give some honest advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i am looking for a bigger felling& bucking saw for firewood etc.,ok i go to a local saw dealer (not my normal dealer). he caries both echo and stihl.
got to comparing saws 60-80cc saws, weights capacities etc. oh and most of all price...
i got a price of a ms 441 and about fell over.... are you kidding me $899.00 for a 70.7 cc saw w 20" b&c?
what is so much better about the stihl for that price that makes me not want to buy a cs8000 for $50.00 less from the other dealer?
i was looking into the cs 680 with 27" b&c for $545.00 or the cs 8000 w 32"b&c for $849.00
is stihl trying to price themselves out of the market?
i just dont see the difference in price myself but enlighten me if you will....

I think the cs8000 is a great value. If I had $829 to spend, and had the choice between the ms441 and the cs8000, I would go for the extra 10cc and get the Echo.
I personally like Husqy. Sometimes brand loyalty can get you into trouble.
There's lots of considerations to make with such a big purchase, but if you have a good dealer near you, I would go for the better value. :)

Husky 576 carbed is $790.00 out the door here, 20" B&C. NH no sales tax.

You can probably find one for about that price from a higher volume dealer.

I'd link mine up, they ship, but that's verboten.

i want to say i have dealt with my echo shindaiwa dealer for over twenty years now, he treats me fairly and he is honest as the day is long....this other shop has quite a following more so because the other shop i deal with he is a german baptist..he has strict rules about swearing in his presence and most cant watch what they say...i respect him for that also...i once watched a guy trade two pigs for a saw at his shop...he didn't have cash and was needing a saw so the guy helped him out..
i am just curious why a lot of people on here swear by stihl... its like saying Mercedes is the only true brand of car...over priced and doesn't do anything the cheaper one will any better...lets face it in today's economy you have to be a bit concerned with the money situation....
now i do know a bit about brand loyalty and it has a lot to do with dealer service also.. that's why around here husky isn't an option... efco, poulan, dolmar, makita ,homelite, none of these can be serviced by a dealer directly selling these products..
2 choices stihl and echo... i had looked into a dealership for my cousin's shop he was going to run and none of these companies where interested in a private shop type of dealer, just the box stores...
i am glad now that didn't pan out but that's a whole nother story...
come on give us your opinions folks all here seem to have them, here is your opportunity.

50 buck more for a 441 are you kidding me A No Brainer! if you dont want stihl look at the 372 husky!

its not that i dont want a stihl, i just want to know what justifies the extra money for less cc wise?
basically sell me on the difference for the inflated price tag...

Last edited:
well in my mind you have covered the biggest thing about a stihl. No matter where you go you can find a dealer. I know personally that is huge to me. I cut alot of firewood. and where i live is not it a big forestry area at all. matter of fact there isn't any forestry within a 4 hour drive of me. I love being able to drive to any town that has more than 15k people and be able to find parts chains and high quality oil. That right there makes it worth it to me. Also the quantity of used parts that are available on the net. then the simple fact that it is a stihl. When u pay that extra fifty dollars you know what u got. And you also know in 7 to 10 years when it is time to rebuild her there will be parts there to do so. yet another huge thing to me. I like you like the idea that my money will get me something that will serve me well for a long long time!!

just for comparison

i am looking for a bigger felling& bucking saw for firewood etc.,ok i go to a local saw dealer (not my normal dealer). he caries both echo and stihl.
got to comparing saws 60-80cc saws, weights capacities etc. oh and most of all price...
i got a price of a ms 441 and about fell over.... are you kidding me $899.00 for a 70.7 cc saw w 20" b&c?
what is so much better about the stihl for that price that makes me not want to buy a cs8000 for $50.00 less from the other dealer?
i was looking into the cs 680 with 27" b&c for $545.00 or the cs 8000 w 32"b&c for $849.00
is stihl trying to price themselves out of the market?
i just dont see the difference in price myself but enlighten me if you will....

Last week at the local husky dealer, new 372xp, 819 schlomoliens...I had to ask.....

I ain't never buying any more brand new saws at those kinda prices, since I thought about it last week and compared saws to mowers. I was at a stihl dealer, he sells mowers too and was just gobsmacked thinking about it, looking at a new high end rear engine quality snapper rider, then thinking *they wanted the same cash for a new big saw*...WTH?? I mean I just slammed still on the sidewalk thinking about it, then got real annoyed.

NEW SAWS ARE A RIP!

Small engine device, air cooled, burns petroleum products. both need oil lube as well.. Mower got TEN TIMES the metal in it that has to be machined. Higher commodity cost, by a large factor, saws ain't built outta anything exotic really, plastic aluminum, magnesium and steel..same as mowers. Same cast cylinders and pistons, granted two strokes a scosh more cutting on them after casting, but still, in mass quantities...the mowers need a camshaft and valves, so that's a fair trade wash... Carbs get jobbed out, and are built about the same, the saw guys and mower guys don't make their own so that's a wash. The mowers got an additional electrical circuit for starting, plus a big battery, plus other stuff saws don't have, again, way more metals and machining required, plus loads more electrical and wire and so on! Four stroke mower got WAY more moving parts, again, more machining cost. Higher shipping cost due to weight and bulk. Everything is CAD/CAM now and automated factories, so that's a wash.

Saws aren't hand forged in some blacksmiths back yard one at a time, but they CHARGE like they are. Completely ridiculous. Now..ask why..ain't too many reasons why once you think on it besides price fixing at super high levels.

New saws from ANY manufacturer are a pure D ripoff, in my opinion. Over priced 300% or more. Someone is getting rich as croesus off these saws. Cartel price fixing? Can't prove it, will say it looks like it. Have to add a disclaimer, just my opinion, have no proof so can't state it as a fact...but just look at reality. the engineering reality is there, the manufacturing reality, the commodity bulk price reality, that's just data. There is NO reason for them to cost as much as they charge, and we obviously do *not* have effective saw competition, *else* we would have much cheaper saws available, in the mid size to large class. Those observations of just pure data sure don't leave a lot of reasons to choose from to explain things...

I am boycotting them, all of them, even if I hit the lottery. I've been POed all week thinking about it. I'll run used and keep em fixed from now on (no choice either...) Bought my last new saw at those sort of prices. They can bite me. I won't feed that gross ripoff scam. As long as guys keep shelling it out though, they will gladly keep taking the money! Only way to beat it is mass boycott and let them know they can't get away with it anymore.

Buy used man, from someone here on the classifieds, for that sort of money you can get *two* big saws, save your cash.

I got my husky570 online for 450 with a 20'' bar and 2 chains when everybody local wanted in the 600 range...Online is unfortunately the best way to go if you want the best price..I like giving local business a chance but somethings got to give..Another example is my splitter cylinder I just got..Everybody online was 399-420..I called a local place that specializes in hydraulics and 780 was what I was quoted for the same cylinder..Seriously 780 is what I said to the guy..And people wonder why local businesses dont last.

its not that i dont want a stihl, i just want to know what justifies the extra money for less cc wise?
basically sell me on the difference for the inflated price tag...

Everything! 50.00 buck more for that 441 you will kick your @ss for the rest of your life to pick the echo.........Just saying. Only other choice is the 372 imho! 50.00 please say your _ucking with me?

If your Echo dealer wasn't such a standout and upright gent, and just the two brands were compared on thier merits, Stihl would win on several points easily. Dealer network, saw performance(overall),Saw reliability, Dealer parts support. Compare at any point in the product line up and the equivalent Stihl will be lighter, faster, and more durable by a bit or vastly so.

Is it worth 50-100 bucks worth of Koolaid? LOL!!! Not with your gold plated dealer bieng close and covering both.

Take a look at Husky as well, IF ya have a good dealer to back ya up.
If not, stick with the Echo. Might be a smidge heavier and slower or whatever, but it wont really affect the hundreds of Cords cut up over the next ten years as much as the Dealer support.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

well in my mind you have covered the biggest thing about a stihl. No matter where you go you can find a dealer. I know personally that is huge to me. I cut alot of firewood. and where i live is not it a big forestry area at all. matter of fact there isn't any forestry within a 4 hour drive of me. I love being able to drive to any town that has more than 15k people and be able to find parts chains and high quality oil. That right there makes it worth it to me. Also the quantity of used parts that are available on the net. then the simple fact that it is a stihl. When u pay that extra fifty dollars you know what u got. And you also know in 7 to 10 years when it is time to rebuild her there will be parts there to do so. yet another huge thing to me. I like you like the idea that my money will get me something that will serve me well for a long long time!!

ok that said i like your way of thinking.... i ran poulans up till last year... i couldn't get anyone to service them...husky falls straight to that category here.. big box stores dont service what they sell, at least with out shipping it off for weeks on end..

i am a mechanic by trade i spend good money for tools when i know service life and reliability is warranted... echo's i have now run great haven't had one issue with them mechanically i have bought some saws used before resold them due to some of them being junk and some being not what i expected.. i will say zogger is right when stating what he has, but i have decided new is for me.. i have no time to spend working on saws when i should be cutting...i like both brands i just dont see what makes the extra $50.00 in price for 10 less cc's...
that said if i choose to go with the cs680 i get a real steal of a deal on it, that throws the stihls clear out of the equation....i want a standard 27" b&c and also a partime use 32" b&c with skip chain. i dont drop too many huge tree's i dont like to handle the huge rounds.... most of my cutting is 20" diam or less but want a big felling saw to handle bigger diam if needed..

Everything! 50.00 buck more for that 441 you will kick your @ss for the rest of your life to pick the echo.........Just saying. Only other choice is the 372 imho! 50.00 please say your _ucking with me?

ok your missing it here.. the 441 is $899.00 for a 70.7 cc saw /// the echo cs8000 80cc saw for fifty dollars less at $849.00
now that's said $545.00 for the cs 680 66.7cc saw is 4 less cc's and huge price diff..
the shindaiwa brand carried a 70 cc which is no longer offered...

Resale value

when i get done with them there is none either brand...my poulans i traded in, twenty years old where so worn that they would only run setting still.....turn them over they died..lol oh and if you can visually see movement in the crank up and down its probably shot....just a little info...

i have a friend that runs husky's but he considers them throw away saws....he will tell ya that also..
mainly due to no dealer base here....

ok that said i like your way of thinking.... i ran poulans up till last year... i couldn't get anyone to service them...husky falls straight to that category here.. big box stores dont service what they sell, at least with out shipping it off for weeks on end..

No Husqvarna dealers nearby?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

come on guys, lets hear something...........something other then its just cool to spend extra to say i have a stihl....

No Husqvarna dealers nearby?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

only two one is big orange store, the other is a big blue store with white trim.neither fix what they sell. and no pro saws in stock.... spec order only on anything bigger then 16" b&c

Back