Got a toasted Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rezarcher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While visiting family today I saw a dust covered 044 in the garage and asked why it wasn't being used. Was told the crank was shot and that I could have the saw if I wanted it. After peeking in the exhaust port, I see it will need a new piston and cylinder along with the crank, bearings, gaskets, etc.

After some research online I find out there's either a 10mm or 12mm wrist pin. The serial number is 119402254 - any help determining the pin size would be appreciated.

I can get new aftermarket parts off ebay for ~$270-300 total.

Is this worth diving into? What problems will I most likely run into?

Thanks everyone.

tear it down

Take it apart so you can get a better idea of what parts you need. The saw is worth fixing since you have no investment in it at this time. It is one of Stihl's revered models and is a highly desirable saw.

I have a 044 and LOVE it. Its a 12mm model and its my favorite saw in my arsenal. I even love it more than my 660.

Update: I'm having our local Stihl-smith deal with the crank and case. According to him, the crank is ok! Just needs both bearings, so I told him to go ahead and put those in for me (I'd rather my first case tear-down and reassembly be on an old p.o.s.).

My next question: is there a trusted aftermarket piston I could throw in it? The dealer said he's put an aftermarket piston in an 066 and didn't have it last through a tank of gas...so he recommends going with a Stihl piston. They're $130.

To say I'm excited to get this saw going again is an understatement!

Forgot to mention - this is a 10mm saw. Should I have any concerns about that?

Is the jug salvageable? Since you got the saw for free, I think I would go OEM.

10mm huh?

This thread is getting better all the time. I've read the 10mm saws were real runners.

Waylan

The cylinder walls are good, the head has some small pits in it from the bearing shrapnel. Was told its ok to use - just make sure there's no loose metal on the head.

The best aftermarket brand piston you can buy for the 10mm 044 is an Episan. Not quite the quality of a Meteor brand (Unfortunately Meteor doesn't make a piston for the 10mm saw), but I have built about six early 044's with the Episans and they have been great runners with a couple of them out working commercially....Every Episan I've gotten though, needed a little filing or grinding with a Dremel between the wrist pin bosses to go over the rod though.

OEM is always the best bet, but don't be scared of a decent quality aftermarket piston either

Last edited:
$130 is ridiculous. Find an OEM piston on here or from one of the sponsors. Chainsawr and Bailey's usually have them. There's always 'that auction site' too. $50 bucks will get you a good OEM piston........if memory serves me correct.

I found a 10mm Meteor for $45 shipped...probably gonna go with that one.

Can y'all see my pictures?

I would never use that jug but that's just me.
Looks like the spark plug electrode fell out and dinged everything up, then made it's way into the bearings for a good time.
Those dips and peaks in the combustion area can make hot spots leading to pre ignition. It will also mess up the airflow, and the squish, the homogeneous mixing of the fuel. Who knows what could happen. At best it will be running at less than optimal performance.
You got a sweet deal being given the saw, just give it a good jug and a new piston, treat it nice and it will last for a long time.

226434d1330392892-photo-1-jpg

226435d1330392923-photo-2-jpg

226436d1330392948-photo-3-1-jpg

Thanks for posting the pics, I'll have to tinker and figure out how to do that.

I haven't quite pulled the trigger on purchasing a Meteor piston simply because I read on here that they weigh more than the Mahle/Stihl piston that's originally in the saw. How much of a difference in performance are we talking here?

I've found some good used 044 jugs on "that auction site" for a reasonable price (I think). My only concern is that the fins on those jugs don't match the orientation of the top fins of my cylinder while some fins close to the base aren't the same height. There's also a "B" after the number 1128 on the head of some of those cylinders. Mine does not have the B. Would all of this be an issue?

Thanks for your patience with my rookie questions.

Nice saw, gotta love the free thing. I just picked one up that has a blown engine. Don't ask what I paid for it! You could dump 3 into it and still sell it for a nice profit! Have fun!

Latest posts

Back