hack, or no?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a small issue with somebody today, and I am not sure if the person is a hack, or what? I was hoping that you guys could give me your opinions on this company.

Company does "tree work" and stone work.

"tree work" includes; tree removal, land clearing, stump grinding, tree planting, pruning, wood lot management, logging, etc.

Pruning is normally done with the use of spikes. To have the tree pruned without spikes is kind of a special request type deal.

The company has no interest in tree preservation, or PHC, or IPM. No spray rig in the near future for them.

No CA's at the company, however I think that the owner does attend TCI, and various logging shows.

They do follow a lot of Z133 rules and regs. I haven't actually watched them work in some time though, so my data there isn't accurate most likely.

The tree crews (2) probably work about 90 hrs a week each.

The company keeps commercial tree work liability in the amount of 5 mil, and worker's comp, and disability. No health insurance or anything like that.

Equipment is nice, and all pretty new. They do a LOT of work, mostly because of their speed I think.

So... what would your definition of this company be?

Originally posted by treeman82

Pruning is normally done with the use of spikes. To have the tree pruned without spikes is kind of a special request type deal.

You gotta ask?

Try forming your own opinion.

He sounds uneducated and ignorant about tree care and doesn't know any better, maybe?

Why the fixation with "hacks"?

The reason I care, is because I had labeled this company as an "Urban logger" not that long ago, and it upset several people on this board. I've met DEFINATE hacks before, and I don't think that this company is really a hack to that extent. This type of company seems to be almost average around here, though, give or take a few things. So I am wondering if there is a different, more appropriate term so as not to label as hack, or urban logger.

Nobody took exception to the term "urban logger" except in the context you used it, lumping loggers and hacks together.

Still wondering what the point is? Is there some deep analysis we are missing?

No deep analysis, simply looking for an appropriate term to use to describe such a company. Arborist doesn't fit, because of the lack of interest in tree preservation. Full blown hack doesn't fit, because they at least wear helmets, and are covered with comp. Tree company is WAY too broad of a term. Tree man might be accurate, but its singular, however it is kind of negative in viewpoint.

With the exception of spiking trims, I'd call them a tree company. Lack of a PHC program, or spray rig is irrelevant. So's the lack of a CA. Uneducated, maybe. Not every garage has a front-end alignment machine, an inspection machine, and a tranny dyno... does that mean the guys AREN'T mechanics?

Mike...
Nuttin' wrong with urban loggin'!!

:D

Seems you are reading more into this than there needs to be.

They are just a plain Jane " tree service ' nothing more.

I would define the " hacks " as more the no insurance, take up front money deposits and don't perform, tree toppers that turn trees into spars crowd. In other words the guys that operate at the low(est) end of the spectrum.

The guys your talking about are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, this is debateable of course.

Larry

sounds like there a profit driven buis,theres no way of knowing how competant there workers are,''pay peanuts get monkeys''like my labourers they leave there brain at home regulary,thats how they get paid.

82, If you feel compelled to capitalize a word, spelling it correctly should be a priority. (DEFINITELY). What should we call someone who hacks the language? What if they wear PPE and form sentences well but spike some of the words? Who gives a Tinker's? :rolleyes: Chances are, noone will be defined in the community by the words you choose on this board. Call them what you want! If you are striving for accuracy then be accurate-"A well equipped and efficient tree service company that engages in some improper practices."

pruning in spikes but they wear helmets and have insurance...how about safe hacks...or hacks who will live to hack another day.

Back