got lucky this morning - free wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostnut

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I feel like I hit the jackpot. I was facing some seriously difficult hauling out of the woods this weekend in order to finish filling my needs for next year when, on my way into work this a.m., I pull out of my neighborhood and parked at the gas station 3 blocks away from home is a 2 ton dump truck FULL of this!
No hauling out of the woods, no hauling home, nothing! Just when I thought you couldn't beat free wood I end up with just that + delivery. Gave the guy a $20 and he was blown away. He was thankful to save a 30 mile round trip to another "dumpsite". Looks like its time to drag out the saw and splitter. Any guesses on what this wood is? Bark looks like oak to me but I'm about 1 for 20 when guessing.

The red under the flakey bark makes it look almost like arbutus, but it looks like loading damage. If indeed hickory you scored huge, great burning wood by all accounts and (when cut with canola, handsaw, axe) one of the best for cooking/smoking (at least one of my favorite flavors next to mesquite), never seen it up here *green eyed*
:clap:

:cheers:

Serge

That is not like any Hickory here in NC!

The bark looks like maple... and if I had to be more specific with my ID, I'd go out on a limb and say "Silver Maple". I have done removals of a LOT of maples and hickories. The limb structure looks more like maple. The bark looks like maple. The poor healing over old cuts looks more like maple.

We take care of the hickory we cut. We do several 2,000# plus barbecues a year on hickory only. I can almost guarentee this isn't hickory.

Last edited:
I'd go with hickory too, but I'm no authority. The only hickory we have around here is the shagbark variety, and not a huge amount of it. Very dense though, great for burning.

That resembles, very closely, silver maple.

That bark and wood is identical to some sm trees on our place.

Looks more like maple now that i have looked at some other pics... but hey it's FREE!

Last edited:
I'll post a couple more pics when i get a chance to cut and split a couple pieces, sure hope its hickory.:cheers:

Both Trees have a shaggy type bark, the hickory and maple. do you have any pictures of the leaves? Does your tree have any of the fruit pieces shown in the picture? They sometimes stay on the maple trees.

Does he have picture of leaves probably not notice the snow on the ground . I am thinking it maple 1 because it looks like it 2 because he was happy to get rid of it . If it was Hickory he probably would have not gave it a away so easy but still for 20 bucks not bad no matter if it is maple or hickory

My guess would be either maple or hickory as well. I have trees this size of both kinds in my yard, and I'm still looking at the pictures and thinking it could be either. I'm leaning slightly towards maple though. Mostly because the only areas you see the bark take on a true shaggy look is where its obviously been mechanically handled and damaged.

Get a good close up shot of the split/splintered areas. Also, after you cut some and split it, give us an idea of how heavy it feels. Shagbark is about 1200 lbs. heavier than silver maple when measuring by the cord.

Either way, your $20 was well invested! I hope you got that guys number, because if he was that thank full and local, chances are you'll be able to have him do the same again!

no other pics at this time. since i dont know exactly where the tree came from there won't be an opportunity to look at leaves or fruit. keep in mind that i had to GREATLY reduce the picture quality to post here. I'll get some better pics and post them in the next couple days. Thanks for the input!

Might as well chime in with my 2¢ worth. As others have surmised, it's definitely maple. I've taken down many, many of these. Nice haul. You suck. :laugh: :cheers:

Great score on some great wood! Looks like maple too me too. I'd buck it up and store the big stuff in quarters. Drys well but not too much. :clap:

Back