Got to use the new wood system today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselTech

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, we all know the big hassle with firewood is handling it. Cut it, then split it. Load the splits and haul them back, only to unload them and stack them to dry. Winter comes, and you have to unstack it, load it back up, take it to the house, unload and stack it again. Lots of handling there, and that's no fun. :laugh:

I've been working on putting my system together for about a year now, mostly collecting up stuff. The crates use a pallet for the base, and industrial pallet rack decking for the sides. I carry the crates to the splitting site, and stack directly into them. Theoretically, that should be the last time the wood gets handled until it goes into the stove. Each one measures about 4'x4', and roughly 4' tall. I bring the crates home, unload them and the wood dries in the crate. Plenty of airflow through the sides. When it's time to light the stove, I can pick up a crate with the forks on my tractor and bring it right up to the house. Seems to work just fine, unless the tractor breaks down. :msp_rolleyes::hmm3grin2orange:

tractorforks1.jpg

tractorforks2.jpg

So far, I'm happy with the way it's working. I have one set of forks on the tractor, and 4 crates built. I saved a lot of money by scrounging scrap here and there, and building the forks myself.

Last edited:
I have had the same idea only a little different twist on it ever since I seen one very similar to yours at where I work. They use it for cardboard boxes before it goes to the bailing machine. I seen them and thought...hmm... that could save a step of two. Good Idea

Now the only thing I may suggest is to have it made so you can fold two sides opposite each other down at about the halfway mark. That will make it way easier to reach the wood once the crate starts to empty out a little. Maybe you have already done this hard to see from the pics if you have or not. Just a thought but good idea :cheers:

Now the only thing I may suggest is to have it made so you can fold two sides opposite each other down at about the halfway mark. That will make it way easier to reach the wood once the crate starts to empty out a little. Maybe you have already done this hard to see from the pics if you have or not. Just a thought but good idea :cheers:

I have not done that, but you're right. It would be much easier to access the wood that way. The current crates have 3 full height sides, and one half- height side. With the crates being so wide, it's actually fairly easy to get to the wood until you get to the bottom half of the last row. Allowing the other sides (at least one) to fold down would make that a lot easier. However, I'm not entirely convinced it would be worth the effort to try and reinforce one of the wire mesh sides enough to support a hinge bracket, considering it really isn't as difficult as it would seem.

That looks pretty slick, and reminds me of a system we used at a construction shop where I worked as a teenager. They had a Yale propane forklift, and someone had the smart idea to stack firewood on pallets and bind the finished 4x4x4 cubes with nylon packing straps (about 1/2" wide nylon "tape" on a large roll, with a tensioner and crimper tool -- same stuff used to strap cubes of lumber). The pallets would sit in the yard most of the year, and then get fork-lifted into the shop (a steel building) as needed during the winter. We'd just cut the straps, let the wood spill as it may, and use up the wood off the pallet. It was a great system.

That's cool

I have not done that, but you're right. It would be much easier to access the wood that way. The current crates have 3 full height sides, and one half- height side. With the crates being so wide, it's actually fairly easy to get to the wood until you get to the bottom half of the last row. Allowing the other sides (at least one) to fold down would make that a lot easier. However, I'm not entirely convinced it would be worth the effort to try and reinforce one of the wire mesh sides enough to support a hinge bracket, considering it really isn't as difficult as it would seem.

I like that idea a lot.

For getting those last pieces out of the boxes, get some wood tongs. Or make some.

Seems you could make the entire boxes from pallets or pallet wood as well, save some on cost. Weigh a little bit more, that's it. Maybe use plastic pallets for the one that sits on the ground, or all plastic if you can source them cheap or free.

I have been doing this for about three years now and seems to work out great.I made 12- three sided boxes out of pallets and use a wire across the open side to keep the load from spreading.I even double stack them on a hill on the sunny side of my home.I use a 257 cat skid steer with forks to move them.I also only cover the tops with plastic stapled to pallets.Then I staple a baggie with the date and wood info.

I have been doing this for about three years now and seems to work out great.I made 12- three sided boxes out of pallets and use a wire across the open side to keep the load from spreading.I even double stack them on a hill on the sunny side of my home.I use a 257 cat skid steer with forks to move them.I also only cover the tops with plastic stapled to pallets.Then I staple a baggie with the date and wood info.

This is worth seeing although my tractor sure as hell isn't picking up 1/2 cord of anything. I could downsize.

Don't know about the date & baggie.... that just seems too OCD ;)

I don't burn green wood.It's important to know how long it has been drying.I don't think that's OCD

Seems you could make the entire boxes from pallets or pallet wood as well, save some on cost. Weigh a little bit more, that's it. Maybe use plastic pallets for the one that sits on the ground, or all plastic if you can source them cheap or free.

In the future, that's the plan. I got the wire decking for free, so I used it. :rock: May not run across any more, so future crates will probably be pallets. I can usually find those for free.

Latest posts

Back