give some honest advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cs 680

I have a CS 680 and I absolutely love the saw. It has been durable, and can take a hard day of cutting, as long as you run a good sharp chain on her. I bought mine from a local dealer "NOT HOMO DEPOT" and feel the service is equivalent if not better than a Stihl dealer. Modification parts are difficult to find, spikes and such, I am modding some Husky spikes to fit mine.

I have a cs310 520 and 8000, very pleased with all of them. Got my 8000 off CL for 400 bucks and it included a 24 and 36 inch bar and 2 chains for each. I put an $85 carb on it and now it's an excellent saw. I have a good echo dealer a mile from my house. I find echo products to be very reliable.

I recently inquired about a 441 mtronic at my local shop. it was $750 with a 30" bar and $740 with a 20" bar. It would be about $40 cheaper for me to order the 441 with the big bar and buy the 20" bar and chain after compared to buying the 20" 441 off the shelf and buying a 30" bar.

I didn't buy anything yet because I have the same dilema as you I'm torn between the stihl 441, echo 680 and a dolmar 7900.

I'm an auction guy, around here Stihl will always bring more money at sales. Crap, even the little 170's go for very close to new price at sales. Huskys start low and sell for decent deals usually. Echos are a tough sell almost as bab as poulan. I don't think I've ever seen a Dolmar at a sale, owners must be real pround of them. FYI, we have a dealer about 20 miles away but I've never seen anybody with one. Stihl would be the biggest percentage of saws around here.

I didn't buy anything yet because I have the same dilema as you I'm torn between the stihl 441, echo 680 and a dolmar 7900.

FWIW, I have an Echo 670 & a Dolkita 6401. Having run them both extensively, I'd go for the 7900. Can't comment on Stihl. My first Stihl was an 026, bought it new, always unreliable, sold it on eBay... Bought a used MS 460 last Fall for $280 ("why not?" purchase), have yet to be able to try it out (long story).

I would get a 441 M-Tronics but that is just me. I think they are very nice saws.

Just my opinion,

Shane

I would buy a new Dolmar 7900. I have run mine for over two years and no problems or complaints. Very good vib control, power to weight ratio, and priced right. I called my local dealer and I can get a new 7900 with 24 inch bar and chain for $800 which is about $400 less than a comparable stihl. I think stihl makes good saws, as many company's do. Dolmar, Makita, Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo ect. Best bang for the buck is the Dolmar IMO. A good saw will almost sell itself by word of mouth, and the reason stihl is so expensive is they have a drove of only Stihl brainwashed customers, and they have to find a way to pay for their add campaign. When is the last time you went anywhere without seeing Stihl advertising, books, magazines, tv, posters, on and on they sell the most due to a good name and massive advertising. They also have more dealers around the U.S. than the rest.

Latest posts

Back