Got me some new Chippewa boots today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The old boots been looking a bit tattered lately, think I bought 'em (yup, Chippewa's) about ten years ago and they're about worn out ... and falling apart. Tread is shot, and the leather stitching is coming apart. Been thinking about this for a couple weeks now and it would seem the opportunity finally came to fruition yesterday :) Bob's Stores is a pretty good retailer for "work" clothes in this area and have been buying sh*t from them for years. Recently I received a $50 off coupon for any purchase over 200, plus a $10 off deal cus my birthday is coming up next month ... yeah! So I go there this morning and what do I find? It's all made in China! WTF!!! I give the sales clerk hell and ask him where's the made in USA stuff? As you would suspect, he has no idea (and mumbles under his breath that ALL the sh*t we sell is made in China) screw him ... I'll keep on lookin' myself. I come across these .. not exactly what I was looking for (didn't really want steel toe) but they're made in the USA ... and only about a $50 premium! So out the door I went with 'em. Wearing them right now trying to break them in a bit before they go into the woods :msp_sneaky:

They're heavy and rugged, yet well insulated and I need the ankle support (guess its that age thing ;))

How well are your feet protected? I see so many guys out there "working" with hikers, or f*ing "tennis" shoes on! You get my drift?

Be safe out there ... limbs can't be replaced, at least not yet :msp_mellow:

I have a similar pair of RedWings that I got near ten years ago. I don't wear them all year long as they are not insulated, but they are on their second set of treads and still looking good. Good boots are important around saws. I was wearing Justin Ropers when I "altered" my foot with a saw. Real shame as they were fairly new......:laugh:

I've got a pair of Super Loggers myself. They were only $220....... but I guess that was well over a year ago. As you found out, only the Super Loggers are made here now, all the other Chippewas are imported. I guess its hard to complain about the price when I get so many years of hard service out of them.

I've posted these here in the past, but just to show how important it is to were a good quailty steel toed boot.......

Boots001.jpg

Boots002.jpg

These are the regular Chippewa loggers (imported). Saw cut right through to the steel toe. Saved my toes! Took the boots to the best cobbler in the area to see if he could repair it in any way. He said he couldn't because of the steel toe. I gooped a bunch of Shoe-Goo in the cut and still wear them today.... these have to be twelve+ years old.

I've posted these here in the past, but just to show how important it is to were a good quailty steel toed boot.......

Boots001.jpg

Boots002.jpg

These are the regular Chippewa loggers (imported). Saw cut right through to the steel toe. Saved my toes! Took the boots to the best cobbler in the area to see if he could repair it in any way. He said he couldn't because of the steel toe. I gooped a bunch of Shoe-Goo in the cut and still wear them today.... these have to be twelve+ years old.

I would have saved ten grand or better had I been wearing mine that day......

I buy the regular Chippewa loggers, and have for quite a while.

Before my boot guy retired, he told me he stopped carrying the USA Chippewas, because the stitching was coming out -- and yet the Chinese ones weren't.

I'm no fan of our dependence on China junk, but these boots are pretty dang tough for the $135.

Got a ten year old pair just like those. I beat the crap out of those boots and they are still kicking. Gonna look into getting another pair and break them in slowly.

I too have been frustrated trying to find a decent American made boot at a reasonable price . And went through the same thing at Bobs . The Water Co. came up with new PPE rules last year for woodcutters ( chaps, helmet, gloves and steel toe boots ) . I had everything but steel toes . I am currently wearing a pair of Wal-Mart China specials . If I have to wear China made boots I am gonna wear the cheapest pair I can find until I find a pair I like . I normally wear Filson boots at $300 a pair but they are real nice boots . But they don't make a steel toe . I don't mind spending the coin on good boots but I want to try them on before I buy them . I did buy a pair of Chippewas off Ebay only to be disappointed they were made in China plus I can't get use to the high logger type heel .

If ya' have a Mills Fleet Farm in your area stop and check out their "house brand" boots, Field N' Forest.
Darn good boots, I've been wearing them for years. Many are "Made in the USA", but all are rugged, well made boots.
I like the "Made in the USA" logo also... but I ain't paying $200.oo just for the label when I can get top-notch for well under $100.00.
I don't believe the steel toe logger is "Made in the USA" but they are a great boot, and I've seen them on sale for $69.99.

Men's Work Boots & Shoes - Field N' Forest Boots & Shoes - Mills Fleet Farm

Die hard Red Wing guy here. My company pays $100/year for safety boots. I wind up buying new hunting/fishing boots and still wear the same old pair of RWs to work. 3 years of stomping down steel scrap and still going strong. Wal Mart boots last a couple months in my use.

Not all Red Wings are made in USA, but a good selection of them are. You can sort for "made in USA", "made in USA with foreign components", etc on their site.

I'm due for a new set for ahem,,, "work" now, I see they have some nice looking loggers. Red Wing Shoe Finder

I've tried Red Wing boots four times and I've always been disappointed.
Not disappointed in the quality, but in comfort... Red Wing boots are the most uncomfortable (to my feet) boots I've had.
Seems like they just don't make my size... if I get 'em to fit my foot they pinch my toes, and if I get 'em so they don't pinch my toes they're so big the rest of my foot is swimming in them.

The last pair of Chippewa's I had to give them away. I wore and wore them hoping they would stretch to fit and they never did! Nice boot but apparently I got the wrong size. I bought the replacements at the same place and the girl measured my feet, had to go up a size, according to her my feet have grown as I get heavier. LOL:mad:

You want your boots to fit, one day break in, stand in the bath tub on till there wet, wear on till there dry. I learned this from an ole Finn 50 yrs ago.

Now that makes sense. When I bought bolsters for my colt single action revolvers, I'd soak'em in warm water, wrap the .45 in saran wrap, take the holster out of the water, and stuff the revolver into the holster, and when it dried, I had a custom fit.
That said, my old Danners need replacing too. I don't like steel toes, but I would buy them if my saw had a bar over 20". I'm thinking about getting a pair of Justin lace up work boots.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, lots of good info here. Wore the new boots most of the day, did a bit of walking, then sat in an attorney's office for an hour, and then went for a ride on the Honda with the ms180 and cut up a few downed branches, and finally moved some furniture for my sister ... about a 10 hour day. Felt good, no pressure points, but man did my feet boil! It hit 55 again today ... guess winter is over :frown:

lumberjack48
You want your boots to fit, one day break in, stand in the bath tub on till there wet, wear on till there dry. I learned this from an ole Finn 50 yrs ago.

Won't that make the steel toe get rusty?? Plus I can't imagine its any good for the boot, being leather and all ... :msp_confused:

this thread stinks !

chippewa fan here - my summer boots, fifteen years old, patches everywhere, covered in toeguard, resoled twice

attachment.php

Obenuaf user everyother day-

Back