full time chainsawers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the different things that go on between tanks of gas a tank will usually last about an hour. One tank may reap 1/2 cord or 1000 bf, just depends on the species, your abilities, how much socializing goes on between tanks and weather your paid by the hr. or by the mile. Its hard to go full bore for more than 4 hrs. production drops after that. If you go nice and easy6-8 hrs would be a full day. I call a full day 5-6 tanks. The saw has alot to do with it all.
Franks Planks

How we do it here is is cutting cedar/juniper trees and sell per ton.an average load is 4.5 tons.i figured it up at about 1000 lbs a tank.i dont start loading my trailer till bout 9 or 10 tanks.a day for just cutting ill go for more tanks.thats not stoping during a tank till its gone.i usually will run 2 or 3 tanks at a time before ill take a break.iv figured it up to about 30 to 40 mins a tank.

I use more bar oil than mix.

I could also be full time if wanted, but I don't want to run chainsaws full time! :msp_smile:

There are some better choices of saws out there for full time work also. Just sayin...

8 hours a day on an ms250?!? Wow! Never thought that little saw could take such abuse. Kewl.

That is one tough saw, while stihl has it in the "home owner line" i know 2 people who use them long hours everyday in their tree cutting service, either as in tree saws or limbing on the ground. they love the ms250 cause they are cheap and last forever. i had one a few years ago, put over 100 hrs on it in 6 months, then i sold it (to my friends tree service) and its still going strong for him! il run a MS250 any day!
as for now, when i have to carry around a saw for 8-10 hours, il grab my MS261 with 20in bar. perfect light weight combo for felling and limbing all day (where i cut its mostly oaks under 20 inches)

I run an MS390 that has been lightly modified. I use about the same amount of oil as mix. I run premium ONLY. NO ETHANOL.
Premium synthetic 2 stroke oil with stabilizer. I don't normally go through more than about 8 tanks on a busy day. One tank of gas will cut a LOT of wood.:blob2: I don't think I have ever used 3 tanks to cut a full cord. I have cut more wood with that saw than I can keep track of. WAY over 200, and maybe close to 700 cord. It runs better now than when it was new. I tune it whenever the weather changes.

On the big takedowns i always put alittle oil on the bar between 2-3 cuts. Where talking 40 plus inch bars and trees up to 60 inches. In Florida you can fry an egg on the hood of your truck daily by 9 am. Maybe i use alittle to much but i like when my saws use more oil than fuel.

I've run plenty of big saws with big bars, but I've never used more gas than bar oil.

An 090 running a 60" bar will go through a tad more oil than fuel bucking hardwood. Just drop the bar into the pile and pull the trigger. No problem to use 3+ gallons of fuel in 6 hours of running.

On the big takedowns i always put alittle oil on the bar between 2-3 cuts. Where talking 40 plus inch bars and trees up to 60 inches. In Florida you can fry an egg on the hood of your truck daily by 9 am. Maybe i use alittle to much but i like when my saws use more oil than fuel.
I don't know how you guys in Florida do it? My buddy lives in New Port Richey and the last time i was down to see him
I couldn't go outside after 9am let alone run a chainsaw...That tropical sun is brutal...My hat's off to ya:cheers:

Last edited:
As i tell my customers i think my pops bred me for it. When you grow up working hand in hand with family and old timers it just comes natural.

Latest posts

Back