Going to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariena

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm going to buy from my local dealer tomorrow either a Stihl MS250 or a MS290.
Which one? I will follow your advice.

Have to hear more about your saw needs, as they are very different saws.

Aaaaaaaaaa, Niko's going to love this thread.

Yes, tell us about what you are going to cut. Both are dependable homeowner saws. Both will put plenty of wood on the ground.

On another not so distant thread they were making out like the 290's are flying off the shelves like hot cakes - better get one while you can:msp_ohmy:. The difference in price between the 250 and 290 is around $100.

The 290's are being phased out for the 291 (which is environmentally tweaked). The 290 is $50 more than the 250 here in Canada.

The 290's are being phased out for the 291 (which is environmentally tweaked). The 290 is $50 more than the 250 here in Canada.
That's a hell of a deal price-wise..!! - If you don't mind the extra weight of the 290...then it's a closed decision...

I'd get the 290 with a 16" or 18" (max) bar if it was me...you won't like it with a 20" bar and chain..!!...JMHO..!!

And you SURE ain't gonna like a 250 with an 18" bar..but that's how they come now-days..at least here in the U.S.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Here are the two I have

DSC_9346.jpg

Weight on Stihl site show 10.1 lbs on MS 250 and 13. lbs on the MS 290

Homeowner Chain Saws - Mid Range Chainsaw Features | STIHL USA

Farm & Ranch Chain Saws - Powerful Mid-Range Use Chainsaws | STIHL USA

I run 18" b/c on both those saw's here in the PNW with no problems

Couldn't tell ya how many tanks of fuel have been used in them; any thing from 16" inch dia wood

There are guys on here (AS) that use the 250 for all or most of there fire wood needs

I own the MS250 and its a nice light saw in my book, I use it for my firewood saw and it keeps on a cutting without any problems. My 026 and EFCO 165 sit by waiting for the 250's death...haha

But...

I'd get the MS290 if the price between the two is close ($ 50-75), the 290 can become the MS390 some day with the P/C upgrade :)

Buy the 290. Once you get home, do a little tasteful mod to the muffler and pull the carb limiters.

If you get the smaller saw, you will always wonder how much better the 290 would have been. That said, the 250 is a good saw for what it is. 290 also has an adjustable oiler where the 250 does not.

Actually..you "have the ball in your court"

Stihl has a policy of a 7-day return and upgrade to a larger and more expensive saw.

So...you buy the 250 and don't like it...take it back to the dealer and buy the 290.

You can't get your $$ back on the purchase of the 250...but what you paid will be applied to the 290.
(and you can't go down in price like 290 to 250....only up in price.)

Most folks don't know this...and Stihl doesn't advertise it...but it is their policy.
:cheers:
J2F

Don't drink the koolaid!!!

Stihl is gold plated hype! I had the 290 farm boss and the thing if you run it out of fule when using it your going to have a bit*h to restart it. Told the dealership about the probelem and his answer was "Well don't run it out of fule" Was not the answer i was looking for! Sold it to my neighbor he is into Koolaid, and don't know crap about a saw but thinks he dose, so good buy saw and never again. Would look at some other saws before you buy like the pro Huskies or Johnsrude, Echo also makes only a pro saw not sumer grade the difference is 300 hour saw vs a 3000 hour saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back