Hand filing chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a file guide I tried but it seemed like it was too high didn't take any meat out of the bottom

To me it looks sharp enough to cut a forest of Satan's back hair but idk what you think now

I have a file guide I tried but it seemed like it was too high didn't take any meat out of the bottom
That's what you want. After you sharpen the chain a few times you have to clean out the gullets freehand. This is what you have to do if you want a good chain.

View attachment 529052 here's a different technique a few strokes right on and a couple putting slight pressure upward as it filed.
That's a lot better, I still believe I see some reflection on the top plate, but it's hard to tell in the picture. Getting the file high enough for proper hook is extremely important.

There is a bunch of buildup of solid sawdust on the tops of the teeth. I know it's hard to see in a picture but checking it with my fingers would definitely lay you open on one.

i don't know about other brands of chain but my stihl chain calls for a 3/16 file on 3/8 chain.
Stihl recommends 13/64 for 3/8 chain, but 7/32 is only slightly larger and it works just fine. I do prefer the 13/64 files for a bit of extra hook.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I just know the package said 7/32 for 3/8 chain. I also bought a 3/16 file it said was for. 325

I'm also filing out the last hook the electric grinder put on it may need to go back and hit them again

I never really liked the profile of what the grinder did

Should be able to get the same profile with a grinder. Good for cleaning up rental chains. Some guys will go back with a file for a final edge.

Bottom does not cut. It only carries chips.

Cleaning out the gullet is a separate task/step, just like setting depth gauges.

Philbert

I guess that's why I never liked the hook my grinders made.I ground all the way down to the gullet. Maybe I should of raised it then went back and cleaned the gullet out

Went through it once more making sure all the top plates were filed right went out and tried it.... did awesome cutting really well like a new chain now I only got like a hundred chains left to file
Sounds like you're getting it down.[emoji106]
If you keep at it, your chains will be better than new.

The other issue I'm running into is the chain I'm filing is one of the ones I bring home from the rental shop... they put on a brand new chain everytime one goes out Its amazing how consumers can absolutely destroy a chain. Works out for me as I collected a 100 or more 24"full chisel Oregon chains and 100 or more 20" of the same. So I got chains out the wazoo.
Hey if you ever want to get rid of any of that used chain I would buy some loops off of ya.... never hurts to have extra around...

Back