full time chainsawers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar hacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
To all you full time chainsawers.whats your days like out there.how much gas do you guys use in one day.how many hours a day is a normal day. What saw do you carry all day.what grade of gas.any other stuff like that i missed just chime in.me i use between a half gal to a full gallon of mid grade full.8 hours most days.i using ms 250 for these jobs.anybody else

8 hours a day on an ms250?!? Wow! Never thought that little saw could take such abuse. Kewl.

For the last nearly 2 years now.a few pull cords and spark plugs. Other than that it still cuts like i pulled it out of the box.ofcourse i baby it when i get off.always keep it sharp and clean and it will take care of you

Depends on what I'm doin. If I'm climbing doing trims, might not go through a full tank on the 200. Even a big takedown rarely go through a whole gallon. When we were cleaning up after the fire, though, I might run 2 gallons through the 660. I had a great groundie setting ropes and pullies for what I couldn't wedge, and I might run through a whole tank without ever shutting the saw off.
As far as hours, I'm at the point where I don't like to climb more than 5 or 6 hrs, and even an 8 hr day on the ground wears me out pretty good. You burn. 2 gallons through a 660 in a day and you feel it the next morning for sure. We had a job clearing dead pines down a half mile drive and my groundie offered to carry the saw back for me, and he was moaning by the time we got back to the truck, it was kind of funny.
Hey cedar, just a heads up. We went to pick up some cedar planks in Lampasas last week, and they were out of mesquite. He said all the mesquite cutters he had went to the oilfields. If you've got a decent source out there I can hook you up with him. Jeff

It doesn't take much with my 385 to use 2 gallons on a nice 4-6 hours of cut time. But puts a lot of wood on the ground.

I bet that 660 would wear you down.a good half gal out of the 290 makes my arms feel like wet noodles.not till im done do i notice it..i could probably find a good source for some mesquite if i can come out ahead on gas. Thats what i love bout the 250 is the weight. I have put up 13 hours on it.it cuts quick enough but by the end of the day i dont feel like total crap just from carrying it

2-3 Gallons of 93 a day. 4-5 gallons of Bar&Chain oil. 8 hours a day.From Top handles to big saws.

I bet that 660 would wear you down.a good half gal out of the 290 makes my arms feel like wet noodles.not till im done do i notice it..i could probably find a good source for some mesquite if i can come out ahead on gas. Thats what i love bout the 250 is the weight. I have put up 13 hours on it.it cuts quick enough but by the end of the day i dont feel like total crap just from carrying it

For no faster than the 290's are they're heavy. I used a 250 for a while and it's not on the same level as a 350 in the home owner class, but it wasn't a bad saw. Little slow but it worked. I've run about every 50cc saw you can think of made after 1990 and I thought some drank some fuel. Then I noticed our 2 gallons of mix didn't go far between a 385 and a 461. Think I'll stick to my smaller saws:cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:
The 250 is better built than most of the smaller Stihl saws. At least it has a forged rod, and not a piece of stamped steel. They're really not a bad to saw to use. I rebuild one a couple years ago and was surprised at how it ran.

The 250 is better built than most of the smaller Stihl saws. At least it has a forged rod, and not a piece of stamped steel. They're really not a bad to saw to use. I rebuild one a couple years ago and was surprised at how it ran.

They don't get any love. I'd have one again if the price was right. They're not real fast but they handle pretty well in 14inch and smaller wood.

I don't do it everyday but on the days we do cut all day I run about 5 hours of saw time on a 50 and 70cc saw. About 2 gals of fuel and 2 gals of oil. Tend to use the big saw until it gets too heavy and then the small saw for the rest of the day. Depending on the size of the wood it varies but 2 gals on mix and 2 gals of oil will make a day. Total time out is usually in the 8hr range but only about 5hr run time tops. Also run the low octane fuel and quality oil.

It all depends on how many saws are being run, how many people I am cutting with, and what we are cutting. With my ported 029 SUPER with the motor work done on it. It will use up about 2-3 gallons in a 6 or more hour day no problem and almost 2 gallons of bar oil. We cut on a thick tract of land for a right-of-way for a snowmobile trail and the wood was really thick and we used 5 gallons of mix a day with 3 saws going all day long.

Something's not right there.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. How come these "pros" are going through so much bar oil? Are they pouring half of it directly on the ground?

All of my saws hold half as much oil as they do fuel. I use about two gallons of oil a year and five gallons of fuel (blowers and trimmers included).

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. How come these "pros" are going through so much bar oil? Are they pouring half of it directly on the ground?

All of my saws hold half as much oil as they do fuel. I use about two gallons of oil a year and five gallons of fuel (blowers and trimmers included).

Its cheaper to over oil and keep a bar cool than to replace a bar. $12 a gallon vs. $100 bar

I guess I'll have to spell it out completely so I'm easier to understand. Are these same "pro" cutters stoping half way through each tank of fuel to refill the empty oil tank just to save $88 on a bar? Doesn't every pro saw use one 12oz. tank of oil per 24oz. tank of fuel?

Some of the Pros are running really big bars...and use a lot more bar oil than with a shorter bar.

Soo they use waay more bar oil than the 'normal person or Pro' would use.

Check out the prices on BIG (LONG) bars...and if you go to premium bars like Total..Sugi-Hari or Cannon...

Like I posted earlier today on another thread.."Have you chosen what bank to rob..before ordering the long Cannon..??"
:cheers:
J2F

Im not sure but its somewhere around 2 or 3 gallons of bar oil a week i use.it does seem a gallon of gas goes faster than a gal of oil. 3 gal of gas a day and 5 gal of oil is alot.i assume theres more than one person involved in that because thats quite abit.

Latest posts

Back