Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I can hang with the best of 'em.

I'm pointing out that telling someone they have nothing worth your attention in a dangerous career field and won't/don't give him/her the ability to talk and be heard is asinine and could potentially be a safety hazard.

No, we are talking about newbies only here. These guys have to be watched closely and all the time. It is better to have them know not to talk a whole bunch and focus on the tasks they are given. It becomes apparent a guy is weak when he runs his mouth about things instead of completing the tasks.

What you are doing is circumnavigating, with your remarks, that's what a newbie with hurt feelings does. Frankly, as I have said before, I am surprised you would considering the training you have had.

P.S. This thread was started as comic relief for old heads.

No, we are talking about newbies only here. These guys have to be watched closely and all the time. It is better to have them know not to talk a whole bunch and focus on the tasks they are given. It becomes apparent a guy is weak when he runs his mouth about things instead of completing the tasks.

What you are doing is circumnavigating, with your remarks, that's what a newbie with hurt feelings does. Frankly, as I have said before, I am surprised you would considering the training you have had.

P.S. This thread was started as comic relief for old heads.

Some people can multi-task.

I will be a newbie (professionally) as soon as someone hires me. I have had no formal training. Everything I know is from helping people who DO know...as well as some who don't. I was speaking strictly from the management and supervisory perspective. I wouldn't want to work for anyone who told me to "shut up and color". Even the military is going away from that because they realize that people won't stay if they're treated like ****...especially right off the bat.

P.S. I DID find most of the comments/experiences pretty funny.

Some people can multi-task.

I will be a newbie (professionally) as soon as someone hires me. I have had no formal training. Everything I know is from helping people who DO know...as well as some who don't. I was speaking strictly from the management and supervisory perspective. I wouldn't want to work for anyone who told me to "shut up and color". Even the military is going away from that because they realize that people won't stay if they're treated like ****...especially right off the bat.

P.S. I DID find most of the comments/experiences pretty funny.

Well then, you go right ahead.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

" Why don't you have any tatooes!?"

I guess I'm an *******. Don't care.
Giving them ears to hear how the adults talk and work together is far above the old way of chippers and saws screaming with someone trying to yell over everything to let them know what's going on. I go through ten of these idiots before I find someone who might be worth keeping. I'm the lead foreman for a decent sized family owned ( not my family) company. I do the stuff that nobody else in the area can do, so when I say shut up and listen, that's what goes on. If they can't make it through a week of listening to me they are gone. Every groundie that's lasted with me can do their job extremely well. Knots, rigging, and sawmanship are taught. I don't know, maybe I'm full of myself.

"Can we stop by the store so I can get some breakfast? I don't have any food in my house." Third time in one week.

"You can't boss me around like I'm your wife. I'm done, I quit." He starts to walk down the street, then comes back realizing he left his check in the truck, then he walks 5 mile s back to the shop to get his car. He moved faster walking back than he ever did at work.

WHAT! Show up on time! WTF do you mean, the world revolves around me. I have one kid like that. Can't wait until she gets fired for the first time.
Lol I was on time twice last year.... it does help half my crew shows up even later than me, I'm the early one at 15 mins late haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Lol I was on time twice last year.... it does help half my crew shows up even later than me, I'm the early one at 15 mins late haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Yeah, we're a two man show, both father's of two. We run a bit late from time to time. Since we each own half the company it's hard to get fired. He runs about 5-10 late everyday, I run about 40 min late twice a month or so. Evens out.

Back