FYI about your chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Learned something new the other day. Not sure if it's common knowledge or not but thought I ought to pass it along as it just may save someone's leg.

My future father in law owns a saw shop and is a Stihl dealer. I stopped in to get some bar oil and of course we chatted about this that and the other. I don't currently wear chaps but I am seriously considering. I just don't have the extra coin at the moment. At any rate, he was telling me that a lot of guys will buy them and wear them right off the shelf. If you read the "instructions" you will know that you are supposed to wash them first as it fluffs up the inside material. If you don't wash them, you are effectively wearing regular pants. They showed a video during one of his Stihl classes where they put a ham inside a pair of chaps, one washed and one not. When they hit them with a saw, let's just say that the unwashed pair didn't do much good. The same goes for older chaps. You should wash them semi-regularly as they will eventually "un-fluff" and become useless.

I'm surprised at the off-the-shelf needing a washing part.

I do know that as they collect oil (and get normal wear & tear breaking down the fibers) they lose effectiveness.

Good reminder.

Note that this does not apply to all makes of chaps. While the shells may be the same, the fill material may be different. Some instructions indicate that washing improves the "fluff," but others warn the user never to wash them. Bottom line: read the directions.

Good reminder.

Note that this does not apply to all makes of chaps. While the shells may be the same, the fill material may be different. Some instructions indicate that washing improves the "fluff," but others warn the user never to wash them. Bottom line: read the directions.

Thank you!! I will certainly check my chaps out. I have the Jonsered Pro Forrest Logger Wrap Chaps in 600 Denier.
I also have a pair of the Hsqvarna Pro Forrest Logger Wrap Chaps w/ 1,000 Denier for winter and thick briar patches.

Was that instruction on the tag that says "Do not remove under penalty of the law"?

Ask him what he thinks of the Labonville Chaps?

See if he doesn't protect his future grandchilds interests.... No Coin? Must be keeping his daughter in high priced silk sheets with Bon Bons and Champagne...

(GREAT advice, BTW. Had no idea)

i brush my saw on my chaps quite often....i have large legs, long torso and, well, im probably lazy. THe fiber glass fibers always do what they are supposed to do and I have never washed my chaps. that said im going ot ready teh directions on them. seems fishy though!

Latest posts

Back