going up, coming down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madsen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am very new to the world of tree climbing. The little experience I have is right outside my house, six feet off the ground. The only equipment I have are three carbineers, some perlon and a rope. I have been using a spanish bowline as a harness and as you get imagine it hurts... a lot. I have two questions,

one, will a static rock climbing rope work for tree climbing?

and

two, going from prusiking to rapping isn't as seemless as I would like it too be. How do most people do this? Does it require that you introduce a new piece of hardware before you decend. For those who use a figure eight, where is it as you climb?

I would like to avoid buying expensive gear if at all possible.

Crikey mate, you better head over to the video section and check it out. Using double rope, both ends, takes a lot of friction off the prussick an hence we have a working system that can both ascend and descend.

Crikey mate, you better head over to the video section and check it out. Using double rope, both ends, takes a lot of friction off the prussick an hence we have a working system that can both ascend and descend.

+1
The rock climbing lines that I have seen people try to use for tree climbing seem to wear out very fast.
Yes rappelling on an 8 or a munter requires a separate rope from the double rope working line.
When I used a figure 8 it stayed clipped to the back of my saddle with a 'biner. Now I just use a munter hitch, one less piece to carry.

I am very new to the world of tree climbing. The little experience I have is right outside my house, six feet off the ground. The only equipment I have are three carbineers, some perlon and a rope. I have been using a spanish bowline as a harness and as you get imagine it hurts... a lot. I have two questions,

and

two, going from prusiking to rapping isn't as seemless as I would like it too be. How do most people do this? Does it require that you introduce a new piece of hardware before you decend. For those who use a figure eight, where is it as you climb?

I don't have any knowledge about the rock rope, or descending on an 8, I always descend on my friction hitch, but thats on a dynamic ddrt system.

One thing I can say, buy a saddle and save your body the torture of using a rope saddle, and get the tree climbers companion, it'll graphically show you lots of new techinques to help you in tree climbing.

Lots of people started on the tautline hitch (I did), but if I had it to do over again I'd start with a blakes hitch.

I don't have any knowledge about the rock rope, or descending on an 8, I always descend on my friction hitch, but thats on a dynamic ddrt system.

One thing I can say, buy a saddle and save your body the torture of using a rope saddle, and get the tree climbers companion, it'll graphically show you lots of new techinques to help you in tree climbing.

Lots of people started on the tautline hitch (I did), but if I had it to do over again I'd start with a blakes hitch.

Exactly.

I just climb trees for sport. I agree this is a great way to climb a tree. Throw in a split tail and a lanyard and I'm a happy camper.

I just climbed and pruned 5 big oaks today using a tautline and a handline and my tail nothing else removing branches<- 10" and it all worked qute well thank you very much.:D

Oh yeah, a $19 leather-sleeve/ friction-saver is a good thing to have.

It will work for SRT ascent/descent and some arborists use it for split tail climbing but that requires knowing (I mean really knowing through considerable experience) the basics before attempting. Arborist rope is designed for tree climbing and will work best for tree climbing. Look at Tree Climbers Companion as already recommended.

An arborist harness or saddle is a basic requirement and tool for roped tree climbing. Rope or webbing harnesses are for emergencies and very short climbing sessions. The constant pain and numb legs will take away any possible enjoyment of the climb. I admire thriftiness but a decent arborist saddle doesn't cost much in the grand scheme of things.
-moss

Last edited:
It will work for SRT ascent/descent and some arborists use it for split tail climbing but that requires knowing (I mean really knowing through considerable experience) the basics before attempting. Arborist rope is designed for tree climbing and will work best for tree climbing. ...

-moss

The first rope I ever bought for tree climbing (in my ignorance) was New England 1/2" Static Kernmantle. It was so stiff, slick, and difficult to use I quit fooling with ropes and went back ladders (God Forbid!) and spurs. It probably set me back a couple of years on rope climbing. Moss' advice is very good. Get a good saddle and a good rope designed for TREES and go from there.

By the way. About the ladders. Cut and broken limbs hunt ladders like Texas tornadoes hunt trailer parks. Dont go there. And dont ask me how I know.

By the way. About the ladders. Cut and broken limbs hunt ladders like Texas tornadoes hunt trailer parks. Dont go there. And dont ask me how I know.
Ladders are excellent tools, if you have someone to get it out of the way when you are off of it. re saddles, you can go with a cheapo buttstrap model for a while. that's all i've ever used but after 42 years i am about tired of it and will try out a newer model at expo this year. I will take the time, I will...

fireax, glad you worked your way out of those issues. static rope does NOT hold a tlh well, that's for sure.

I second ekka notion, to check out the video section...and i would also recmond wesspur, baileys and other sites, just type arborist gear into google..

ALong with tree climbing basics...its a cheap, and some what dorky movie but i think it might answer alot of your questions...

good luck and welcome

Back