Gas can

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hello folks. I'm in the market for a new gas can, one of those you can put oil in one side and gas in the other.

I checked a couple local outlets and what they have in stock is at a good price, but pretty cheap and lightweight. I'll accept plastic, but high-grade, probably dual-layer. So I called a couple of OPE stores, and the prices were, well, astounding. I can save a few bux by waiting until they have a big order...if the distributor has them. Nobody local carries high-quality ones.

So here's the question: how many have and like them, and what brand do you like? My B-I-L used to fight fires with the US Forest service, and they used a plastic can they called a "Dolmar" that held up well, but the Dolmar dealer I called couldn't say if the jug he can get is the same...I suspect the one he would order is a generic one from the new Dolmar distribution network, or maybe from Stens anyway.

Last edited:
I have one. I had one years ago and it got borrowed and not returned. I bought another one a couple of years ago and one thing I did not notice was that mine is not transparent which means you have to open the lid to see what is left which is a pain.

When you pour the oil you have to close the vent on the gas side or gas pours out of it which is a pain. If you leave the vent closed like I do then the auto pour spout struggles with an air lock.

Still, it beats carrying 2 cans up in the bush.

attachment.php

Thats a nice terrajet does it still float? I carry one can myself and use the flowngo nozzle just squeeze the handle and it pums gas through or hold it for steady flow works well for filing small tanks. I carry a couple 1l containers of bar oil seperate.

wedco's are somewhat transparent and scepters are not but both work well, i like the sceptor a little bit better

I have several different "saw jugs" and to be honest I can't stand them anymore.

Two clearish, 1 gallon chain lube jugs tied together with a 9" paracord are cheaper, faster, easier to use and easier to carry. Plus is they get run over or damaged or stolen or not returned, you aren't out much.

My opinion,

Sam

The FS uses what we sometimes use, we call them "Dolmar's" but the are actually Wedco's? Can't buy them in CA, but in OR they are around $12 I think.

The first plastic can I ever used was a Sachs-Dolmar can. Then they became just Dolmar cans. I've seen them run over by skidders or hit by tree's and not split open. They'd be mashed down, so you'd set them on a stump in the hot sun and they'd pop back into shape. Stihl even had them. Not sure who made Stihl's. I still have a brand new "Stihl" Dolmar can. Then Wedco started making them, but not near as strong.

Wedco...$12?

Count me in, eh! The Dolmar dealer wanted $24, Jonsered $30. Plus freight.
Unless I buy two (two to a carton, $40-ish...probably would anyway)
Stihl guy didnt seem like he wanted to bother with it.

Thanks, fellows. I appreciate it.

metal can vs plastic can???

An old timer told me years ago that storing gas in a metal can keeps better than storing it in a plastic. I never researched what he said and today I have both. I have a five gal. plastic for the lawn mower, snowblower, etc. and a little 2 gallon metal can with a white flexible hose with a red stopper that is held on by the metal screw-on cap. I love that little can. I don't think they make them anymore. I got this one at a yard sale.

I don't know if the little metal can would be good for a logger but for firewood I think it's great.

i have the wedco type for saws and snowmobiles with oil injection. to my mind theyre ok but not great. i find that if you use fuel/oil for fire starter or in other machines and the like that the balance goes off and theyre more trouble for the messes that ive made. personally i prefer 1 or 2 gallon wedcos with a couple of 1l bottles of bar oil but i use the combo can often.

An old timer told me years ago that storing gas in a metal can keeps better than storing it in a plastic. I never researched what he said and today I have both. I have a five gal. plastic for the lawn mower, snowblower, etc. and a little 2 gallon metal can with a white flexible hose with a red stopper that is held on by the metal screw-on cap. I love that little can. I don't think they make them anymore. I got this one at a yard sale.

I don't know if the little metal can would be good for a logger but for firewood I think it's great.

I liked them cans at least they did not leak! I don't like the
metal dumb azzed safety can friggin joke!

Back