Got me an 85cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
May have to change my name as I now have just as many Husqvarna's as stihls, and I plan on selling a stihl. Oh no. Just picked up a Husky 385xp with a 28 in bar. The guy's in the chainsaw forum where nice enough to ensure me that it was a god saw, and I would be happy with it.( another reason this site is great, so much 1st hand info.)It's not quite the 90cc I was hoping for but close enough, I've been looking for yrs for a good deal on a big saw.. $450 isn't great, but cheapest I've seen since looking yrs ago. I think its an 05 from the serial #, it was very dirty, someone cut a lot of pine. It's now cleaned up, sharpened ready to get into an ash I gave up on earlier in the yr. Maybe in 2 weeks the snow banking will have subsided to get that 3' ash trunk. This will also now allow me to get a 5' ash tree that's dying at a buddies house. Bring on the big wood baby.

Huskey Dan has a nice ring to it. I have a 385xp and it is a excelent saw. yours should run great with a 28" bar. Mine runs with a 30". ran it once with a 36" when my 395xp laid down and refused to start. If you look in a older Husky catalog, the 385xp is rated for a 42" bar. The newer catalogs rate the max bar length on the larger saws a lot less than the same saw in a older catalog for some reason. Any one know why they do that? Glad to see you migrating in the Huskey direction. Oh, we need a picture!

Congrats Husky Dan! (see how I used that so now it's "official" since more than one person in town knows you by that)

I know exactly how you feel when you step up into a saw that size from what you've been used running. Suddenly trees just seem to fall over into rounds. Funny how that happens!

Congrats on the new purchase!! We need pics though. I also have a 385, only wears a 20" bar, have a 28" as back up. The saw is like a 372 on steroids and then some. It has a nice sound sound to it also. I hear they take well to porting...Hmmm

You won't be disappointed with it! I have one and use it a lot. Not because the trees are so big I need it, just because those bigger saws just sound so dam good! lol I have a 24 inch bar and a 32 inch bar, and it has no issues running either one.

Ted

congrats very nice saw I ran a friends and it felt more maneuverable than my 394 with not that much power loss. boredom has really set in here...heres my 394001.jpg

wow, I may have to sell it as I spent the 1st 14 yrs of my life trying to get away from that name. (husky dan) At 10 mom brought me to the grown up store for clothes because they came in numbered sizes, not slim regular, or HUSKY. And its not going to be Stihl Husky either, well maybe.

Husky Dan...

Nice to see you come over to the ORANGE SIDE..
I just love my Swedish Perfection AKA Husky 385XP!
I run a 28" and WOW...

Would that be a polish saw? Bought a new air filter for it today, damn, 30 bucks! This better rip. Weeps a little bar oil too, I hate that.

I was a stihl guy but went over to the dark side and don't regret it . huskys hold the Rpms better and the anti vibration they use I found to be top notch they are silky smooth in the cut ..I have never used a huge pro saw but I think if I did Id likely Own half a dozen though

Congrats Stihly!

My 394 is my favorite saw and balances awesome with the 32" bar.
394norway.jpg

It's a bellerer also. Neighbors a mile through the woods say that when I cut, it sounds like I am in their yard.

May have to change my name as I now have just as many Husqvarna's as stihls, and I plan on selling a stihl. Oh no. Just picked up a Husky 385xp with a 28 in bar. The guy's in the chainsaw forum where nice enough to ensure me that it was a god saw, and I would be happy with it.( another reason this site is great, so much 1st hand info.)It's not quite the 90cc I was hoping for but close enough, I've been looking for yrs for a good deal on a big saw.. $450 isn't great, but cheapest I've seen since looking yrs ago. I think its an 05 from the serial #, it was very dirty, someone cut a lot of pine. It's now cleaned up, sharpened ready to get into an ash I gave up on earlier in the yr. Maybe in 2 weeks the snow banking will have subsided to get that 3' ash trunk. This will also now allow me to get a 5' ash tree that's dying at a buddies house. Bring on the big wood baby.
Pics please......................

Back