Good Pair of Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackajeff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new pair of boots. I have a pair of carolina steel toe loggers, but they're starting to wear out and they're just starting to get worn in. I'm a poor college student so Wesco's are out. I've been looking at Redwing's and Chippewa's so far. Does anybody have any opinions about these boots or any other suggestions?

try some hoffman's.

i just bought a $150 pair of wolverine boots and the lining on the insole is already peeling off. the leather sure is thin too. made in china after all.

you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't.

Get them re soled? Should be cheaper than a new pair. If they are just getting broke in then you wouldn't have to start all over again either.

Owl

I have a pair of steel toe 16"Hoffmans with non-studded logging soles that are about a year and half old. The cons are that they are heavy, hard to break in, and about $300 dollars after being shipped. The pros is that after a year and half of doing tree work and hauling scrap metal (which I use the boots as hammers to bust sharp pieces of metal off the sides of the trailers) they are holding up great. They are made in either the US or Canada, and they seem to really take pride in their work. They are great of you do a lot of spiking but otherwise they are pretty heavy and cumbersome for climbing around the crowns of trees. I've hiked 21 miles with 80lbs of gear (not by choice) while wearing them and it wasn't to bad, so they can be used for other task outside their intended use. Hoffman makes some other boots that are less expensive and lighter and probably better if you do a lot dragging brush, especially up and down hills.

As mentioned if you know a good shoe cobbler you could just get your boots resoled, however they have to be good and really know what they are doing. I had a pair of redwings redone and the guy who supposedly knew what he was doing did a butch job on it and the boots were falling apart in a couple months.

A boot I really like for doing tree work or for just about anything is the old olive drap military Jungle boots, but they have to genuine military boots, because there are a lot of cheap knocks off that don't last at all and sadly a lot of military surplus will try to sell the imitation boots yet swear up and down they are the genuine deal. They don't have steel toes in them, and they are not water proof, and not good for snowy conditions (however I have worn them in winter but expect your feet to get wet if your in slush), but they are lite, drain water quickly (helps if you wear wool socks) , have excellent traction, have a great heel for wearing gaffs, protective shank that is still flexible enough for long hikes or dragging lots of brush, last at least a year of solid abuse and can be found for about $60 to $100 dollars.

Good luck.

I'm looking for a new pair of boots. I have a pair of carolina steel toe loggers, but they're starting to wear out and they're just starting to get worn in. I'm a poor college student so Wesco's are out. I've been looking at Redwing's and Chippewa's so far. Does anybody have any opinions about these boots or any other suggestions?

Give Carolina a shout on the phone. They still have a U.S. operation and last I knew(Years ago mind you!) would resole for a fee.

No point in trashing good boots cuz the soles are worn!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm definitely not going to trash them. I'm going to wear them until they're shot, but I don't think that will be much longer.

Check out you local boot store. Not athleats foot or the like but one of the real ones. They should be able to resole them for you or at least point you in the right direction.

I am on the third set of soles in my Carolina work boots. Just to darn comfy to throw away.

Carolina boots can still be had USA made, just bought a set two weeks ago.

Vibergs !

Least expensive boot there is in the long run ... For non logging work boots I prefer the 45 . They are made from Water Buffalo leather ..... If you get the steel toed model it is CSA approved which means it has a steel mid sole for puncture resistance . Even the spring heel has enough heel for keeping the spurs in place

Least expensive boot there is in the long run ... For non logging work boots I prefer the 45 . They are made from Water Buffalo leather ..... If you get the steel toed model it is CSA approved which means it has a steel mid sole for puncture resistance . Even the spring heel has enough heel for keeping the spurs in place

I'm not sure what model my Vibergs are, they're the ones with the leather sole and tricounis.

i like the georgia loggers. if u like the higher heel they r the way to go. u usaually can find em for $150 for insulated and about $125 for uninsulated.I had a pair of uninsulated and they lasted me for 4 years and then i gave them to my buddy a year a go and he still wearing them now. i bought a pair of insulated bout a year ago and have wore them everday since and cannot be happier with them.

i like the georgia loggers. if u like the higher heel they r the way to go. u usaually can find em for $150 for insulated and about $125 for uninsulated.I had a pair of uninsulated and they lasted me for 4 years and then i gave them to my buddy a year a go and he still wearing them now. i bought a pair of insulated bout a year ago and have wore them everday since and cannot be happier with them.

I Just recently got a pair to thrash as a GP Boot, and so far I'm liking 'em.
They even took the Sno-seal well without softening up to mush.

They are gonna be hot as hell come summer, but that's what Corcoran Dessert boots are for.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

hossflstc

I have been wearing a pair of custom made wesco timber for over a year and love em 14 inch spring heal replaceable caulks

I Just recently got a pair to thrash as a GP Boot, and so far I'm liking 'em.
They even took the Sno-seal well without softening up to mush.

They are gonna be hot as hell come summer, but that's what Corcoran Dessert boots are for.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

mine werent too hot last summer. 400grams balance quite well between winter/summer

Sorry to Highjack the thread but I am looking for a pair of boots with slightly diffrent requirements.

I need a pair of logging/hiking boots that are lightweight(relatively) but still have cut protection and saftey toe. I weigh in at 145lbs and am covering up to 10 miles per day(half running) cutting Pinyon Pine. I am never on flat ground. Does anyone make a boot that has a aluminum toe and synthetic tarsal protection?

I also like to stay away from steel in the winter so it doesn't soak all the warmth out of my toes.

I'm on a budget but would come up with the money for a quality light weight boot.

hoffmans

Google Hoffmans boots. Check out the Meindl Caulks. I've heard some good things about these boots. They are waterproof about 11" or so. the only problem is they are insulated. Also the danner pronghorns I've heard good about.

Trampbushler-- you know anyone wearing the meindls up there?

Back