of green hardwood on, but it would be pretty close.

here are the bags I have they work wonders and are easily installed I think all I needed was a 1/2" drill bit, drill and only a few other wrenches Air Lift 57215 - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Air Spring Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com well worth the couple hundo sometimes you can grab a set of these on ebay for a bit cheaper best part is when you are empty you can empty the bags and it will ride just like stock

not another overloaded truck thread

O.K. quick disclaimer first. I am a professional driver. I stretched my limits and the limits of my equipment to get these results. Do NOT try this at home.

With high enough side boards a cord of wood will easily fit on a 3/4 ton truck. A cord of wood is only 8 ft long 4 ft wide and 4 ft high. That means if you stack it 4 feet high in the bed of a truck you can put a cord on easily. The weight of a cord of seasoned hardwood is around 4000 lbs. So the real question here is can you put 2 tons on a truck that is rated at 3/4 ton. The answer is YES.
Is it safe or recommended? NO!
That said I have put 8 tons on a 1 ton truck before. I was hauling landscaping rock on a F350 with a flat bed. 4 pallets of rock at 4k each. The truck hauled it barely. Pulling out was not possible uphill (I had to run a couple of stop signs to get it there) and stopping was a long and slow process but the truck survived and the load was delivered 5 miles away. I also put 5 tons of pulp wood on that same truck once for a very scarey ride for a 15 mile trip. The truck is still running to this day. So is it possible for someone to deliver wood on a overloaded truck? Sure. May even be able to dodge the law and keep the truck from damage if they really pay attention to what they are doing. But even though I have put 30,000 lbs of freight on a truck with a 26k GVW and ran 40 miles of interstate before doesn't mean that I was right to try it or that the drive shaft won't fly out of the truck 2 weeks later (it did.)

So can you be dealing with a real cord of wood on a 3/4 ton truck? Yes. The truck will haul it and if the driver is up to the task he can get it there. But you are just as likely to be dealing with another firewood hack that is selling a rick and calling it a cord.

If a driver is carrying a cord of wood on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck and gets into an accident or a trooper needs his ticket quota,that cord of wood became VERY expensive.Nothing like basically putting a banner on the side side of a pickup saying "Look,I am overloaded". I have an 02 F250 and I will carry a slightly humped in the middle bed full.I know I will be in regulation if I get stopped.A lawyer would have a field day if a firewood hauler slammed into his client with some of the pictured loads on this thread.

Answer

If a driver is carrying a cord of wood on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck and gets into an accident or a trooper needs his ticket quota,that cord of wood became VERY expensive.Nothing like basically putting a banner on the side side of a pickup saying "Look,I am overloaded". I have an 02 F250 and I will carry a slightly humped in the middle bed full.I know I will be in regulation if I get stopped.A lawyer would have a field day if a firewood hauler slammed into his client with some of the pictured loads on this thread.
Where I live these firewood haulers are running around with 8000 lb plates. They mad cause they getting over load tickets. In Illinois if you ain't legal sooner or later they get you. I got stopped on fuel check 3 trucks behind me got a $2000.00 fine each for using farm fuel. Later got to go to work

In order for that to happen, my brakes would have to actually fail, which can happen just as easily with a half cord, or even empty as it can with a full cord. Either way, if his client is hit by a 7K vehicle who's breaks have failed, the end result is going to be the same either way. Admittedly, a full cord of green hickory is more than I care to carry at one time, but the ground is frozen and I'm trying to make hay while the sun is a shining. Either way, this is the express reason that I purchased a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel, so yeah, I do my dangdest to get as close as I can to my rated capacity every time I load her up with firewood. For what it's worth, there is absolutely NO difference between my rear axle, and that on a '93 F350 SRW 4x4 ext cab. The only difference between the two trucks is the front axle. I have a D50 in mine, and an F350 has a Dana 60. Not all F250 trucks have the same rear axle, but I known what I have and I use it accordingly.

For what it's worth, if this was a source of income for me, I would do things in a completely different manor. But for the 6 to 8 loads (almost 2 years worth of heat) that I haul 5 miles down the road every year, this set up works, and works well for me. If I'm hauling a load from my folks, who live 45 miles north of me, I use the side rails, but don't load it nearly as full, and the wood is pretty well seasoned at that point. The only reason that I use the side rails for that is to make it easier to throw the saws, fuel, oil, tool boxes and such in for the ride home.

Guess it just depends on what kind of truck you are driving. If its a chevy/gmc no problem do it all the time. However if its a ford (ford knew they had a problem they circled it), I would not expect to haul too much. Half ton figure say as a toy taco, 3/4 ton same as s-10 chevy (maybe a little less on the ford), one ton you might get a full cord on a ford, maybe. Dodge don't plan on hauling anything unless you enjoy putting the weak sheet metal back together, the box will not handle it. Flat bed would be better, however you will be replacing parts in short order, rear end, u-joints, driveshafts, etc. Oh forgot to mention your going to need a kidney belt if your driving a dodge, worse ride than a lumber wagon. If you have a half ton chevy full cord no problem do it all the time, just need a good reliable rack.

My EXPERIENCE has been the exact opposite. I have had 5 new 3/4 ton heavy duty GM's and every year they can haul less and less. My 2000-01 was the worst. 4k of block and the bumper was dragging, plow on the front would drag the turn cyl bolts. 6.0 was good with power but horrible with fuel mileage. Picked up a 01 f250 and regularly cross the scales with 5k of rock in the back. Also moved up from a 8' straight blade to a 9'4" vee plow and the truck handles it great. Hands down a stronger truck than the GM's. Oh by the way I would love to see a full green cord of maple on a 1/2 ton GM, just please don't drive it down the road. I used to put 2/3's of a cord on my 1/2 ton GM but no way would I drive it on the road, you could hardly steer it. CJ

Last edited:
Guess it just depends on what kind of truck you are driving. If its a chevy/gmc no problem do it all the time. However if its a ford (ford knew they had a problem they circled it), I would not expect to haul too much. Half ton figure say as a toy taco, 3/4 ton same as s-10 chevy (maybe a little less on the ford), one ton you might get a full cord on a ford, maybe. Dodge don't plan on hauling anything unless you enjoy putting the weak sheet metal back together, the box will not handle it. Flat bed would be better, however you will be replacing parts in short order, rear end, u-joints, driveshafts, etc. Oh forgot to mention your going to need a kidney belt if your driving a dodge, worse ride than a lumber wagon. If you have a half ton chevy full cord no problem do it all the time, just need a good reliable rack.

umm my 07 ram 3500 has had 3400 lbs of gravel in her regularly .I was once overloaded at the yard I went in to get the ticket and it said #13000 and change I made them pull some off.The rear was on the bumb stops truck is rated for 10100 pounds never had any problems with the metal on the bed.Haven't replaced anything on my truck but brakes and tires . Truck is used as a truck and used hard .

Seems you don't care for dodge well the feeling is the same for chevy on my part Last GMC I had was a peice of crap bought it new and was nothing but trouble.

Last edited:

Why would you get a ticket if you have the plates to cover it? I was told directly by an officer at a weight scale that they can't ticket because you are over your manufactures rating. That is a suggestion and they can't ticket for it. They can ticket for over loading tires,hitches,couplers,axles,axles spacing,and being over your licence.

Scott

Scott, I can't speak for elsewhere, but in WI you can be ticketed for overweight from the lowest of the following: registered weight, manufacturer's weight rating, or weight rating of components (most notably tire weights). Unfortunately, I have had reason to read this particular rule...In my case it was written up as over registered weight, since my 8K plates were lower than the 8800GVW on the truck.

umm my 07 ram 3500 has had 3400 lbs of gravel in her regularly .I was once overloaded at the yard I went in to get the ticket and it said #13000 and change I made them pull some off.The rear was on the bumb stops truck is rated for 10100 pounds never had any problems with the metal on the bed.Haven't replaced anything on my truck but brakes and tires . Truck is used as a truck and used hard .

Seems you don't care for dodge well the feeling is the same for chevy on my part Last GMC I had was a peice of crap bought it new and was nothing but trouble.

Yes I would say hauling little loads like that you will probably never see a problem, considering I believe the payload on your truck is around 4000lbs from the manufacturer. Now considering how the lawyers have made massive underrating on every thing for a safety margin, you are not even working the truck. I haul probably close to the 3400 lbs in back of my half ton, if not more. I would say a load on a 3/4 ton or larger truck is around 6-8K or more. Hauling gravel your tailgate is probably closed thus helping strengthen the box sides. Try this cut some rounds, leave your tailgate down, and load about 4K of round on your box then drive down a little dirt road with some small bumps and then try to close your tailgate. I have found you can't get it closed due to the box spreading several inches. I had a friend with one and if we loaded log lengths we had to put a ratchet strap on the box side to hold them from spreading. Not sure how the brand new dodges are with this problem. I do like some of the interior designs on the dodges though, and the older cummins engines except for the noise.

Info

My 2003 ford 1 ton weighed 7900 lb when I got in the truck me and the truck weighed 8100 which made me over weight a cord of green oak put me up around 12000 plus the fine is $1.00 a pound over 8000 lbs. I had to have 12000 lb plates on my one ton. My 4500 has 16000 plates on it my 6500 has 26000 plates. My friend has a one ton mty weight 8600 lb his tool way 4000 lbs his first and only fine was $1100.00 for over weight of 8000 lb plates. He now has 16000 lb plates. Later

My EXPERIENCE has been the exact opposite. I have had 5 new 3/4 ton heavy duty GM's and every year they can haul less and less. My 2000-01 was the worst. 4k of block and the bumper was dragging, plow on the front would drag the turn cyl bolts. 6.0 was good with power but horrible with fuel mileage. Picked up a 01 f250 and regularly cross the scales with 5k of rock in the back. Also moved up from a 8' straight blade to a 9'4" vee plow and the truck handles it great. Hands down a stronger truck than the GM's. Oh by the way I would love to see a full green cord of maple on a 1/2 ton GM, just please don't drive it down the road. I used to put 2/3's of a cord on my 1/2 ton GM but no way would I drive it on the road, you could hardly steer it. CJ

Yes sure seems like you have had different results. I have never seen a chevy sag too much with a load on her, or from a plow. I would just wonder if you had the plow setup on the chevy's you bought? I stole this pic from another guy on here showing a good load on his hd 3/4 chevy with a dirtymax
216082d1326082235-100_1615%5B1%5D-jpg

I don't seem to see any sagging? Now as far as fuel mileage and using it as a truck, they are all pretty much the same. You load them to the nuts and they suck fuel period. That is why my truck does not move unless it is to haul, tow, or work. I would love to see the pic of 5k in back of a F250. It takes all kinds I just prefer to be well dressed with the bow-tie

Info

The reason I have the trucks I have is I might go all the way to Tennessee to get a load lots of scales state troopers. Put 4000 lb on a 3/4 ton and run see how long it will last. Not very long pounding that highway unless you have better luck than me. I don't think a thing about loading my tractor on my trailer going to Ky,Mo, or up state to get a load of Ash. My 6500 weighs 16000 lb my trail weighs 3000 lb my tractor weighs 4000 lb 5 ton of Ash. Out of a storm area. A pickup will not keep that up or mine wouldn't. The next day right back for another load day after day. I guess I baby my equipment to much. I hug my trucks every morning change oil and filters ever 4000 miles run them thru the truck wash every week. My trucks and equipment as the old saying goes you can eat off of them. Later

The reason I have the trucks I have is I might go all the way to Tennessee to get a load lots of scales state troopers. Put 4000 lb on a 3/4 ton and run see how long it will last. Not very long pounding that highway unless you have better luck than me. I don't think a thing about loading my tractor on my trailer going to Ky,Mo, or up state to get a load of Ash. My 6500 weighs 16000 lb my trail weighs 3000 lb my tractor weighs 4000 lb 5 ton of Ash. Out of a storm area. A pickup will not keep that up or mine wouldn't. The next day right back for another load day after day. I guess I baby my equipment to much. I hug my trucks every morning change oil and filters ever 4000 miles run them thru the truck wash every week. My trucks and equipment as the old saying goes you can eat off of them. Later

you are comparing apples to oranges here gmc 6500 vs 1/2 to 1 ton pickup BIG difference i mean the rear end in that truck weighs as much as an entire pickup truck so your comparison is irrelavant I mean your saying you can put 5 ton of wood on your truck whoopty frikindue what does that have to do with the topic of the thread concerning a f250 being able to handle a full cord? we are not saying its good for the truck we are saying it CAN and HAS been done. its like a tree service that only owns a f350 or f450 chip truck buying a 18" chipper yes you can tow it yes you can chip into the truck but why? your only gonna fill the truck up in 5 min but again yes it can be done

and fyi if your truck is 16000 trailer 3000 tractor 4000 and wood 10000 you are over weight... 16+10=26000+ tounge weight of trailer =over your 26K plates amd youi say you dont push your trucks to its limit!

i know a little bit about heavy loads on pick-ups. i had an '84 chevy 1 ton dump, not a pick-up but even heavier to start with, high compression 454, sm465 and np205, 14FF rearend and dana 60 front, and i had a 12,000lb load of rocks on it and it brought itself up out of a foundation we were digging.

i had a '78 chevy 1/2 ton camper special and it had like 18 leaves per side, 350, sm465, np205, 12 bolt rearend and dana 44 front, and it hauled 5000lbs of gravel numerous times in it's life.

this next one is hard for me, but i had a buddy that had i think it was a '91 or '93 dodge 1 ton with the cummins, 5 speed, 4x4, and we had 12,000lbs and change on that sucker for a 50 mile trip.

do i advise loading like this, no. but these trucks can do it when needed. i'm a chevy guy, but i'm not gonna say a ford or a dodge can't haul as much, that's silly. anybody can upgrade their truck for heavier work. bigger axles, brakes, u-joints, driveshafts, transmissions, springs, box the frame, and the list goes on.

Yes sure seems like you have had different results. I have never seen a chevy sag too much with a load on her, or from a plow. I would just wonder if you had the plow setup on the chevy's you bought? I stole this pic from another guy on here showing a good load on his hd 3/4 chevy with a dirtymax
216082d1326082235-100_1615%5B1%5D-jpg

I don't seem to see any sagging? Now as far as fuel mileage and using it as a truck, they are all pretty much the same. You load them to the nuts and they suck fuel period. That is why my truck does not move unless it is to haul, tow, or work. I would love to see the pic of 5k in back of a F250. It takes all kinds I just prefer to be well dressed with the bow-tie

Looks like Osage Orange. Must have some add-a-leaf kits.
Pretty neat.

Glad the cops have better things to do around here than worry about a pick up that's a couple pounds over the registration weight. There are differences in the same brand, same model of truck as well . The older (80 & 90's) Ford 3/4 could be had with several suspension/spring options. I imagine that's true with all makes.

Latest posts

Back