Going to look at a 395 xp tonight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
less than 40 hours on it, has a 32" inch bar and a 24" with chain that was on the saw new and never used .What should i look for on this saw . I will be able to cut with it prior to purchase as he owns a stove shop and has some wood outside .He also said he had the original sprocket that was on the saw had a bad connection , I gathered he put a an aftermarket on for more performance? Price is 600$ firm. Is it a fair price I know they are around 1200 new

If it were me, I would pull the muffler and take a look at the Cylinder.
See how it starts and idles.
Does it look like whoever owned it took care of it? Very Dirty, or clean?
Pull the clutch cover.
Look for chain rash.
Does the end of the crank look like it has ever been lubed?
I guess my ignorance is showing through, but the only sproket I know of is in a bar tip, and it had a bad connection? Not put on the bar correctly?
You can tell if a saw is cared for and loved, or just used and abused.

Give me his number if you don't buy it.

I will let ya know

If it were me, I would pull the muffler and take a look at the Cylinder.
See how it starts and idles.
Does it look like whoever owned it took care of it? Very Dirty, or clean?
Pull the clutch cover.
Look for chain rash.
Does the end of the crank look like it has ever been lubed?
I guess my ignorance is showing through, but the only sproket I know of is in a bar tip, and it had a bad connection? Not put on the bar correctly?
You can tell if a saw is cared for and loved, or just used and abused.

saw looks very clean from the pictures .He replaced the drive sprocket not the bar tip sprocket I think he said he put a larger chain or some such thing .

less than 40 hours on it, has a 32" inch bar and a 24" with chain that was on the saw new and never used .What should i look for on this saw . I will be able to cut with it prior to purchase as he owns a stove shop and has some wood outside .He also said he had the original sprocket that was on the saw had a bad connection , I gathered he put a an aftermarket on for more performance? Price is 600$ firm. Is it a fair price I know they are around 1200 new

The saw may have been purchased with a 3/8 x 7 drive rim on it, if the owner knows how to sharpen a chain and operate a saw then he probably put an 3/8 x 8 on it so he could actually get sometime done with the saw.

If it came with a 3/8 x 8 and he switched it over to a 7 in order to run a 24" and 36" bar and chain setups then look that saw over carefully because he probably likes to use the power of the engine to drag a dull chain through everything he cuts while he pushs and pulls like manly man.

I have yet to meet a stranger selling a chainsaw that would let me take parts off the saw before I purchased it. I buy A LOT of saws.

Start it up, cut with it, get it good and warm, shut it down, start it up. Flip it around while it is running and listen for changes to idle speed.

The saw may have been purchased with a 3/8 x 7 drive rim on it, if the owner knows how to sharpen a chain and operate a saw then he probably put an 3/8 x 8 on it so he could actually get sometime done with the saw.

If it came with a 3/8 x 8 and he switched it over to a 7 in order to run a 24" and 36" bar and chain setups then look that saw over carefully because he probably likes to use the power of the engine to drag a dull chain through everything he cuts while he pushs and pulls like manly man.

I have yet to meet a stranger selling a chainsaw that would let me take parts off the saw before I purchased it. I buy A LOT of saws.

Start it up, cut with it, get it good and warm, shut it down, start it up. Flip it around while it is running and listen for changes to idle speed.

Bunch of BS, He may have changed the sprocket, or not, comes down to some like a 7 some like 8, and some times you have to run one or the other depending on what bar and chains you have around. But if the saw has a 7 it no way means its been over worked, just check the saw out good and thats it. Dont buy into BS like this! LOL

I went to his place of business at the time we agreed on .... closed and no answer on the phone left him two messages with no response . Maybe sold or had an emergency

I'd badger him ! find out WTF the deal is . maybe he realized he could get more $$$ , and welched out on you , in which case he gets a BIG :msp_thumbdn:

I love my 395xp. $600 is a good price for low use.

You should be able to get a good idea if the piston and cylinder are OK by pulling it over without pushing the decomp button. It should be quite difficult to pull it over.

If you get it, I would highly recommend sending it off to Mastermind for a woods porting. I just got mine back from him and the power is pretty amazing.

Back