Hallucinating re Husky battery powered top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A while back I was in a Husky dealership in a neighboring state. They carried Husky and Stihl. The sales guy, if I remember right and am not hallucinating, showed me a new Husky battery powered, top handle, arborist saw. It came with 2 batteries and some other stuff. Price was $1,000. He said he had used it and the Stihl 201. He swore the Husky was the better performer. Now I can't find any such saw, no such record, no nothing. Has anyone else seen such a beast?

A while back I was in a Husky dealership in a neighboring state. They carried Husky and Stihl. The sales guy, if I remember right and am not hallucinating, showed me a new Husky battery powered, top handle, arborist saw. It came with 2 batteries and some other stuff. Price was $1,000. He said he had used it and the Stihl 201. He swore the Husky was the better performer. Now I can't find any such saw, no such record, no nothing. Has anyone else seen such a beast?

There is a great thread somewhere around here about a YouTube video comparing battery powered chainsaws. Neither Husky or Stihl came in first.

The saw review video(s) by Project Farm that you might be referring to Del didn't include the pro Husky top handle. The top handle the OP is referring to is likely either the older T535i XP or the new T540i XP. I have the 540 version and it's an absolute animal. Unless you're bucking a log with it (not it's primary designed use), one battery will last as long as a tank of fuel in my T540 XP gasser. Although MSRP is over 1k on the top battery Husky saws, you can get a complete package with two batteries and a charger for around $800 bucks out the door if the dealer is fair. Here is a link to the battery T540: T540i XP

The saw review video(s) by Project Farm that you might be referring to Del didn't include the pro Husky top handle. The top handle the OP is referring to is likely either the older T535i XP or the new T540i XP. I have the 540 version and it's an absolute animal. Unless you're bucking a log with it (not it's primary designed use), one battery will last as long as a tank of fuel in my T540 XP gasser. Although MSRP is over 1k on the top battery Husky saws, you can get a complete package with two batteries and a charger for around $800 bucks out the door if the dealer is fair. Here is a link to the battery T540: T540i XP
Battery life that good?? Tried a stihl 140 battery saw, made like 10 cuts and the battery (10 size ) was flat

Yep, battery life is excellent. I've tested it by bucking a tree at the full 14" bar width. One tree pretty much wore the battery down close to needing a recharge. However, using it for limbing stuff that's already down and it lasts almost exactly the same time as the gas tank on my regular T540. I like using a smaller saw to buck smaller trees as it lets my arms last longer into the day. The 540i is also great for quick cuts when running the chipper. To be honest, I bought it for my wife as the Army did a number on her shoulder and she was uncomfortable pull starting the gasser. I liked it so much that I wanted to use it more but I can NOT get it away from her. She's been making trails, cutting low branches and feeding the chipper like a mad woman. I considered selling the gas 540 but bottom line for us is it's not an either or situation between my T540 and T540i. They each really have their own spot in the fleet.

Yep, battery life is excellent. I've tested it by bucking a tree at the full 14" bar width. One tree pretty much wore the battery down close to needing a recharge. However, using it for limbing stuff that's already down and it lasts almost exactly the same time as the gas tank on my regular T540.
Could you specify the model of the battery? I believe there is a 200 and a 300 choice. Have you changed to the same chain as on the t540 gasoline one and see if what is posted above still holds true?

That $800 deal was like a black friday thing wasn't it? I got my earlier version like that and the dealer said half the discount came from him and half from the Husqvarna entity he gets stuff from. In my case they dropped the suggested prices soon after I bought.

It's actually not either of those. The T540i comes with the new BLI200X which I read is an improvement over the original BLI200 and optimized for the saw... or so I read. The bar and chain are different between the saws.

From viewing the Farm Projects video having a top handle might not be a necessity, as the saws are so light.

Also I believe one of the best rated saws was only about $350. but I could be mistaken. It was a very well done video like all of his stuff.

Del, I agree, he does EXCELLENT videos. He even helped me pick the best AA batteries a while back... I also agree that a top handle isn't necessary BUT for a small saw, I wouldn't have anything but a top handle. I've had one for the small stuff dating back over 20 years and I can't go back. It just feels right which is personal preference for sure. Husky does make a 540 rear handle as well if that's the buyer's preference. For me, I have a top handle for the small stuff and a 562XP for the big(ish) stuff...

Del, I agree, he does EXCELLENT videos. He even helped me pick the best AA batteries a while back... I also agree that a top handle isn't necessary BUT for a small saw, I wouldn't have anything but a top handle. I've had one for the small stuff dating back over 20 years and I can't go back. It just feels right which is personal preference for sure. Husky does make a 540 rear handle as well if that's the buyer's preference. For me, I have a top handle for the small stuff and a 562XP for the big(ish) stuff...

I've got two MS200T's I've had for 15 years and have been climbing for over 30, so I know what you mean.

How many charges will the batteries sustain? What if it sits for 3 or 4 months. Batteries have come along way, but I’ve had saws for 20 years. Not sure a battery would provide the same service. Maybe if it was the everyday go to it would work out better economically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dcsco, batteries have come a long way indeed. Modern Li Ion have an amazing shelf life and are perfectly happy sitting for long periods of time without much discharge. You could always keep one on the charger to maintain too. All my power tools are 18V Milwaukee with the oldest being a drill. Well, sort of the oldest. The two batteries that were included with it back in 2009 are still going strong but the drill has since died and been replaced. Now, I can't say what percentage of their original service life they still maintain and I'm sure they must have fallen off a little. But to me, they seem as good as new. I also got some larger 5AH Milwaukee 18V batteries with an impact wrench I bought in 2017. (After that I bought only the bare tools.) They occasionally run my circular saw, impact, cutoff tool, and jig saw but for the most part they sit on the work bench waiting and never let me down when I need them. I've had many instances where they have sat for months and are still at a full 4 charge lights when the time comes. All this said, I'm betting the Husky battery system is at least as good and likely better. Will it last 20 years? Man, I'd need a crystal ball and wouldn't want to take that bet without one. However, I am very satisfied after 6 months and anything else would be speculation. As to how many charge cycles the batteries will handle, I'd have to defer to the manufacturer as I haven't researched it.

Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts reviewing the battery vs. gas 540. The battery unit gets up to full chain speed in less than a second which is amazing and while I haven't done any high tech testing like Project Farm does, I honestly think it cuts a hair faster than it's gas counterpart. Another benefit is that if I'm just doing trail work or limbing small stuff on the ground, I can do so without hearing protection which keeps me cooler on warmer days in the woods... again, only if I can get it away from my wife... I married a country girl for sure!

Taken, sounds like the electric saw works for you. This caused me read up a little on li-ion batteries. The technology is still advancing. Looks like they discharge a small % monthly and can be good for up to 1200 cycles, if what I read is accurate. Probably the best part for the wife is the push button start.

Years ago, my brother worked making lithium batteries for torpedoes. The had to be made in a very low moisture environment lest they explode while the case was welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back