FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drogueman said:
Excelent, glad to here someone used the machine and is satisfied with it so far. I still have to wait until Xmas to use mine. I may need some help setting up all those little nobby gagets. I guess all we need now is someone to get it to run in reverse.:bowdown:

Mine is sitting in a box under the tree. This waiting is killing me!:blob2:

I held off and held off for 5 pages of you guys talking about this... and yet the sale goes on. I kept telling myself that the HF grinder was fine. Well, I broke down and ordered one this morning. It's got to hold an angle better than the plastic framed HF.

Ian

Seeing as it's identical to the Oregon grinder, I downloaded their owners manual, it is more detailed and has more pictures.

Tom,
Can you please send me the link to the manual so I can download it and start reading how to run this contraption, lol. Looks like a few of us have to suffer and wait until after Xmas,it is killing me.

Just ordered one of em. Went back and added 1.99 bicycle hooks to order to get 10.00 gift card.
I have a Nick the Grinder, but all the plastic made it not be consistent, so we will see how this does.
Arboristsite has caused me to spend a lot of money
Dan

I want one but I never used an grinder.... What is the reverse for? Umm is it hard? can I use full chisle chain and its 3/8 pitch... Im scared to buy one with out know what to do. But I guess that is what your guys are here for!
Help thanks

MS-310 said:
I want one but I never used an grinder.... What is the reverse for? Umm is it hard? can I use full chisle chain and its 3/8 pitch... Im scared to buy one with out know what to do. But I guess that is what your guys are here for!
Help thanks
All of life is a learning experience. We all had to learn to walk. when we fell we got up.
If you grind a tooth or two wrong you will do it over.
I never had a grinder before, I never even sharpend my own chains. My brother worked in a repair shop and always did them.
My Northern Grinder came yesterday, as soon as I get it set up I will be ruining a few chains I'm sure.
Full chisel chain , Yes, but round ground not the square grind chain

computeruser said:
On super sale. Look Here! Looks like it might be the Tecomec 136/Oregon 511A unit, in which case $100 is a freakin' steal.

Thanks one heck of a lot for posting this and you others for going on about it. I just placed and order. $108 to my door, guess I better go burry some chains in the dirt in prepperation for its arrival, LOL

olyman said:
tom--61 pages of that pdf manual---holy smolely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, but half are French. Here's a link to a free pdf file reader that is a lot less of a resource hog than Adobe Acrobat reader.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
The reverse is so you can grind into the cutter and not leave a burr on the outside of it. I figure that burr will be gone after a couple trips through the log. We'll see.
Also a thank you to computeruser and everybody else's feedback. I've been waffling on this grinder deal for a couple of years, this gave me an opportunity to check it out without spending $300. I was afraid any less, and I'd be getting a piece of junk.

MS-310 said:
Help thanks

You could close your eyes and do a better job than my local shop.

well Northern finally packed one right

This time Northern put the factory box in another box and packed it like it was fragile.
I got it all set up and ground three chains..I like grinding skip tooth chains.. what?about 1/3 as many teeth.
The finish is decent on the machine.The hinge is tight, but you can flex it if you try.Just pull down square with the hinge and it works without a hitch.
I bought a husky square filed factory chain today for 13 bucks.I am going to sit and study sometime to see if that cut can be replicated, by dressing a wheel to an angle rather than to round. I figure buy a spare wheel to just use on flat.
worth a shot for the few bucks a wheel cost.

I just sharpened a couple more chains. Definitely better this time, didn't waste so much chain. The chain kept snagging, and I noticed the back of the vise was spreading letting the chain slide in, so I found a machine screw and locknut and used a hole which was already there. Worked fine then. It's real hard to turn the vise from one side to the other. Might have to find a spot to squirt some lube in.
For all you guys that haven't got it yet, or have to wait for Xmas, I'm just showing off now.:rockn:

Tom

Mine came with a screw and two jambing nuts in that hole.. simply ran it up against the back of the vise and jammed the nut.
My dad is going to bring me ahnadful of chains to play with. I will probably grab up a bigger handful of chains from the loggers tomorrow or Monday.They handfile in the woods. so I am sure their chains could use a tuning. I probably should read the instructions before I do to many. I am grinding at 35 degrees, with a 50 degree down swing..
Is that anywhere close on the downswing part?It quite nicely resembled the factory grinds on my new chains.

There's a chart in the manual which gives you the settings for different types of chains. My vise has(had) two empty holes to the left of the left jambing nut. Thats where it spread and let the chain slip down. I see there are two holes to the left of the right jambing nut also. Must be so you can move the vise to the right if you want.

tawilson said:
Yeah, but half are French. Here's a link to a free pdf file reader that is a lot less of a resource hog than Adobe Acrobat reader.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
The reverse is so you can grind into the cutter and not leave a burr on the outside of it. I figure that burr will be gone after a couple trips through the log. We'll see.
Also a thank you to computeruser and everybody else's feedback. I've been waffling on this grinder deal for a couple of years, this gave me an opportunity to check it out without spending $300. I was afraid any less, and I'd be getting a piece of junk.

Tom I just installed Foxit and it is unbelievably faster than adobe. THANKS
Can I have my computer automatically download to Foxit without removing Adobe? My POS (point of sale- not the other meaning -although it does sometimes apply) system at work uses Adobe for many reports so I don't think I can remove it.
Also exactly what does dressing the wheel do for you ?
Thanks
Dan

Yes you can. Right click on a file you want it to open, choose "open with", then click "choose program, then choose Foxit and check the box to use it to always open this type of file. Maybe you knew all that, but what the heck.
I found this morning that after a few chains the wheel looses its shape, just use the block to round the edge of it again. There's a gauge included for that. Also, according to the directions, the wheel you use for your depth gauges needs to be made flat and parallel with the vice. Also use the block. Maybe others here that have used a grinder more than the 5 chains I've done so far have different experiences. :laugh:

Did seven chains for the logger.

some were pretty well used up. They take longer as you have to watch the paw and not grind into it.
He just left here with them in hand to see if they will cut anything..I think he was suprised that they were not blue..LOL
I have spent my entire adult life as a carpenter, I have sharpened many saws.chisels, and god knows how many knives.So I do understand the sharpenning process.
Everyone has made such an issue about reversing the motor.I am going to leave mine throwing the chips away from me as I have it mounted very high,shoulder height.
I took the thick disc and made it flat. figure I can change the setup to file the rakers.after I have ground a few chains for sharp.
Overall feel is I done good.For 108 bucks
If I was to have charged him I would have had a third of the cost paid for..

Latest posts

Back