Fustration @ local Stihl dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had pretty good luck with my local ACE Hardware store that sells Stihl products. I've placed orders with them and have been pleased each time. There are times, that they tell you it might be a week or so before they place an order (to avoid shipping charges I guess, or to meet a min. order), but that's okay.

The most important thing to me, is getting your order and finding out that it's correct. For whatever reason, they seem to be able to order parts for less than what a dedicated Stihl shop quotes me.

well the guy from stihl customer service who called me said he had to put the gaskets on order the dealer here didn't even do that

well the guy from stihl customer service who called me said he had to put the gaskets on order the dealer here didn't even do that
I don't believe that Stihl could put something on my order without my approval. They might call me and inform me of an issue, but it's up to me to resolve the issue.
good post AKDoug…gonna derail here for a minute….did you make it to the ARA rental show this week in florida? i just got back…good show to go to if your in the rental biz, lotsa good deals on equipment.
I've been to some in the past. Didn't have any needs this year, so I passed this year.
Don't get too down in the dumps about Stihl dealers. Some of the guys who have replied here have minimal posts and probably got directed to this thread in a Google search.
The internet always gives the impression that the sky is falling in :) In saying that though I have indeed seen some shocker Stihl dealers over the years but also a lot of good ones.
Whenever a thread like this starts it is guaranteed to attract people who've had a bad Stihl experience so the replies would make you think that 95% of dealers are useless.
I've been on the 'net for a long time. I know exactly what you are saying.

well I do know he called the dealer and when he called me back he said he put it on the list

There are 10 Stihl and 12 Husqvarna dealers within a 30 mile radius from me. Some are small engine shops, equipment rental businesses and others are large Ag dealers. There are dealers that stock every trimmer and landscape product while others just have consumer saws. Every dealer has a different price structure for their saws and parts but honour the seasonal flyer prices. My local dealer has buying power for both brands due to their 7 Ag dealer locations therefore providing fast part delivery.

mcw I wasn't putting all stihl dealers down actually I would like to have a dealer like akdoug around here I talk to a lot of people here in my town and they all say they don't like going to the dealer here because he doesn't have very good people skills and when I ordered the gaskets I talked to the owner and I have bought saws and stuff from him before and this was on a Tuesday and he said they should be here on Friday he said ups comes just about everyday so tell me how am I putting all stihl dealers down on trying to put money in local economy and not overseas kinda upsets me when says about the posting also just because I don't open my mouth like some do

Sorry mate I certainly wasn't pointing the finger at anybody, certainly not you, it's just that threads like this attract people with bad dealer stories and give some the impression that 95% of Stihl dealers are bad. I just find it odd that threads like this tend to attract replies from mainly new members who haven't had much input on other threads.
I could add a few bad stories myself but I wouldn't bother starting a thread on it as I can sort it all out myself without needing to openly air it online. For example one was when a Stihl tech dropped a carby nut down the intake of my saw and just put a new nut on it instead of getting the old nut out. First time I tried to start the saw she fully locked up. I pulled the top end and bingo, here's the carb nut jammed between the crank and the case. Now I could go off and flame the dealer but he's the best dealer I know. Problem is that he had a useless and lazy tech who has since been sacked.
The problem with threads like this is that quite often comments are made without the full facts being known. Starting threads like this should always be a last resort, not the first thing people think of.

Sorry mate I certainly wasn't pointing the finger at anybody, certainly not you, it's just that threads like this attract people with bad dealer stories and give some the impression that 95% of Stihl dealers are bad. I just find it odd that threads like this tend to attract replies from mainly new members who haven't had much input on other threads.
I could add a few bad stories myself but I wouldn't bother starting a thread on it as I can sort it all out myself without needing to openly air it online. For example one was when a Stihl tech dropped a carby nut down the intake of my saw and just put a new nut on it instead of getting the old nut out. First time I tried to start the saw she fully locked up. I pulled the top end and bingo, here's the carb nut jammed between the crank and the case. Now I could go off and flame the dealer but he's the best dealer I know. Problem is that he had a useless and lazy tech who has since been sacked.
The problem with threads like this is that quite often comments are made without the full facts being known. Starting threads like this should always be a last resort, not the first thing people think of.

I went back to the beginning of the thread and checked: a few newbies but not that many. Thank god there are plenty of fine Stihl dealers. There are also several poor dealers. In my town, the new owner of the closest Stihl dealer is someone I know really well. I have been in business with him for years since he owns several other stores in town (repair and rental). He bought this last store to get the Stihl dealership. He is honest and hard working but his employees are poorly trained. I complain about all the errors but also try to help them improve. I have taught a few things to their mech and he was thankful. That is why he now lets me use his computer to look up the parts myself.
It's true that compiling bad experiences on internet is easy and can be misleading but it is also true that I could list at least 20 times I ended up with the wrong part. That is why I was told, last time I was on training at the French Stihl headquarters, that they would survey all their dealers. So far, I have 2 dealers available and both are poorly trained. I therefore try to help the best of the two to improve.

Latest posts

Back