Got my new Jonsered 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Finally struck the deal to trade-in my 2159, couldn't wait to tell someone!

I'm going camping with it in northern Michigan tonight, can't wait to try 'er out.

Surprisingly, too, it has an inboard clutch. I know that won't surprise anyone HERE, but the Tilton website says it has an outboard clutch, which is what I was expecting.

No bother, it looks like it'll be easier to put bars and chains on now.

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
bwalker said:
Its going to be a bit cold for camping, isnt it?

Heck no!! As a matter of fact, the only thing we're worried about is that it may be too warm! On Sunday there's a chance of some precip, and if it's not sufficiently cold it'll come down as rain instead of snow. Snow good, rain bad.

We'll be in a tent, and I've got a down-filled 15-degree mummy bag...I'll be as warm as I would be at home. My dog's a retriever, and he won't even stay under the blankets in the tent...he gets too warm.

And I'm guessing that, with the new 2171, I'll be able to get enough wood quickly to overcome the cold, anyway!

brncreeper

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Have fun with your new toy!:)

Surprisingly, too, it has an inboard clutch. I know that won't surprise anyone HERE, but the Tilton website says it has an outboard clutch, which is what I was expecting.

I’m not crazy about inboard clutch designs. On the longer bars the chain tightness must be constantly tight or it comes off. Someone’s better idea wasn’t so better. :angry:

oldsaw

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
brncreeper said:

I’m not crazy about inboard clutch designs. On the longer bars the chain tightness must be constantly tight or it comes off. Someone’s better idea wasn’t so better. :angry:

Wow, I'm just the opposite. I can put my 42" bar on my 066 in 1/3 the time or less than the 3120, and needing one less hand. Whatcha doing with a 3120 in Iowa anyway?

Mark

brncreeper

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
To each his own I guess. I don’t find swapping chains a problem with the outboards. And if you have to change clutches that much, there’s operator problems.:laugh:
A 3120 is overkill since I don’t mill. It has come in handy for stump removal and large oaks. This year I purchased a used Dosko stump grinder and have been making a little on the side removing stumps.
A 395 would probably have been sufficient.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
brncreeper said:

I can maybe see that happening on sprocket.. but if it jumps off a rim it doesn't matter whether its inboard or outboard, and it would have to be really really loose either way (with a rim)...

Latest posts