Garbage picked a Stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAAB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start off by saying hello. I found this site by googling for info on a stihl 034 AV. Someone in town decided it wasn't worth anything to them and put it out for garbage.

I snatched it up and brought it home with me. I put some fuel in it, checked for spark. Tried to fire it, no go. The saw was actually kind of difficult to pull over. So I pulled the muffler off and took a look at things. The piston and cylinder were pretty well chewed up. I'm new to tinkering with chainsaws, but not at all new to tinkering with mechanical things. So I quickly took to google to look for replacement parts. Which brought me to Huztl.

Now I know a lot of guys are not fans of the Chinese Clone parts, but for a garbage picked saw I figured they'd be good enough.

I ordered a new 48mm piston and cylinder (wanting an upgrade over the 46mm), as well as a number of other small parts. Then I got into cleaning all of the oil soaked wood shavings out of all the cracks and crevices. I pulled the clutch and cover, found that the line for the bar oil had melted. So I went back and ordered a few more parts.

I've gotten pretty excited over this thing. I work at a contractor supply house and have it at my desk in the warehouse, tinkering with it in my spare time.

The saw is all in pieces right now. I'm sure I can take a few pictures to share, as well as share the rebuild.

I have also noticed that Huztl sells complete clone kits. I have been looking for something to do in my spare time over the winter. I think I might just buy one of the Stihl 070 kits and put it together. This may quickly become a new obsession of mine.

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

I tried hutzle on a husky i had. Did a little cleaning up on the cylinder and it was a good strong saw. As for the ruber parts like oil line and fuel etc. Id spend a little more and go oem.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I tried hutzle on a husky i had. Did a little cleaning up on the cylinder and it was a good strong saw. As for the ruber parts like oil line and fuel etc. Id spend a little more and go oem.

That is what I did. The oil feed line for the bar I was able to find oem for $12. I also Bought an OEM NOS bar that I found on ebay.

I thought about it, I started to clean up the cylinder and the piston. But for what the aftermarket parts cost I just bought the new ones. I will hold on to the original cylinder and I may try to hone it and see if it is salvageable.

Would also be a good saw to learn to port on if your into that.

Man someone really roached that saw! The huztl kits are fun. I have one of the ms361 kits, and will also second spending a little extra and buying some of the oem rubber parts. Quality is not quite there yet on some parts. 070 kit sounds fun, but I think the 660 kits are more practical and more liable for one to use. If I hadn't just bought another project saw, I would have done one of the 660 kits over winter break. Still might, but I need to sell a saw or two to further my CAD. By the way, welcome to AS! I think you will enjoy your time here and if you are lucky, this little project won't turn into an addiction and take over the garage.

034's are pretty torquey... Good find

I have an 034 open port, smaller jug than your and it is strong with a muffler mod and base gasket delete.

hmm

So there's enough clearance to remove the base gasket for the cylinder? What is used for a gasket then? Anaerobic sealer? I'll have to search the forums for these mods. Definitely sounds interesting.

hmm

So there's enough clearance to remove the base gasket for the cylinder? What is used for a gasket then? Anaerobic sealer? I'll have to search the forums for these mods. Definitely sounds interesting.

Yes the squish was above .020. I use hylomar blue not setting on my cylinders. Find it works a treat. If the squish is too low use Manilla envelope or beer can. The higher compression will give much more grunt. The muffler on my 034 was a knaxkered 'jungle' muffler. I bought a nice hyway muffler which had a pretty big port which I opened up a tad more.

It is called CAD, chainsaw acquisition disease, sounds like you already contracted it. Have fun.

It's not really a disease........it's more of a .......disorder....LOL!!

I'm obviously not a Stihl guy but have rebuilt a few 034 Supers.......I would have tried to clean your OEM cyl up.......the piston was toast but it looked like all you had was a bunch aluminum transfer.......if it would clean up with no fingernail hanging scratches you would be way ahead using that cyl and a new Meteor piston. Some far eastern P&C kits aren't bad but the less you spend the more hit or miss they become. Either way, the saw toasted for a reason....if you don't find the reason the new P&C will surely follow the old. I would replace both crank seals, the impulse line, fuel line and intake boot using all OEM parts to insure your new P&C will have the best chance of survival. If you clean and thoroughly inspect the boot and find it flexible and without any cracking or tearing that may be reused.......aftermarket rubber items and seals generally have a very short lifespan and all can/will cause engine failure if any of them fail.....worth the extra $$ to go OEM on those items. Good luck!!

Oh....if you do work on the old cyl don't use a hone......do a search on here "cleaning up aluminum transfer" I use brown scotch brite and acid myself.......takes some elbow grease and time....but doesn't alter the cyl plating..

Thanks for the insights. I'm definitely going to hold on to the original cylinder and I'll do what I can to get the clump of aluminum off the wall of it. Then I'll hone it and put it on the shelf.

I'm not really sure, but it looked like someone ran the saw without bar oil and overheated the bar and the saw itself. If I had taken a picture of the piston while the rings were still on it, There was aluminum covering the rings. As if they expanded too much and gouged the cylinder.

As for the intake boot, it basically looks brand new. The carb even looked like it had been gone through.

Thanks for the insights. I'm definitely going to hold on to the original cylinder and I'll do what I can to get the clump of aluminum off the wall of it. Then I'll hone it and put it on the shelf.

I'm not really sure, but it looked like someone ran the saw without bar oil and overheated the bar and the saw itself. If I had taken a picture of the piston while the rings were still on it, There was aluminum covering the rings. As if they expanded too much and gouged the cylinder.

As for the intake boot, it basically looks brand new. The carb even looked like it had been gone through.

Sounds good!! Curious......with your handle I assume you like Saabs?........

I can't say I've ever seen a swedish saw. I wouldn't say that I collect SAABs, I have owned many of them. Currently I have a silver '99 9-3 coupe as my daily and an '03 9-3 se Convertible with the Sport package. Last year for the body style, also 1 of 43 cars in the US with the same options.

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Latest posts

Back