gonna get it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll list prices over here.
260 $470
280 $470
290 $350
310 $420
390 $450
361 $610
I'd go with the 390 or the 361 if I had another $160. I think Stihl has the 290 hp inflated a little, at least on the ones I've run. Steve

Good reply, don't worry about Andy. He has probably been hitting the bottle

:buttkick: NOT Cool Dude :buttkick:

Sorry, just that this has been beat in to the ground!!! I just need to learn to be more tolerant of newbs.

My point is that the 290/310/390 are the same platform, they just put a bigger cylinder and piston on them to get more power.

And for the dealer to even suggest a 260 when you are looking at the 290, I can't see where you can put a lot of faith in him!

As I already have said, I am not a big fan of these saws, but they will work fine for most people.

that's more like it

redneck...you have a lot of posts and maybe a lot of knowledge?? but stay calm, us newbies have questions and some folk will help us out with out getting so out of it..if you can't react calmly stay off the post...YOU have some knowledge i am sure...so help your fellow man...WAS you ever a newbie?? we are all here to communicate and learn from each other..I thought that was what this whole web site was about.. Enough said...peace bro...:newbie: :givebeer:

redneck...you have a lot of posts and maybe a lot of knowledge?? but stay calm, us newbies have questions and some folk will help us out with out getting so out of it..if you can't react calmly stay off the post...YOU have some knowledge i am sure...so help your fellow man...WAS you ever a newbie?? we are all here to communicate and learn from each other..I thought that was what this whole web site was about.. Enough said...peace bro...:newbie: :givebeer:

You are right, like I said, sorry.
There is just a bunch of information on this site, all you have to do is be able to weed through some threads and find out about just about anything!
I'm old, and if I am going to carry a saw, I want the saw to have as much power as it can have! Of the three saws, I would get the 390. But as others have said, you are then in the price range of the 361, which is a whole other animal.
The 260 is a decent saw, but for running a 20" bar it was an absurd suggestion. The dealer chapped me a lot on this one!!
I always encourage people to "upsize" when buying a saw, never go smaller! If you KNOW you will be using a 20" bar, plan on buying a saw that will easily pull a 25", because you will need to some day. It's just the way it works!!! I started with a Husky 350, then bought an MS390 and KNEW that would be the biggest saw I would need. First tree, I had to hire a guy to stump it for me!! The res of the story has been written and written time and again! Anyway, I now have an 046 Big bore woods ported and a 32" bar, if I can't cut it with that, I don't think I need to!!

What is my point? Well, you can save a buck, get the 290 and a saw that "will get you buy", spend a bit more and have a saw that can pull about anything you MIGHT need and get the 390. Or you can get the 361, a LOT MORE money, and have a saw you can pass on to you're son!
With saws you really do get what you pay for, and you can pay a little more now, or a lot more latter when the addiction kicks in!!
I still can't believe the dealer recomend the 260!!!:chainsawguy:

still undecided

Well?????????????????

Come on, we all went through this together, what did we choose?

I really dont't know which one I want...i currently have a husqvarna 41 with mod but want a little bigger saw...i usually cut no more than 18 to 22" tree at base...i don't want over kill and don't need any more than 18" bar...i want the best saw for what I have to spend $400.00 and everyone says for a little more you can get this or that...that's what get confusing...so I am still reading and trying to decide...:cheers:

Do you feel confident with tool? What I mean, would you crap you're pants buying a new saw, taking it out of the box, trimming the limmiters, and opening up the muffler? Yes, I was a jerk, but I will talk you through the whole thing!
Is that something you might consider?

It's Andy, if you haven't figured it out:hmm3grin2orange:

It does, but with an 18" bar, I LOVE the Husky 350, cheap, readily available. Go used, there are probably a few in the trading post now.
It's not a Stihl, I know, and it's not what you originaly wanted. I can and have modded the Stihl series saw as well:hmm3grin2orange: The 290-390 saws like two 3/8's holes in the muffler. Stihl did a neat thing on their saws, if you look at the front of the mufflers, have an indention that is right at the port size. Easy to figure:hmm3grin2orange: I even have a spare muffler laying around here that needs a home.

My point, play with a cheap saw, the 350 is easy to take apart, trust me, I did it drunk one night, and watching my 2 year old another! Learn a bit, mod it a bit more, learn a little more! It ain't rocket science!!
Just a thought.

I really think i want a new saw before the 09 come out, I have heard that there will be more pol stuff on them...i have a husky and really like it, bought it in 97 and still running strong...I would like to try a stihl...had one befor and liked it also..popcorn: givebeer:

OK, I get that. But I cannot in good faith recomend the 260. I know many that like it, I want more.
I really was happy with the 390, and still say that is the best option of the three, just because they all weigh the same. BUT, I know of many plenty happy with the 290. What really killed me with the 390, I picked up a Husky 262xp at a garage sale, it was lighter and ran circles around the 390! And the 390 series is a BUGGER to work on!! I had to re-ring one at a place of employment once, the Huskies are WAY easier, as are the pro Stihls.
I don't know if you need a pro saw or not, you have to figure that out. They are worth the extra money, I can assure you of that! (Other than that silly 350, which can become a 353, or 346xp easily, yes it's a plastic crankcase, but otherwise built like a pro saw) But you are really thinking hard and long about this. You are putting a LOT more effort in this than Joe-blow. That makes me think you are serious. You want a saw that is versital, you want a saw (since you are insistant on buying new) that will run for a VERY long time.
So, being the Devils advocate again, you will not like what I have to say!
The 260 MIGHT do most of what you need fine, but you ever come up on that tree you can't SAFELY drop with the 18" bar, you have to walk. Or you find a honey tree, but it's 26" and that poor saw gets tired! I have seen it!
Or step up to the 361, nice saw, lots of bar options and less weight than the 290 saws. BUT.......... thats a chunk of change!!! Believe me, I know!! Go price out a 200t!!!
Will the 290 series do it, maybe, I don't know, all I can do is give you what I know. But I know the 361 will do it standing on it's head, and you can hand it down to you're son!
Another thought is the Dolmar 5100, but as I recall the dealers are limited, so......................
I bought my 350 new, ran it four years, then modded the pee waden out of it and have run it two more!!
I wanted a new saw, sweet talked my butt off and swore to the wife "this is the end all-beat all saw, this is all I will EVER need baby!!" when I bought the MS390. I had it three months. It went on E-bay so I could buy my "wore out but WAY overbuilt rebuilt 046". New and shiny is fine and dandy, but a strong runner is worth more to me!
Sorry, I am rambling again!! (Did I mention I had a broken tail bone and the pain meds, well............:hmm3grin2orange: )

The Neckster did come down on you hard, but he's trying to say that sometimes you just have to make a decision and get on with it. I fussed over my filing techniques for some time and got downright anal about being perfect. Then Gary opened my eyes one day saying "Good enough is good enough". He was right and I haven't worried about it since.

I fear, though, that you'll have buyers remorse with any of your list of saws. So I seriously suggest you bite the bullet and buy a 361. Then you'll have your mind at ease knowing you got the best. Problem solved. Just like I need to go out and buy an 066 and get it over with.:)

Back