Got me some new Chippewa boots today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had always heard about getting boots wet and wearing them until they dry. Well one time i did that new boots got really wet well i wore them all day and never had any trouble with them just broke in in one day.

I had always heard about getting boots wet and wearing them until they dry. Well one time i did that new boots got really wet well i wore them all day and never had any trouble with them just broke in in one day.

Only boots that didn't work with I still regret buying to this day.

If anyone wants a free pair of size 8EE steel-toe boots, PM me, maybe they'll work out better for your feet than mine!

Mine won't need the water treatment, but I'll remember your method.:)

A gentle break-in, eh? Stand in the creek for a minute in the morning, and work the piss out of them, get it over with! :laugh:

Ha! Gradual break-in has always worked for me, maybe that's why this is my first new pair of boots in nearly 10 years!!

Did spend a few hours in the woods today marking trees for a new pig pasture ... ~30 trees coming down starting tomorrow :rock:

Ha! Gradual break-in has always worked for me, maybe that's why this is my first new pair of boots in nearly 10 years!!

Did spend a few hours in the woods today marking trees for a new pig pasture ... ~30 trees coming down starting tomorrow :rock:

Whatever works for you. I usually don't have the luxury of a gradual break-in. When I get a pair of boots , I needed them a month ago. And have paid the price with some bloody blistered feet!

Now go put those boots and your saw to work, and get that wood on the ground! :msp_thumbup:

Whatever works for you. I usually don't have the luxury of a gradual break-in. When I get a pair of boots , I needed them a month ago. And have paid the price with some bloody blistered feet!

Now go put those boots and your saw to work, and get that wood on the ground! :msp_thumbup:

Ouch! If that were my case, I'd be standing in the creek right beside you Bro.:)

Extremely dissapointed

So, spent nearly a full day in the woods yesterday with a friend, cleared all the small saplings and brush (for a new pig pasture at ~100 x 200') and took down a couple good size (~18") white oaks and was very happy with the comfort of the new boots. I get home last evening, and after knocking out the dirt in the backyard decided to take a good look at 'em. What do I find? ... the ####ing stitching was already coming apart on one of the boots! Damn!!
Called Bob's Store this morning and was actually very surprised that they had another pair in my size. Shot right over there this afternoon after wearing the old beat up boots today ... and swapped the new boots for a newer pair. Hope this pair holds up, cus it's a royal pain to break-in new boots!! When this pair of boots ware out ... it may be the last pair of Chippewas I own.

So, spent nearly a full day in the woods yesterday with a friend, cleared all the small saplings and brush (for a new pig pasture at ~100 x 200') and took down a couple good size (~18") white oaks and was very happy with the comfort of the new boots. I get home last evening, and after knocking out the dirt in the backyard decided to take a good look at 'em. What do I find? ... the ####ing stitching was already coming apart on one of the boots! Damn!!
Called Bob's Store this morning and was actually very surprised that they had another pair in my size. Shot right over there this afternoon after wearing the old beat up boots today ... and swapped the new boots for a newer pair. Hope this pair holds up, cus it's a royal pain to break-in new boots!! When this pair of boots ware out ... it may be the last pair of Chippewas I own.

well that stinks ! sound like at least Bob took care of you, keep us posted

do you by chance have the stocking number so I can avoid that model ?

I went to my local Bob's this weekend to check out the boots you purchased. As usual they don't stock size 14 which I require but the boots looked nice. I have a pair of China made Chippewa's that are a couple years old and they're great except they don't have a steel toe. For some reason I'm taking PPE real serious lately and after recently purchasing chaps I feel I should invest in steel toe boots. Tomorrow I'm going to take a ride to a store that sells Danner boots. Supposedly Danner is made in the USA and if they have nothing I like I'll hit the Red Wing store on the way home.

Hope the new boots work out.

Didn't see that coming. Glad your store took care of you. Am seriously interested to hear how this next pair works out.

I sure didn't either!! And not expected at all. I'll keep this thread updated with the new pair once they're broken-in :msp_thumbup:

well that stinks ! sound like at least Bob took care of you, keep us posted

do you by chance have the stocking number so I can avoid that model ?

Yeah it does! Bob did take care of me, just hope this new pair isn't from the same "batch" ... you know, like some cars that are built on Friday afternoons that ultimately turn into lemons. The boots are STYLE 25410 (see pics in the first post)

btw, here's the area of failure (didn't snap a pic of the failure before I returned them) ... all three rows of stitching came apart for nearly 1/2 an inch! :mad2:

I went to my local Bob's this weekend to check out the boots you purchased. As usual they don't stock size 14 which I require but the boots looked nice. I have a pair of China made Chippewa's that are a couple years old and they're great except they don't have a steel toe. For some reason I'm taking PPE real serious lately and after recently purchasing chaps I feel I should invest in steel toe boots. Tomorrow I'm going to take a ride to a store that sells Danner boots. Supposedly Danner is made in the USA and if they have nothing I like I'll hit the Red Wing store on the way home.

Hope the new boots work out.

I hear ya on the PPE thing, and chaps are my next purchase. Caught my Levis yesterday and ripped them, fortunately no flesh damage, but this is the third time this has happened in the last three years :eek2: Think my luck ... if that's what it's called, may run out soon.
Thanks Halligan :cheers: and good luck in your pursuit of steel tip boots.

thanks for the info on the chippewas BIGL- I was about to buy a new pair and will hold off now and see what you think-

So, What do I find? ... the ####ing stitching was already coming apart on one of the boots! Damn!!
it may be the last pair of Chippewas I own.

Big L : Glad to see Bob helped you out, and glad you're getting some PPE Chaps too. I got my 1st pair last year After cutting firewood for 45 years. Did just like you. Nicked a few pair of Levis, and drew a little blood the last time.
Wore my Double-H boots all day today. They did ok. Comfy, no rubbing, but they are a tuff made workboot that needs some breaking in.

Finally made it to the Farm Store and found some boot leather conditioner and preservative. Made the boot color darken on these Double H boots, but now they are treated and ready for a worout.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Left Boot
attachment.php

Right Boot
attachment.php

Thought I'd revive this thread...

Nice pics, Sagetown! I tried on a pair of those today at the local leather/boot shop and I think I'm gonna pick them up later this week. A bit pricey (around $200 on sale) but if they last and continue to be as comfortable as they were when I tried them on today then I'll be happy.

I tried on several Justins, Chippewas, and a couple other Double H's and these felt the best on my feet by far. Most of the others felt really narrow inside, but somehow seemed wider and clunkier in the soles. These felt just right to me.

I didn't even really flinch at the price too much, because I think it's really important to have good footwear that you're comfortable in. The sole looks pretty awesome too for working out in the woods and cutting wood.

Gotta get ready for breaking in another pair of boots. It's been 4 years or so since I've had a new pair of leather boots.

my Chippewa's haven't been broken in yet ... damn, got so warm this Spring just bean wearing the old boots, .. feet cook in the new ones :msp_rolleyes: ... shoulda bought them in the fall!

Nice boots Sagetown:msp_thumbup:

Finally made it to the Farm Store and found some boot leather conditioner and preservative. Made the boot color darken on these Double H boots, but now they are treated and ready for a worout.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Left Boot
attachment.php

Right Boot
attachment.php

I got a pair over 3 and a halt years ago. I got my from a boot store for 189 dollars only had to take them back once to get the souls fixed they was coming apart. I wear them everywhere i go. Best boot i here ever owned. I would buy a new pair but the boot store i go to doesn't sell them anymore.

Back