going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I really REALLY wanted an 044, and I found a really REALLY nice one. The 7900 was near new, but, ya know what, I dont care. Life is too short to worry about a few bucks. I am happy with my sweet 044, and the 7900 owner is happy with it.

Well I must say when it comes to handling in the 70cc range the 044 has no peer.

2000 send me his 044 uphere once. I don't know what the hell he had done to that saw or did to it himself but it was one bad MOFO. That saw would bury my 7900 and 460 and 372. That was one fast cutting bi-tch. I shoulda just kept that saw and not sent it back to him, saying that saw was impressive is a under statement. I shoulda stole that saw,LOLOLOL

Do you really think I am so shallow to think that higher price always means better quality?

You said it, not me. I guess there was a hidden disclaimer there I missed.:)
I have no problem with Stihl, I wanted a 460 bad, but just didn't want to have to afford it. If it didn't cost what it did I would have owned it and never looked at a 7900 but I went looking to comparable saws, I'm happy I did, I'm happy with the 7900, I would still love to have a 460, probably won't happen any time soon. Right now in these times bang for the buck matters and the 7900 fits the bill:cheers:

I have no problem with Stihl, I wanted a 460 bad, but just didn't want to have to afford it. If it didn't cost what it did I would have owned it and never looked at a 7900 but I went looking to comparable saws, I'm happy I did, I'm happy with the 7900, I would still love to have a 460, probably won't happen any time soon. Right now in these times bang for the buck matters and the 7900 fits the bill:cheers:

Oh heck, no offense meant. The 7900 is a fantastic, super powerful saw! Great bang for the buck. Thats the beauty of whats left of the free world of The United States! I like Stihls, (and most all chainsaws in general, cept the damn new "Macs").

Heres to you :cheers: and heres to me :cheers: if we should ever disagree...**** you, and heres to me!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

LMAOOO!!!!

Well that must explain it then. Dolmar is pulling a ploy. They are getting all the guys that can't swing a Stihl, them sumab-tches.

Stand back, I'm gonna open up my silo launcher and send them a kaboomy. I'm gonna makem get their prices in line by damaging their factory. They will raise prices right away to get the thier roof fixed,LOLOLOLOLOL

I have owned a 7900, and it screams. I ran SawinRednecks 460, and it screams. I am kind of a fanboy, because I havent found anything that equals the design and build quality of Pro grade Stihl saws. The Dolmar is a good saw, as are Huskys pro saws. But, in my opinion, there is just something about a Stihl chainsaw. OHH, I know what it is, build quality and undying power, then there is parts interchangeability. Yep, they are a little more expensive, but, ya get what ya pay for.

hey bow,
i'm glad you posted again, as you owned a 7900.
lets assume i only cut about 6 cord per year. lets just say. hypothetically. ;)
are you saying that dolmar is on par with husky pro saws in this application?
do you think the build quality or lack of 'undying power' would become a problem for me?
seriously, you owned one, without the fanboy coming out; is the 7900 not worth the price of admission?

Well that must explain it then. Dolmar is pulling a ploy. They are getting all the guys that can't swing a Stihl, them sumab-tches.

Stand back, I'm gonna open up my silo launcher and send them a kaboomy. I'm gonna makem get their prices in line by damaging their factory. They will raise prices right away to get the thier roof fixed,LOLOLOLOLOL

Now Thall take it easy, don't be a sending no fan mail by means of SAMS. I will still need parts for that thing. I don't need another "hard to get parts for" english bike type deal. I promise my next saw will be a Stihl just close the Silo and pretend there's corn in that baby:cheers:

hey bow,
i'm glad you posted again, as you owned a 7900.
lets assume i only cut about 6 cord per year. lets just say. hypothetically. ;)
are you saying that dolmar is on par with husky pro saws in this application?
do you think the build quality or lack of 'undying power' would become a problem for me?
seriously, you owned one, without the fanboy coming out; is the 7900 not worth the price of admission?

Sure, Sure, and Sure. But, your 361 will quit curing cancer if you dont compliment it with a 460!!!! :cheers:

For a firewood cutter, or similar, the 7900 will last all your days if maintained properly. I have a few issues with the design, and they have been beaten to death here on AS. But nobody that has run can argue with the power they make.

Now Thall take it easy, don't be a sending no fan mail by means of SAMS. I will still need parts for that thing. I don't need another "hard to get parts for" english bike type deal. I promise my next saw will be a Stihl just close the Silo and pretend there's corn in that baby:cheers:

Awwwwwwwwwwww ok, I crank the silo shut. Man you caught me just in time, I had the missle loaded with my shoe and ready to go,LOLOL

CHInese COMmunist

Cheap crappy junk

So what does that have to do with Dolmar, I didn't buy Chinese, and if it is I'll be pissed. You don't need to explain anything about the Chinese to me, I work in the steel buisness my bread and butter comes from US made steel, them free loading, steel dumping, unfair trading basturds are putting a hurting to our buisness.:cry:

So what does that have to do with Dolmar, I didn't buy Chinese, and if it is I'll be pissed. You don't need to explain anything about the Chinese to me, I work in the steel buisness my bread and butter comes from US made steel, them free loading, steel dumping, unfair trading basturds are putting a hurting to our buisness.:cry:

But, But But, you just asked him what ChiCom meant!??

I have no beef with the 7900, never even run, so how could I? If I would have come across a screaming deal on one, like I did on my 046, I would probably own one.

Honestly, after running Bowties 064 thats probably what I would own. It weighs about the same as the 046, and burries it in big wood!!!
Then compliment it with an 044 or 372. But we have been all over this before.

I have a few issues with the design, and they have been beaten to death here on AS. But nobody that has run can argue with the power they make.

The issues I have with the Dolmar is the chain adjuster, and I don't know that it is ever going to be a problem. I'm just used to Stihl I have only ran and owned Stihls before this Dolmar so seeing it in the clutch cover is different??? The other is the goofy looking bucking spikes, no matter how hard I try I just can't warm up to them. I've seen warnings about the air filter also, mine is the upgraded one so far no real issue, but I think it could be improved on. Other than that I think it is a quality saw, it doesn't feel like it is cheaply made or a chicom model:)

But, But But, you just asked him what ChiCom meant!??

Yes and no, he refered to me as a Wal-mart enthusist saying the wal-mart chi-com rolls the carpet out for me, I took that as I bought cheap chinese stuff because I bought the Dolmar in lieu of the Stihl. :)

It was a good natured jab at you saying expensive isn't always the best.. yep, but neither is "cheap"::)

The issues I have with the Dolmar is the chain adjuster, and I don't know that it is ever going to be a problem. I'm just used to Stihl I have only ran and owned Stihls before this Dolmar so seeing it in the clutch cover is different??? The other is the goofy looking bucking spikes, no matter how hard I try I just can't warm up to them. I've seen warnings about the air filter also, mine is the upgraded one so far no real issue, but I think it could be improved on. Other than that I think it is a quality saw, it doesn't feel like it is cheaply made or a chicom model:)

Good Post. I made a custom set of 066 style dawgs for the 7900 I had. The chain adjuster in the clutch cover didnt set well with me. The air filter was terrible, but i hear they made a better one that ya have to buy.

But, all makes have had their problems. Dolmar isnt Chinese, they are German, but Im sure some parts are made there, not unlike any other brand.

Good Post. I made a custom set of 066 style dawgs for the 7900 I had. The chain adjuster in the clutch cover didnt set well with me. The air filter was terrible, but i hear they made a better one that ya have to buy.

But, all makes have had their problems. Dolmar isnt Chinese, they are German, but Im sure some parts are made there, not unlike any other brand.

Only china parts on a dolmar are the stihl / Zama carburetors.

so, lets say...
the 7900 and the 460 are the same price and i have both dealers next door to me.
what then?

Buy the stihl ebay it then buy the Dolmar and pocket the difference.

Latest posts

Back