Hand filing chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When filing, I am right-handed, and tend to have more power when filing the Left side cutters. So I do those first, and compensate when filing the Right side cutters (e.g. taking extras strokes, whatever) so that they match in length and angles.

Whatever works for you!

Philbert

I am also right handed - but it is the other way around, I often have to add an extra stroke on the left side cutters.

On my grinder, the Left side cutters tend to come out a bit shorter than the Right side cutters, unless very carefully centered (changes with wheel wear). So it is easier to do the Left side cutters first, then take off a little more on the Right side, then it is to do the Right side cutters first, and try to add a bit more back on to the Left side. Just me maybe.

When filing, I am right-handed, and tend to have more power when filing the Left side cutters. So I do those first, and compensate when filing the Right side cutters (e.g. taking extras strokes, whatever) so that they match in length and angles.

Whatever works for you!

Philbert
When viewed from the front or the back? :buttkick:

I've never understood the point of filing the gullet. It's tucked down in between/below the raker and the tooth. In what way does not cleaning the gullet affect the way a chain cuts? Ive never cleaned a gullet , but I can sharpen a chain til the tooth is way past its life......and keep the chain cutting well all the while.
....I have seen some mullets I'd like to cut, but never a gullet.

Do I just need to keep the gullet even with the side plate?

In what way does not cleaning the gullet affect the way a chain cuts?
Gullets break up and carry the chips. More important with longer cuts, where chips have to be carried a longer distance. More important with larger chips (from sharper cutters).

I try to follow the original profile as the cutter is ground / filed back.

Philbert

When you cut with your newly sharpened chains, pay attention to the wood chips you are getting, and try to correlate those with how you last sharpened that chain. You want BIG chips (like corn flakes), not powder (like corn meal)! (Hope that example is not too 'corny'!)

View attachment 529308
(This example is from PowerSharp chain, but shows what big, fat chips look like!)

Philbert

I think this guy needs to do a YouTube video on sharpening lol

I have bought several loops of lgs over the last two years and they were not dull and yes I hand file chain
The point is that once you learn to file correctly a new chain is dull compared to a "properly hand filed one" I understand that this is hard to understand but I'm just trying to let people know it's worth the patience it takes to learn how to do it correctly... what's dull to me is probably razor sharp to others...

My chains tend to self feed well by my standards. But the length of the chips I get is short usually between 1-2 inches. Still chips but short.

I learned to use sharpie when sharpening a knife. Works on chain too, or even an axe.

Latest posts

Back