Going to purchase a big saw, opinons wanted.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have use about 5-6 times a year for a saw bigger than my 036 and that's reason enough for me to be saw shopping. Money is a bit of an issue but not the only one and I was looking into an 8000 Echo instead of a 650/660 stihl. Dealer sells Jonsered also and he is realy leaning on me to go with a 2186 that sells for just a bit less money and he claims is a better saw. He says that the Jonsered is not simply a Husky in a different body but has it's own internal differances. Is this a 385 in different clothes or not? Price with a 32-36" bar is $819 which seems OK for the little shopping I have done and about on par with a 385 price in a Northern Hydraulic book that just came today. I like my Stihls but I don't bleed orange and white and there is more than a bit of money to be saved. How bout some help with my decision?

Definitely look at the PS7900 Dolmar. I just had a logger take my demo saw for a week. He said it was neck and neck with the Stihl 650. Sometimes the Dolmar was faster, sometimes the Stihl. I PM'ed you with a quote. I stock all parts for that series saw, and I'm only a day away shipping.

Butch-if you only use it 5-6 times a year, and money is somewhat of an issue consider a used saw. People here have given a lot good advice on how to buy a used saw. Maybe a Husky 394, 395 or a Stihl 066. These are proven, powerfull saws and maybe you could pick up a good used one for $300-400.

Hello,Butch. I like my 8000 Echo a lot and I am looking into "modding"it up.It is a well built saw,with adequate power,but needs a little more.But the 7900 Dolmar,thats a horse of a different color.Lots of power and really impressive.Having a good dealer close by makes all the difference though.You wont go wrong with Stihl ,Husky or Echo for sure.

clearance said:
Butch-if you only use it 5-6 times a year, and money is somewhat of an issue consider a used saw. People here have given a lot good advice on how to buy a used saw. Maybe a Husky 394, 395 or a Stihl 066. These are proven, powerfull saws and maybe you could pick up a good used one for $300-400.

Why not just buy a good and quality used saw from one of the regulars here !

There seems to be always plenty being traded, bartered and sold.

OK guys, lay your deals on me

Guess I didnt think about buying used. I wouldnt think of going to Ebay for what I am after. I would only consider slighty used, current model preferably, size range of 650/660 Stihl, 385 Husky, 8000 Echo, dont know a thing about Dolamrs etc but lay em on me. Need to run a 36" bar decently for felling and up the trunk until my trusted 036 can take over. Don't need to race, realy dont want a classic old so and so either. Private E-mail OK or whatever, Thanks guys

I have a 7900 and it runs pretty good I dont know how the saw will last it is still new I also have a 385 husky that runs realy strong with about 5-8 cords of wood on it I will sell both saws You can call me or email me Thanks Mike

For whatever it is worth I have been pleasantly surprised when recently buying new parts for older Echo and Dolmar/Makita saws that I am fixing up. For most saw brands I prepare myself to pay twice what I think the part should cost, but the part usually costs twice again that much, especially for Jonsered and Husqvarna.

The 066 is a perfect companion for the 036.  It's worth the money.  Spring for it; you will not regret doing so; this from my direct experience as that's the main pair in my stable.

Glen

066 mag

I say go with Glen I love my 066 mag it was worth the extra money they last forever and You will only have to buy the saw once. Then after its life is going you can part it out and make some of your money back. Or keep it and get another and frankestine them together. Go with the 066 or 660 mag they are worth it.

Back