got lucky this morning - free wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZERO doubt in my mind that it is silver maple!

Look at the first pic.... Silver maple bark flakes off easily. Underneath the "flakes" it is always a reddish brown. The tearout at the bottom right is characteristic of maple that hasn't been back cut. Hickory tends to break off rather than tear away. The limb in the foreground is curving out of the trunk. Hickory (around here) tends to be more right angle departure.

Look at the second pic.... Hickory rots much slower than maple. The old limb rotted out before the healing wood could cover it. This is VERY common in maples here in NC. Limbs drop out of the tree and form voids. Maples are notorious for yellow jacket nests in those voids around here.

Silver Maple burns well if seasoned well.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Actually a bunch of them. Maple it is, according to the neighbor who is a cabinet maker. A couple more pics here to verify. Also, check out my next post, another batch of wood I cut earlier this winter that I cannot i.d. My guess would be ash because the bark is similar to the ash in my yard.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Actually a bunch of them. Maple it is, according to the neighbor who is a cabinet maker. A couple more pics here to verify. Also, check out my next post, another batch of wood I cut earlier this winter that I cannot i.d. My guess would be ash because the bark is similar to the ash in my yard.

Outside of the stink of fresh cut Red Oak, the smell of a fresh cut and stack of Maple is pretty nice. Grilling out on the deck catching a breeze full of it's smell is pretty nice.

Here we go again...

Earlier in this thread, there was discussion of hickory. Well... I have zero experience with ash, but the grain and bark in the new pics look a LOT like hickory! If it turns out to be ash, then ash and hickory must be very close relatives. As I said earlier, we do a lot of work with hickory, removing trees, firewwoding them, and using that to make legendary NC barbecue. Those pictures look REAL familiar!

-- Looks like silver maple to me too-- still a good score--I'D take all I could get at that price!

silver maple

That's definetly silver maple.:greenchainsaw:

That's definately Silver maple.

My best guess on the other is Ash, but they're all dead by me. :(

:censored: EAB!!!

The Latin name for that wood is "firewoodus freeus" which encompasses all species of wood that are dropped off at the house for free!

Great find there. Talk about being in the right place at the right time, huh?

The Latin name for that wood is "firewoodus freeus" which encompasses all species of wood that are dropped off at the house for free!

Great find there. Talk about being in the right place at the right time, huh?

The second set of pictures looks like elm to me, the first was definately soft maple or red maple.

Back