Great find, massive wood knocked down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Close to home, during the winter a Huge tree came down and in falling knock about a dozen other very large trees down as well. There about a 30' wide 300 foot channel thru the forest where all these trees are now on top of each other. And lucky me, they are near, or on the road and are clean, of about a 1 to 1 1/2 foot in diameter. About 1/3 of it is Tamarack, and the other I think may be DOUGLAS FIR or ENGELMANN SPRUCE, but I'm not at all sure.

It's pretty remote, and a neighbor and I are cutting into it. I only need another 2 cords, the neighbor needs about 10 cords or more. Fun times ahead, and we won't be breaking out backs this year.

Can I get a little Wood type identification help here? :)

TreeId 001 (1024x768).jpg TreeId 002 (1024x768).jpg TreeId 003 (1024x768).jpg

Close to home, during the winter a Huge tree came down and in falling knock about a dozen other very large trees down as well. There about a 30' wide 300 foot channel thru the forest where all these trees are now on top of each other. And lucky me, they are near, or on the road and are clean, of about a 1 to 1 1/2 foot in diameter. About 1/3 of it is Tamarack, and the other I think may be DOUGLAS FIR or ENGELMANN SPRUCE, but I'm not at all sure.

It's pretty remote, and a neighbor and I are cutting into it. I only need another 2 cords, the neighbor needs about 10 cords or more. Fun times ahead, and we won't be breaking out backs this year.

View attachment 505995 View attachment 505996 View attachment 505997

See my other post in the thread about how to season wood that popped up recently... looks like I was right. Conifers! Now I totally agree with you on letting things dry out a bit before hand splitting. :chop:

View attachment 505995 View attachment 505996 View attachment 505997
you get two,,and the neighbor gets ten?????

We had some storms come thru that did the same thing. Some spots up in the hills look like a small twister went thru. Tamarack & red fir is what everyone wants around here.

Like many have said that's Engelmann spruce for sure.
Looks like you found yourself a honey hole, congrats.

It's good burning wood. It doesn't as long or as hot as say Douglas Fir/Tamarack, good wood none the less. I like to use is as shoulder wood or making a nice bed of coal before I throw hard wood in.

This was found off Hwy 90, near the Idaho Montana border. I'm gearing up to get another couple of trailer loads. It's very green and will last years, beyond the years it will take to season enough for burning, so I might as well load up. Plus my neighbor seems slow to react in going out and getting more.

That's Engelmann spruce in your pics. Whereabouts you located?

This was found off Hwy 90, near the Idaho Montana border. I'm gearing up to get another couple of trailer loads. It's very green and will last years, beyond the years it will take to season enough for burning, so I might as well load up. Plus my neighbor seems slow to react in going out and getting more.
Yessir, get it while the gettin's good...nice score!! Actually...now that I think about it...this is You Suck score territory. :cheers:

I finally found a good source of firewood rating. At least one that encompasses all that I can cut around here.

https://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Looks like the Spruce is near the rating bottom. But it burns and that fact that I likely will not get myself killed in getting it home is a win for me. :)

There's Tamarack there, and that's what I'm going in for, the Spruce helps fill the trailer and justifies the trip.

Back