Going to run out of wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I underestimated this year, and it looks like I'll be out of wood in mid-January. I already burned all the elm and maple, and now I'm onto the stuff I was saving for the cold months - oak, hickory and mulberry. Got less than a cord left. :msp_sad:

Oh well. Maybe I can steal some from my neighbor, but now that he's got his own pickup, he won't be borrowing mine anymore, which means I will feel more guilty for stealing his wood. Can't be helped. Maybe I'll give him a can of 2-stroke oil in return. :D

3000 post and your going to run out in mid Jan.? lol I am only setting on 4-1/2 cords of hickory with a furnace myself seasoned that is. See what happens bringing in about 3 cords of black locust and mulberry now. May have to use a little.

If you can cut some green wood, split it real small, and store it right near your stove, you might get a system going.
3 years ago I did just that. I kept a stacked semi circle of green wood around my stove about 16" high, while burning seasoned wood. Then, as it dried, I would grab one of the dry stacks to burn, replacing it with green, until I worked my way around the semi-circle and then started over. I split the wood very small, (about 2-3" high/deep) which was time consuming, but it worked quite well.
The wood never got that 'sun-dried' look to it, but it was pretty dry and burned well.

Even with seasoned wood, I try to keep a few days' worth right next to the stove.

An Order

This is an order ( you may call me "sir"....again ) :

Under no circumstances are any of you to start a charity for such a slug-a-bed ( we're being polite here due to my bid for ban camp ) as Moustachio Pete for wood.
This is a "give a man a fish" site. It is a Darwinian world where the genes are replicated from those who deserve such.
Any banjo who enters winter in the northern latitudes without proper means to heat their family does not deserve to reproduce. End.

...and so it is written.:boss:

Do not burn green wood,
Do not burn wet punky wood.

Nah- I don't burn green or punky, but I might sometimes be found burning the occasional olive drab and crunchy.

Sorry Uncle'stache , I had parted with 6 heapin' truck loads of good seasoned hard woods this past Sept. tryin' to get my wood shed built.. the poor weather around here has me short on seasoned wood. I'm probably 4 hours north east of you,,if you wanna make the drive,,(BRING BEER),,I'll load ya' up with some good wet hard woods,,just pull it off the stack(BRING BEER) and load your trailer to the top,,(BRING BEER),,Oh yeah,,BRING BEER!!!:eek:uttahere2:

Will root beer do? That's all I drink. In fact, I'm taking at least a case of several different varieties to my brothers house for Christmas and we'll have a tasting party. I've even found a brand called "Dang That's Good" root beer! Can't wait to try that one.

4 hours is a bit far. If you deliver, unload, stack, and carry the first load into the house, I'll give you a coupon for 50% off your next bottle of Bud Light at the local tavern. Deal?

3000 post and your going to run out in mid Jan.?

Disgusting, isn't it? I'm obviously some kind of keyboard logger, who only talks big and never gets out of his recliner. My secret is out!:msp_ohmy:

This is an order ( you may call me "sir"....again ) :
Under no circumstances are any of you to start a charity for such a slug-a-bed ( we're being polite here due to my bid for ban camp ) as Moustachio Pete for wood.
This is a "give a man a fish" site. It is a Darwinian world where the genes are replicated from those who deserve such.
Any banjo who enters winter in the northern latitudes without proper means to heat their family does not deserve to reproduce. End.
...and so it is written.:boss:

Darn! And here I thought I had it made. Guess I'll have to get out into the real world and work my way up. Does this mean I can go back to voting conservative again??? :smile2:

Wish you were closer, we have places with loads of seasoned walnut tops we won't touch, because no one will buy it, we could get you 8-10 cord of it processed up in a day. Six hours is just a tad far to deliver.lol
Even with the wood being free.

Wow - I must say, I'm really touched by all these generous offers - people offering me free wood from all over the place. Even got a PM from a newbie with a free wood offer!

Really, though - I'm not whining or begging - I just thought it might be a fun thing to post and talk about. I'll be just fine even if I do run out. There are hundreds of standing dead trees within 2 miles of me, I've got two farmers with woods where I can cut, plus a neighbor who'll give me whatever I want, a lumber store that's always tossing out pallets, and lots of people nearby who will be glad to sell me some. I've got a perfectly good boiler (not efficient, but it heats the house just fine), and even some electric space heaters.

To cut it short - we're not going to freeze this winter (or even get cold for that matter), and I don't need any handouts, as much as I've joked about it.

But really - I gotta say that you all are awesome. What a great community this place is. I sent a few bucks to Stumpy tonight and I don't even know who he is but that he's an AS member who lost his shop and livelyhood and needs some help. I hope you all can find the means to also help him out if you haven't already.
This place is awesome, and you guys are the best!!!:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Nah- I don't burn green or punky, but I might sometimes be found burning the occasional olive drab and crunchy.

Will root beer do? That's all I drink. In fact, I'm taking at least a case of several different varieties to my brothers house for Christmas and we'll have a tasting party. I've even found a brand called "Dang That's Good" root beer! Can't wait to try that one.

4 hours is a bit far. If you deliver, unload, stack, and carry the first load into the house, I'll give you a coupon for 50% off your next bottle of Bud Light at the local tavern. Deal?

:frown:,,I better pass on that one. might put me gone long enough to where the wife would get to missing me,, Although the root beer sounds good,,and the stackin' and packin' and sech,,well, that aint too raw either,,it's jest that I'm a skeered you'd have me shovel the ashes outta yer stove while I was there.. and that my friend,, would be a looong row to ho',,,speakin' of HO's,,I'm on my way to do some some slummin' over on that other thread,,, maybe do some trollin' and Ho'in,,,Good Luck Pal, yer' on your own,,:rock: See ya over in the ghettoes,,

:frown:,,I better pass on that one. might put me gone long enough to where the wife would get to missing me,, Although the root beer sounds good,,and the stackin' and packin' and sech,,well, that aint too raw either,,it's jest that I'm a skeered you'd have me shovel the ashes outta yer stove while I was there.. and that my friend,, would be a looong row to ho',,,speakin' of HO's,,I'm on my way to do some some slummin' over on that other thread,,, maybe do some trollin' and Ho'in,,,Good Luck Pal, yer' on your own,,:rock: See ya over in the ghettoes,,

Indian giver. :msp_mad::msp_mad:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well, after limping along on some scrounged stuff, and a few free "pick-it-up-before-I-throw-it-away" kind of piles, I'm now officially out. The last lump of wood is in the stove, and it's going out.

Not to fear, though. There's a tree guy not too terribly far away that will let me load up my truck for $65. Not a bad price at all, and I appreciate the self-pickup and load feature. I expect to pay a bit more, though, for I'm going to put some racks on there and load that sucker full. I hope it's dried and not sycamore or willow!

Latest posts

Back