give some honest advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My man, I wish you could have seen the new Solo 681 they had on ebay just a couple days ago. I think, but not sure it came with a 20" b/c for $724.00 shipped. That was a good deal. And the 681 is ...well its a 681 :) Just keep an eye out. I got my 681 brand new pho for $625.00 If I were you though, I would prolly just get a new Dolmar 7900.

The BIG money they get for the big saws is why I buy used stuff. Picked up my 064 w/ 25" bar & chain for $300.

As for the stihl vs echo thing. If I was spending $800 (which to me is big money) I would just feel more comfortable spending it on a Stihl or Husky. The Echo in the end might be just as good but I would simply feel more confidant that my cash was spent wisely with a Stihl or Husky.

The BIG money they get for the big saws is why I buy used stuff. Picked up my 064 w/ 25" bar & chain for $300.

As for the stihl vs echo thing. If I was spending $800 (which to me is big money) I would just feel more comfortable spending it on a Stihl or Husky. The Echo in the end might be just as good but I would simply feel more confidant that my cash was spent wisely with a Stihl or Husky.

+1

Well, first let me qualify my response by saying I don’t remember ever having personal experience with anything wearing an Echo badge… and I ain’t gonna’ mention any brand names, just colors.

I’m loyal to the Stihl brand… very loyal; right now all my two-cycle power equipment wears a Stihl badge, all were purchased new from a dealer 5 miles from me. I’ve owned the same equipment in various red, green, blue, yellow and black colors in the past and have had trouble with them all. Most would be good, reliable pieces the first year or maybe two, but then hard starting (especially hot), plug fouling, worn or loose bearings or parts, and flat out breakage begins… usually right after the warranty period ends. Even if the issue(s) began during the warranty, and because most were purchased at a big-box type store, finding warranty service and repair was near impossible.

Now here’s the real kicker… I started replacing my equipment with Stihl back in the early-80’s, and had it all replaced by the early-90’s, and I’ve never had to take a single Stihl piece back to the dealer for any reason… they just start, run and do their job… every time! I abuse the livin’ crap out of my stuff, I mean really abuse it. I don’t buy Stihl equipment designated as the “home owner” stuff; I pay up for the “professional” series type stuff… and it just flat works. For me, it’s “worth it” to pay the extra for the Stihl badge because of the piece-of-mind… I just know when I need it, it will start and run. I consider anything purchased at the “big-box” or “fleet” type stores (even the Husky models they sell) to be throw-a-ways.

Comparing the materials, design, machining and assembly between a 4-cycle lawn mower engine and hand-held 2-cycle designed to run at 10,000 RPM’s higher just ain’t a fair comparison. And although chainsaws may be overpriced, you still get what you pay for (relatively). Quality will cost you more; higher quality castings and machining, tighter tolerances, flawless and consistent steels and alloys, more aggressive quality control during manufacturing, the use of higher quality out-sourced parts, and building a huge dealer network as well as supplying them with high-grade parts, materials and training all costs money. And to say that they all have to out-source the same parts just ain’t true… did you know that Stihl is the only chainsaw manufacturer that makes their own cutting chain and bars? All others out-source it and have their name stamped on it. There is a difference between a saw that’s priced at $500.oo and one that’s priced at $800.oo… Is there a $300.oo difference? Well, that’s up to you to decide… How much is higher quality and piece-of-mind worth to you?

Is Stihl the only brand that will give you that piece-of-mind, high quality, and dealer support? Probably not, but where I’m at it is… I have two Stihl dealers within 5-miles from me, and ten dealers within 50-miles… and it seems like no matter where I go I see the black, orange and white “Stihl” dealer sign hanging from some little shop building (and I travel all over 6 states for work). I see a lot of loyalty for the Husky brand on this board, because of that I tend to believe that their “professional” type saws must also be top-notch… but I don’t see the dealer network, at least not yet. Echo? I can’t say I’ve seen an Echo dealer around here (but I’m not looking either), I only see them in the fleet type stores.

I ran into the same thing when I was looking for a similar sized saw in early 2010. I ended up going with a Dolmar 7900. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar dealers were all about the same distance away. I saved slightly more than $100 on the Dolmar vs the others.

well in my mind you have covered the biggest thing about a stihl. No matter where you go you can find a dealer. I know personally that is huge to me. I cut alot of firewood. and where i live is not it a big forestry area at all. matter of fact there isn't any forestry within a 4 hour drive of me. I love being able to drive to any town that has more than 15k people and be able to find parts chains and high quality oil. That right there makes it worth it to me. Also the quantity of used parts that are available on the net. then the simple fact that it is a stihl. When u pay that extra fifty dollars you know what u got. And you also know in 7 to 10 years when it is time to rebuild her there will be parts there to do so. yet another huge thing to me. I like you like the idea that my money will get me something that will serve me well for a long long time!!

I run 3 stihls (bought new) and 1 husky (51) from a pawn shop. Why Stihl? two reasons. Two dealers in reasonable distance and the biggee why not Husky - I went shopping in two different Husky dealerships - both of the rental outfits. Outfit one I got laughed at because I told them I had 22 trees to put down. (wound up the season with somewhere around 30). 2nd dealer? He wasn't interested in talking to me even when I told him I wanted a new Husky. He kept putting rental customers in front of me.

Harry K

I run 3 stihls (bought new) and 1 husky (51) from a pawn shop. Why Stihl? two reasons. Two dealers in reasonable distance and the biggee why not Husky - I went shopping in two different Husky dealerships - both of the rental outfits. Outfit one I got laughed at because I told them I had 22 trees to put down. (wound up the season with somewhere around 30). 2nd dealer? He wasn't interested in talking to me even when I told him I wanted a new Husky. He kept putting rental customers in front of me.

Harry K

I forgot to add that if you are spending in the $1,000 neighborhood, $50 should not be a deal breaker. Make the decision on other factors.

Harry K

ok i will say this... to all that swear by dolmar, johnsered,and solo... they are good saws just no dealers close... also if you aren't careful when buying new saws on internet the warranty is void on most.. i have two stihl dealers close but five echo dealers....that said only one stihl dealer is priced right but he is higher then i think is justified as seen above... the other is even higher on pricing....
i am still considering a stihl, but you haven't yet sold me on one ...i am interested in a saw between 65-80cc's... and 27&32"b&c....i have received some good points....just keep it coming...

Check prices based on "Out the door" package deals, with both bars and a couple chains for each. Sometimes this is where you can come a little closer in line, but likely the Stihl is gonna be higher yet, they're pretty proud of their bars.

If I were you, I'd go with the 680, and a shorter main bar, 20 or maybe 24 inches. Have the dealer fit all 3 for ya, and pick the one that balances best. On my Dolmar, that's a 20", and once I went from the 24 it came with to a 20, I liked using it all day a lot more. Balance matters after a few hours. I also have a 34" with skip for the big stuff, but it doesn't see a whole lot of use. Sure is handy to have when it's needed though.

The reason I wouldn't go with the 8000, is unless you're cutting big wood constantly, it's a big heavy saw that you're not gonna want to use unless you have to. It's 16 1/2 lbs and chassis size wise it's 660/395 territory, sure not your average firewooder's saw.

Ya really do need a Dolmar though :hmm3grin2orange:

If Stihl, you may wanna consider the 441 with the M-tronic I believe. I hear these are very nice saws. Or a 440. Cant go wrong with a 440. :)

saws

just buy the power head from the dealer. buy your bar and chain from baileys. save $$. I don't do this but this may be a way for you to save 50 bucks.
I've dropped stihls 20' out of a tree, they never stopped running, run over a husky, it still ran fine, had to replace the fuel tank. Retired my echo topping saw when I bought two 200t's, when one 200t went down with a seized engine I pulled the echo out of the shed, after 10 years, put in fresh fuel and it runs fine (it's no 200t though). Running a tree business I only buy stihl or husky, an under performing or non running saw can cost me 1-2k per day. So I think it boils down to what the saw is worth to you. I can't do tree work without a saw, so I buy what I believe are the best saws available. My saws run everyday, If you don't put this kind of demand on a saw you can buy almost any brand, keep the chain sharp and bar properly filed, aligned, and you should be fine.

Let me see if I got this right. 10 year useful life = 3,650 days divided by 50.00 dollars is how much per day less than .02. No brainer for me.

This strikes me....

1. $900 is a smidge too much to pay for a 441. I bought my 460 last spring for $860 plus tax. 25" B&C
2. $50 on a $900 purchase is nothing to complain about. Thats a normal fluctuation from one brand (and quality) to another.
3. Comparing a 10,000 + rpm handheld gas motor to some cheap motor, wheels and bent metal is otherworldly. And youre a mechanic!!!!

Are you telling me there is no difference between a Snap On Ratchet and something from China??

One little comment to add here - the warranty that a company puts on a product says a lot about how that company thinks their product will last. Echo has good warranties.
I've got an Echo, Husky, and a Stihl, and I'm happy with all of them, but I can't compare them since they're all very different saws.

Latest posts

Back