good saw for limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small saw small jobs Stihl ms 201tc m-tronic ms 241c. Maybe little less money and little more saw jonsered 2252 nice saw

For limbing and as my smallest rear handle saw is a 40cc/~2.5hp saw. I donot recomend going smaller.

I don't know if he is actually felling trees then limbing and bucking them or if he is just trimming trees around his place?

Have you looked into Dolmar? The ps-421 for around 300 bucks might be a good choice. The small Echos like the cs-400 cs-450 come at a good price and a 5 year warranty.

For limbing and as my smallest rear handle saw is a 40cc/~2.5hp saw. I donot recomend going smaller.

50cc is more like it as a general recommendation - but of course it depends on what you are limbing, and if you are in a hurry or not.

At least around here, limbing is the most time consuming part of the cutting of a tree, and a cheap and too small saw for it is a bad idea.

At least it has an outboard clutch, as a good limbing saw needs to have! ;):lol:
Yeah not like that junk tophandle Stihl 08 with the inboard clutch totally ruinning the gracileness of this ultimate climbing saw...

:drinking::laugh:

50cc is more like it as a general recommendation - but of course it depends on what you are limbing, and if you are in a hurry or not.

At least around here, limbing is the most time consuming part of the cutting of a tree, and a cheap and too small saw for it is a bad idea.
For me as well as Stihl & Husqvarna the limbing saw par excelance is the 40cc class with the Stihl 241 & Husqvarna 543xp being the prime examples(although I recomend them ONLY to true professionals) and personally I doubt that they will be slower by any margin in limbing compared to the 50cc class in trees up to 50 inch in diametre. Of course everyone has different needs depending on trees and what limbing includes. The misbelief that a 50cc saw will be faster is simply cemented in many peoples mind. In my limited experience every larger saw becomes only faster when the wood becomes larger in diametre, so there is absolutely NO gain in smaller wood with a larger saw, beside weight and with that worsening handling characterisitcs.

So for me the ideal combo for most homeowners/firewooders is the 40 & 60cc class.

It seemed to me he was asking for something comparable to a ms170, one from the current
Stihl line up or a comparable Husq, Jonsorend.

He IS asking for a ms170 or comparable, but a chainsaw enthusiast forum is the wrong place to get validation on buying the cheapest saws on the market.

For me as well as Stihl & Husqvarna the limbing saw par excelance is the 40cc class with the Stihl 241 & Husqvarna 543xp being the prime examples(although I recomend them ONLY to true professionals) and personally I doubt that they will be slower by any margin in limbing compared to the 50cc class in trees up to 50 inch in diametre. Of course everyone has different needs depending on trees and what limbing includes. The misbelief that a 50cc saw will be faster is simply cemented in many peoples mind. In my limited experience every larger saw becomes only faster when the wood becomes larger in diametre, so there is absolutely NO gain in smaller wood with a larger saw, beside weight and with that worsening handling characterisitcs.

So for me the ideal combo for most homeowners/firewooders is the 40 & 60cc class.

You can always put a larger sprocket on the stronger saw, and then there will be some gain.

Not much compared to my Hitachi CS38ek/ Tanaka ECV3801, it runs 14500rpm normaly... ;):D

Higher than usual no-load rpm mainly is an asset on the really small twigs, but that advantage soon goes away with a little thicker limbs, as there isn't torque to keep it up.

It is a factor worth considering on a limbing saw though, and is where the ol' 242xp really shines (15.5k). The 45cc 346xp (that replaced it) initially had the same rpm spec, but it was then changed to 14.7.

Using a large sprocket to achieve high initial chain speed instead of extra high rpm will put a bit more torque behind the high initial chain speed - but it also will need more, because of the higher gearing.

What works best will vary with the situation - there is no "carved in stone" answer, as usual.

ok Im thinking the MS311 59cc I just would like to know if I can run the ethanol free gas in it or not.
That would be best As long as you use a good 2 stroke oil mixed in or buy premixed e free by the quart or gallon ready to go. Just don't start reading oil threads or you will have no clue of what oil and ratio to use.

For occasional small limbing jobs around the house it's hard to beat an old Homelite plastic XL, I just picked up a top handle version for $10 and it ran when I got it home...needs a little oiler work however..Looks like the duck bill valve fell off..

Latest posts

Back