Grease guns.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sand sock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just finished my 4th Oregon grease gun in 2022. I've never had any of them survive attempting to refill it. Who makes a good one that is going to last and is refillable. I have 1 cheap one left and then I'm getting something better.

I just finished my 4th Oregon grease gun in 2022. I've never had any of them survive attempting to refill it. Who makes a good one that is going to last and is refillable. I have 1 cheap one left and then I'm getting something better.
Most usually get air bound. but the one I bought at Napa Auto seems to work good. Dont spend too much they break no matter what it seems.

Most usually get air bound. but the one I bought at Napa Auto seems to work good. Dont spend too much they break no matter what it seems.
I could see refilling them with a full size grease gun. But I'm not buying a replacement John deer grease gun. Just to keep the air out . That just doesn't make sense.

I've had one of these for years, can't say it gets a lot of use, but it always works.
https://www.mcmaster.com/10225K97/

Grease guns are the bane of my existence. If they're not airlocked, then they're spooging out mounds of grease in my toolbox, and if they're not spooging out mountains of black moly grease in my toolbox, then they're doing a spring-loaded "money shot" of a pound of black grease onto my workbench when I try to refill or un-f$ck them. If I had a nickel for every HOUR I've spent fighting with grease guns ... or snow-shoveling mountains of grease out of my toolbox or off of my workbench into the trash can ... over the course of my life, I would be richer than Bill Gates.

After I got a backhoe, and needed to grease eleventy-bajillion zerk fittings on the hoe, I got the bright idea to buy grease in 5-gallon pails ("I'm saving MUNNY!") but unfortunately, most of that grease ends up in my toolbox, on the workbench, on my clothes, in my hair, on the seat of the truck, all over the washing machine, packed all up in my lug-soled boots (and then on the carpet)...I could go on.

Don't get me started. Grease guns are the spawn of SATAN.

Grease guns are the bane of my existence. If they're not airlocked, then they're spooging out mounds of grease in my toolbox, and if they're not spooging out mountains of black moly grease in my toolbox, then they're doing a spring-loaded "money shot" of a pound of black grease onto my workbench when I try to refill or un-f$ck them. If I had a nickel for every HOUR I've spent fighting with grease guns ... or snow-shoveling mountains of grease out of my toolbox or off of my workbench into the trash can ... over the course of my life, I would be richer than Bill Gates.

Don't get me started. Grease guns are the spawn of SATAN.
I've had good luck with this dual pressure from John deer. I go through about 2 cases of tubes a year. Mines lasted 2 years so far
Screenshot_20230110-210010.png

I have refilled the Oregon disposable units 3-4-5-6+ times. The two tricks are 1) removing the plug, try sliding a piece of wire or an awl along side it to break the vacuum and 2) when refilling, use a powered grease gun to minimize the amount of air entrapped in the grease. Some air won't kill the deal as the pumping action will eventually allow it to pass.

Sooner or later, you will pull the tab off the plug but until then you're good to go.

Mark

No need for a grease gun when you dont grease tips...
Do you have a husky? I'll wait for you in saw section asking why my chain runs nonstop when idling or I can't pull the pull cord. With out ripping my shoulder out. Good thing you have 2. 🤣

Back