got a wood stove and need a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard caferacer. The same thing happened to me, I bought a wood stove and started cutting wood with a Poulan 2150. Then I wanted more power found AS, did a muffler mod to it and then it's been nonstop since. Bigger saws and more radical mods. If your all ready building up engines you'll be able to handle the mods that are talked about here on AS. I like the recommendation of the Poulan 5020. My 2150 has been a super little saw, and a MM woke it right up. Be Safe. Get some safety gear. Most of the saws you'll come across will cut much better if you get rid of the semi-chisel safety chain and get a pro style full chisel chain. Also get a file and guide kit ( I just use the inexpensive oregon one) as a sharp chain with the rakers set right is most important. I wouldn't bother with a warranty either. Treat the saw right and you'll have few problems. If you do the parts are less than the cost of a warranty.

I found a new one for $165.71 shipped. Can I put 16" on this? I don't think I want 20".

It'll pull that great. Rule of limits on bar length 40cc 16 50cc 18 60cc 20. They'll run bigger but this rule will get the best performance in most cases from your saw. And of course smaller bars never hurt anything.

If your planning on heating with a wood burner, you are going to find out how big of a pile of wood you really need to keep that thing glowing. Theres no such thing in heating, or life as having extra wood. LOL Mark my words, the mountain bike is going to turn into an expensive place to hang rags, and the trails will be only used by dogs and deer. Because they won't be cleared by you.

You are the cafe racer, so I expect you know how to do a little wrenching. Go get the saw of your choice in your price range, and it will all fall into place. Use fresh gas and learn how to sharpen a chain. If your saw sounds funny then it is. Shut it off and figure out why. You'll be fine with whatever saw you get.

Where do you Cafe race at?

Where do you Cafe race at?

Manhattan

I already learned that I'm going to need a lot more than I have. Start thinking even buying some for this winter. Anybody from NY tri-state area? How many cords do you use each year?

Last edited:
can't go wrong with the 445

I'd go with the refurb 445 in a heartbeat. I agree that ultimately you will want to go with a 2 saw plan. But, leave your self a little time to catch a good case of CAD and you can pick up a bigger saw latter. That way you will have your 2 saw plan in the future. A 445 will do most everything you need for wood cutting, except for big rounds. I went with a 455 Rancher 16" then 20" bar & chain for 5 years as my only saw. I just recently bought a 365XT 28" bar & chain (71 cc), but honestly I could have done most everything with the 455. I just had a bad case of CAD. I still use my 455 the most cutting as it's lighter and cuts most everything I need just fine. I mostly pull out the big saw for the large rounds and falling bigger trees. The pro saws are great and not ever a bad way to go, but if money and value are considerations, you do not need or will probably ever wear out a good non pro model saw like a husky, stihl, or dolmar.

I found a new one for $165.71 shipped. Can I put 16" on this? I don't think I want 20".

16" is exactly what a 5020 needs. I dont really know if You can put a 16" on one, It has been done in the Long Winded "5020" thread, so conventional wisdom would say "Yes".

They make a "PP4818" model (I mistakenly referred to it as a "4618" somewhere), that is the same ~50cc motor with an 18" bar already mounted. Not Ideal, but better than 20", In My Opinion, for real-world use, on this saw, for most people.

That saw, at that price point, Shipped, no tax, With A Case (looks like a Powerbox-type case, worth ~$20+ to me), seems to be a real bargain.

Manhattan

I already learned that I'm going to need a lot more than I have. Start thinking even buying some for this winter. Anybody from NY tri-state area? How many cords do you use each year?

Upstate NY here. I burn 3-4 cords a year, but I have a SMALL house & let it burn out over night. I like a cold house in the morning, wife hates it! :msp_tongue:

I personally think for firewood cutting (not felling) a 50cc saw is more than plenty. Buy a good one and learn to maintain it properly. You'll have it forever if you want it.

PPE....buy it and use it! You only have one set of eyes, ears, legs & hands. $150 for glasses, muffs, chaps & gloves is cheap compared to the alternative.

Most of all, have fun, be safe & get cuttin'!

When you're done......drink beer! :givebeer:

By the time you buy a 16" bar and chain you are up to the cost of that husky 445 which is a better saw out of the box. You should be able to get it and a pair of chaps for about 300 bones.

By the time you buy a 16" bar and chain you are up to the cost of that husky 445 which is a better saw out of the box. You should be able to get it and a pair of chaps for about 300 bones.

What makes a 445 husky better out of the box? Just wondering. Are those swedish made?

My thinking was that the stronger crank on the 445 would stand up better to jerking free if a new chainsaw user pinched his bar without a back up saw or extra bar/ chain to free it.

I believe that for a firewood cutter a ~40 & ~60cc combo would be more ideal. The general recomendation for 50 & 70 leaves out a lot on the lower end. You will have to get a 30-40 cc saw later on because the 50 is quite often overkill.

As a generel recomendation the following brands can be considered good/excellent buys for a homeowner.
Efco=Oleo Mac=Emak, Echo, Dolmar=Makita, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Mc Culloch=Partner, Hitachi=Tanaka, Solo and Stihl.

Efco are not very present on the market but are very good quality Italien saws.
Echo "always" need a muffler mod and carb retune because they are very restricted, but are excellent saws for a homeowner
Dolmar is one of the smaller top players with very good models
Husqvarna is one of the two top players. The pro line is considered to be better than those of Stihl by many.
Mc Culloch is the consumer/box store line of Husqvarna. They will give you, as a home owner, many years of problem free cutting time if you take care of your equipment.
Hitachi aquired Tanaka and are now focusing more on the homeowner market. The older models, which i can find here at excellent discounts, are equally profesional grade as the other top players.
Solo belongs to the small top players. Excellent quality and very good saws but not very present.
Stihl is on par with Husqvarna. The second top player and definately a market dominator.

If asked about personal choice, in the homeowner setting, it would be a 40 & 60cc combo, at the moment the Dolmar 420 and the Echo 600p. These two saws should fullfill about all your needs.

About bar length. Don't forget with a 16 inch bar you can cut a 30 inch tree. Don't fall for the typical long bar syndrom. The technique is always more important than size.... Did I just inspire your fantasy? :D

I believe that for a firewood cutter a ~40 & ~60cc combo would be more ideal. The general recomendation for 50 & 70 leaves out a lot on the lower end. You will have to get a 30-40 cc saw later on because the 50 is quite often overkill.

As a generel recomendation the following brands can be considered good/excellent buys for a homeowner.
Efco=Oleo Mac=Emak, Echo, Dolmar=Makita, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Mc Culloch=Partner, Hitachi=Tanaka, Solo and Stihl.

Efco are not very present on the market but are very good quality Italien saws.
Echo "always" need a muffler mod and carb retune because they are very restricted, but are excellent saws for a homeowner
Dolmar is one of the smaller top players with very good models
Husqvarna is one of the two top players. The pro line is considered to be better than those of Stihl by many.
Mc Culloch is the consumer/box store line of Husqvarna. They will give you, as a home owner, many years of problem free cutting time if you take care of your equipment.
Hitachi aquired Tanaka and are now focusing more on the homeowner market. The older models, which i can find here at excellent discounts, are equally profesional grade as the other top players.
Solo belongs to the small top players. Excellent quality and very good saws but not very present.
Stihl is on par with Husqvarna. The second top player and definately a market dominator.

If asked about personal choice, in the homeowner setting, it would be a 40 & 60cc combo, at the moment the Dolmar 420 and the Echo 600p. These two saws should fullfill about all your needs.

About bar length. Don't forget with a 16 inch bar you can cut a 30 inch tree. Don't fall for the typical long bar syndrom. The technique is always more important than size.... Did I just inspire your fantasy? :D

I agree with you! I like the 60 cc level saws. I am working on my three echo saw plan*** now, I need the 30 to 40cc, got the 60 and 80 already. I cut a lot of small wood as well as medium and large, 50 is way overkill for the smaller stuff.

***among different brand plans....I mean, how else can ya decide until you try a bunch....

Sure can. Also get you the splined carb adjustment tool for $10

:msp_wink: 3/8 050 and she is a little ripper with 16"

tank5016004_zpsf4ac1d1d.jpg

tank5016007_zpsb753a24a.jpg

Back