Got me some new Chippewa boots today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped on some of that bootguard stuff today. Steel Toe Work Boot Repair and Protection. Any advice to go with it?

I always paid my boot guy to put it on cause they take such good care of me($5 per boot)- I know he used some alcohol to clean the boots good before applying and it wood last me 3-4 months before wearing off. I wear the same boots every other day.

Gonna miss my boot guy if he leaves :msp_sad:

While we're on the subject of boots. Have any of you guys had problem with Vibram soles recently? I bough a couple pairs of LaCroose steel toes and on both pairs the Vibram soles gave up. never had that happen in the past with them and was wondering if they've change something.

MVC-019S_14.JPG

Granted, I got a couple years out of them but never had a pair of loggers do this.

Sportsman Guide normally has loggers on sale all the time. With or without steel toes.

MVC-018S_16.JPG

Wish I could get these from them again. These were Carolinas. I got 2 pair when they went on sale about 8 years ago for around $50.00 a pair. Wore the heck out of them as you can see.

MVC-019S_15.JPG

Here is the best part about them.

While we're on the subject of boots. Have any of you guys had problem with Vibram soles recently? I bough a couple pairs of LaCroose steel toes and on both pairs the Vibram soles gave up. never had that happen in the past with them and was wondering if they've change something.

Never had a problem myself, BUT, when I had the chippweas caulked my boot guy did not want to do them cause he said I had the 'good vibram soles' - I never asked what that meant, but now I wonder . . .

Redwing fan myself. I've worn the 202's for years now. They're not what many of you guys would probably like due to no steel toe and a relatively smooth sole but for my work they are good.
I usually get a solid 2 years outta them before they are just looking to bad and I want to change them. Even then the boot itself is just fine they are just looking rough.

Only time I destroyed soles like that was when I was a much younger man who rode dirt bikes. Kicking over that Honda CR 500 was a ##### ! Destroyed a pair of Chippewas just like that. After that I bought some good motocross boots. Never blamed the boots though ..... I seriously mis-used them.

Only time I destroyed soles like that was when I was a much younger man who rode dirt bikes. Kicking over that Honda CR 500 was a ##### ! Destroyed a pair of Chippewas just like that. After that I bought some good motocross boots. Never blamed the boots though ..... I seriously mis-used them.

Can't really say that was the cause of this. I do ride but pretty rare that I wear my work boots now unless I'm working field tile or something. I did a lot of riding when I was younger but never had it happen on those. Back when I was working on the farm I'd get about a year out of them before the leather would go from the water/dew damage from working cattle, walking fence lines in the pasture and such.

Working wood in wet conditions I'll put on slip overs so the leather last better for me now. Wear them everyday to work which is inside on tiled floor.

MVC-020S_12.JPG

As you can see, the uppers are in pretty good shape on these. They had the real nice lacing eyes and looked well made from the start. Took them to repair guy but he wanted $50.00 to resole them. Paid $65.00 for them new so it was a no brainer. I do use my boots but just found it odd in all the different brands I've had over the years it never happened to any of those before. With or without Vibram soles. Quite frankly, these were abused less than those. They do have over 2 years on them but I've had a few others go that long with just stitching failures.

Last edited:
Kevin. I had a pair of cheap hiking boots with the vibrams let go just like yours a year ago, but thought it was a el cheapo boot issue. None of the Vibrams on my other boots show any signs of giving up just yet.

I have two pair of Timberline Pro steel toe boots. they are unbelievably comfortable. I read nothing but complaints about how cheaply they were made and the eyes did not hold up but the price was right( friend works for them) $75 and steel toe. I have a Chippewa pair too but man are they heavy. And the water proofing wears out quick. I can't find true bees wax anywhere other then online so I need some "alternative" water proofing method...

A

I have two pair of Timberline Pro steel toe boots. they are unbelievably comfortable. I read nothing but complaints about how cheaply they were made and the eyes did not hold up but the price was right( friend works for them) $75 and steel toe. I have a Chippewa pair too but man are they heavy. And the water proofing wears out quick. I can't find true bees wax anywhere other then online so I need some "alternative" water proofing method...

A

I've had good results with Obenauf's. I use the paste for the initial treatment and do touch-ups with the liquid.

I've got a pair of the chippewa loggers that I've had around 7 years. Only wear them in the winter since they have a little insulation but they've held up better than I expected. Used to wear them working cattle and being in the mud a lot I figured they wouldn't last real long but they've held up good so far. I hope to get another year or so out of them. The waterproof is no more but other than that they've done good.

That obenaufs is good stuff. I got the paste and the liquid. I've done my chippewas and hoffmans this weekend and need to do the red wings with it.

Last edited:
Can't really say that was the cause of this. I do ride but pretty rare that I wear my work boots now unless I'm working field tile or something. I did a lot of riding when I was younger but never had it happen on those. Back when I was working on the farm I'd get about a year out of them before the leather would go from the water/dew damage from working cattle, walking fence lines in the pasture and such.

Working wood in wet conditions I'll put on slip overs so the leather last better for me now. Wear them everyday to work which is inside on tiled floor.

MVC-020S_12.JPG

As you can see, the uppers are in pretty good shape on these. They had the real nice lacing eyes and looked well made from the start. Took them to repair guy but he wanted $50.00 to resole them. Paid $65.00 for them new so it was a no brainer. I do use my boots but just found it odd in all the different brands I've had over the years it never happened to any of those before. With or without Vibram soles. Quite frankly, these were abused less than those. They do have over 2 years on them but I've had a few others go that long with just stitching failures.

Really? A no brainer? How much would they cost to replace? How much they initially cost is totally irrelevant imo. Good fitting comfortable broken in boots are a hard thing to come by ... I'd re-tread em for $50 in a heartbeat :msp_thumbup:

A

Angelo, any local whole foods store should have beeswax blocks, and even Kmart carries Yaley 1lb blocks. Other sources might be sewing stores, or craft/hobby stores.

Really? A no brainer? How much would they cost to replace? How much they initially cost is totally irrelevant imo. Good fitting comfortable broken in boots are a hard thing to come by ... I'd re-tread em for $50 in a heartbeat :msp_thumbup:

I thought the purchase price was relevant as I didn't want to try to pass them off as a high dollar boot. I looked in the latest flyer SG sent and looks like from the ad they will run $63.00 with free shipping for replacements.

MVC-018S_17.JPG

MVC-019S_16.JPG

Where I work will go 1/2 the cost on steel toes and we can get a new pair once a year. So it costs a little over $30.00 for a new pair or $50.00 to get resoled.... That is where I made the no brainer comment from. Yes, i stock up once a year and that's why I see several brands. Never had the Carhart "branded" versions but the have the nice lace loops. The last round was Rhino brand but haven't tried those. They look decent too. Interesting as about 10 years ago I got some Chippewa's from them. I guess the make a couple of grades?

Right out of high school I decided to get a "good" pair of boots. Got the top of the line Wolverines and paid more than twice what I was getting loggers for. They were the worst pair of boots I've ever owned. Took weeks to break in with blisters and soles delamed with 3 months. Store did the repair for free but they did it again and I just tossed them. Was tired off shaving calluses they caused, felt like I had splinters in your feet if I didn't shave them down.

I see ... company subsidized clothing is a good thing when ya get it, so it is a no brainer for you :cool2: I just got the same flyer, might try that same boot for Summer work ... if they have my size :laugh: Good price, that's for sure!

Not looking to get burned at the stake, but logger's boots aren't that comfortable. I figure we don't need the heel when cutting on flat land. Also, they feel clumsy on my feet. The last pair I got was a pair of Asolo mountainering boots. Gore-tex, cordura, vibram sole, nice rubber rand around boot and toe. The area where I cut is rocky and steep, and these boots can deal with it. No insulation, but not looking to cut when it gets so cold it would bother me. Not knocking anyones choice, put after trying these boots, won't be going back to the standard. I will say one thing, leather can get very comfortable......that's why I bought a pair of Asolo hikers in leather.

Shea

BTW--If you can't handle stiff soles, these boots aren't for you. They don't make your feet sore from the twist and bend that most boots put your feet through. Also, not made in China......Romania!!!!Yeah:rock:

I have 4 different Carhartt boots (the ones made by Red Wing).
They are all extremely comfortable, good looking and tough.
Red Wing sold the Carhartt naming rights to Black Diamond recently so Red Wing made Carhartt boots can be found for great prices on clearance.

Last weekend I bought 2 more pair of Carhartt boots for $110 total. They are very good quality. I now have enough boots to last me a lifetime, and I didn't pay a lot of money for them.

I can't stand that they were made in China, but I can't justify buying 1 pair of boots for $200 just because they were made in USA. I have evolved my thinking on this matter. With the way prices on things have escalated in the past 3 years, the dollar savings make a big difference.

Last edited:
I have 4 different Carhartt boots (the ones made by Red Wing).
They are all extremely comfortable, good looking and tough.
Red Wing sold the Carhartt naming rights to Black Diamond recently so Red Wing made Carhartt boots can be found for great prices on clearance.

Last weekend I bought 2 more pair of Carhartt boots for $110 total. They are very good quality. I now have enough boots to last me a lifetime, and I didn't pay a lot of money for them.

I can't stand that they were made in China, but I can't justify buying 1 pair of boots for $200 just because they were made in USA. I have evolved my thinking on this matter. With the way prices on things have escalated in the past 3 years, the dollar savings make a big difference.

Walmart thanks you for your loyal dollars....the rest of the US workers might not.

Latest posts

Back