Hand split or rent a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For the past 2 years i have rented a splitter and split 4 cords in a weekend have cut it all up into rounds. My stove takes up to 22” splits but i cut everything i can to 20” bar length. I have tried splitting with a maul but it kicks my tail, I am a rookie at this. My thinking is that if i cut everything 15” i could split it but that's a lot more fuel, sharpening and ware on the saw. Is it worth it for my manliness and my excuse to get out of the house “I gota go split wood” and drink beer.

Buy a good splitting axe like a Fiskars! For 4 cord I wouldn't bother renting a splitter, even if it takes you several nights after work to get it processed and stacked. Even though I have a monster splitter, I still split plenty by hand just to work off a couple of those canned pork chops.

For the past 2 years i have rented a splitter and split 4 cords in a weekend have cut it all up into rounds. My stove takes up to 22” splits but i cut everything i can to 20” bar length. I have tried splitting with a maul but it kicks my tail, I am a rookie at this. My thinking is that if i cut everything 15” i could split it but that's a lot more fuel, sharpening and ware on the saw. Is it worth it for my manliness and my excuse to get out of the house “I gota go split wood” and drink beer.

Hand splitting is good exercise!

The shorter round the quicker it will season.............:msp_biggrin:

I'd say it boils down to what you have more of- time or money. Me, I'd cut em shorter and do it by hand a little at a time.
I don't think it would put that much more wear on your saw or chain.

What's more valuable to you? Time or money? You can get an X27 or a regular maul for $50 or less and then you will have it for years to come. Weigh that against how much it will cost you to rent a splitter every year.

As for the extra wear, I think it's a negligible difference. For example, say you had a 20' long log you were cutting on. If you were bucking to 22" rounds, you would make about 11 cuts vs 18" rounds and you would be making about 13 cuts. Multiply that out over 4 cord and you may have to sharpen the chain one more time and put another tank of fuel in the saw.

The other question is, do you enjoy hand splitting? If not, then there's no discussion. Just rent the splitter and be done with it!

Edit: Realized you were considering cutting rounds to 15". In that case, you're talking 16 cuts vs. 11 for a 20' log. So say you have to sharpen the chain 2 more times and fill the tank twice. Maybe $2 for the extra fuel/oil and nothing if you sharpen your own chain. Probably $10 or so if you have someone sharpen your chains for you.

Last edited:
I have a splitter on my old Ferguson, so I have that option. The last tree I cut, I sawed it for my small stove and it was a nice 14ish inch red oak that grew fast in a wet area. I split it by hand and it went fine. Afterwards, I realized what a great workout it was and have kinda vowed to do it more often. That said, I sure wouldn't want to split most of the wood I cut without a splitter. I guess if I were you, I'd make my decision by the wood I have to split.

Personally i enjoy splitting wood by hand more than any other aspect of wood gathering. I love stacking it too.
I have a place way back in the woods, no neighbors within a mile of me. Usually in the fall after im done bow hunting in the evening i turn on my spot lights, crank some tunes and i'll split wood til midnight or 1 am. I enjoy that alone time, just me, an axe and my thoughts. I love the feel and sound when a round pops apart. I get a good work out and feel a sense of accomplishment by the time im done. Last year i split 7 cords by hand. I imagine as i get older i'll eventually buy a splitter but im in no rush. Right now i wouldnt trade my beat up ol axe for the newest wood splitter around, altho I am anxious to buy one of these Fiskars every ones talking about and doing some splitting with that this year.
Guess my advice is buy an axe, split some wood and see how you like it. If you dont like it you can always rent the splitter. You'll always end up using the axe here and there regardless so it wont be a waste of money. Maybe some years you split it all by hand, maybe some years you rent a splitter.

There are a couple terms on AS that you MUST familiarize yourself with. Pro Saw, and Fiskars. Until you own and use both you will find yourself at the very bottom of the AS totum pole. If you buy a Super Split (or whatever the current rage is), it may move you up a notch or two.

There are a couple terms on AS that you MUST familiarize yourself with. Pro Saw, and Fiskars. Until you own and use both you will find yourself at the very bottom of the AS totum pole. If you buy a Super Split (or whatever the current rage is), it may move you up a notch or two.

It actually helps a post if you use your own terms instead of everybody else's as it tends to bring out more banter! LOL One of my first, I spoke in truck loads of wood, NO, NO, NO, slap my hand! The big sticky's at the top don't tell you everything you need to know, but some one here will!

Wildeman,

Well think of it this way.
If you get a splitter i wouldn't drink anything while you are splitting.
One to many drinks can = one to few hands.

Hand splitting wood can just = one less foot.

Split and then drink :)
Sharpen chainsaw and do adjusting while you drink.
Semi drunk chainsaw sharpening probably won't cost you a limb.

As with all wood size does matter. LOL
Try cutting a couple 15" rounds and see how they split by hand.
If they are a pain then power splitter time.

If you have acess to lots of wood then without doubt get a power splitter.
Time spent hand splitting could be better used collecting wood IMO.

Last edited:
If you're gonna be processing wood every year, by all means get a power splitter of your own. Renting for the first year is OK to get the feel for it. But constant renting can surpass the cost of a good used splitter over time. There's four trips involved when you rent. With your own splitter you can cut the blocks to the length you prefer.

As for exercise, I don't hand split. That's asking for a heart attack. This ol' dog gets a good workout by felling, limbing & bucking. Then it's loading the rounds out of the woods, then on the splitter and stacking. There's enough exercise for one day, thanks very much. :)

It actually helps a post if you use your own terms instead of everybody else's as it tends to bring out more banter! LOL One of my first, I spoke in truck loads of wood, NO, NO, NO, slap my hand! The big sticky's at the top don't tell you everything you need to know, but some one here will!

Ehh? What did I miss?

Time v. Money as someone said.

And also what wood do you have, and when is your time available.

Whacking away at 4 cords a half hour at a time ain't too bad. Trying to hand split it all in a single weekend, you got issues.

Some wood splits better green, some wood splits better once frozen solid. Spreading your exercise out over the season can take advantage of what splits easier when.

I can bust up an easy splitting, high-value firewood like Red Oak three or four times faster then something like Box Elder whose only redeeming value is it has more BTUs then a snowball.

Lord help you if you have American Elm and only a maul or ax -- heard it said Dutch Elm disease spurred the invention of the hydraulic splitter.

Ehh? What did I miss?

Just saying, in fun, that reading everything in the sticky's does not give you the lingo terminology to write your posts up. Every area of the country I have been to has differant daily terminology to mean roughly the same thing, however if you use some terms that others do not like you get spanked. No big deal to me as long as I can receive the info I'm looking for and be helpful to another. As far as there being a ranking totem pole, well, who cares? And just because someone does not have a PRO SAW or FISKARS does not make them any less worthy of offering up help. The OP asked about hand splitting or renting a splitter and I gave my opinion based on the info of only processing 4 cords of wood a year. It just made sense to me to go hand split some at a time, have a beer or two while stacking and retire, unless you want or have something more worth while to do with your time.

Use a maul or rent a splitter ?

I probably don't use 4-cords a winter. Folks around this part of the country who sell wood - well most of them anyhow wouldn't know how much wood is in a cord. They call 'em ricks around here.

I'd say it just depends on what you really want to do and what you can afford. Another thing that may determine what to do is the type of wood you are getting.

Mostly what I get by scrounging around is Elm and a splitter is the only way to go using Elm. On the other hand something like Post Oak your wife (girlfriend) can easily split that with an ordinary axe.

If you can manage financially your own splitter is better than renting (in my opinion). At least with your own you can split some wood as you gather it - then accumulate more wood and split later or then.

Oh for small amounts a Fiskar X27 is nice to have. Say for instance you only pick up 3 or 4 rounds someone gives you. Using the Fiskar may be better than dragging out the splitter.

Nosmo

Cords, Mac88. Cords.

Before we'll even start worrying about Fiskars and pro saws...you'd best not be talking about truck loads, ricks, racks, or face cords :yoyo:

Given recent events, I think we should add felling with splitting wedges to the list.

I believe the OP DID say 4 cords, period. I was pokin' fun at all the Pro Saw-natics and Fiskar-holics who think that one can't process firewood without owning both. In my opinion, it's good to let people know that you don't necessarily NEED those items to successfully process fire wood. I don't, and I put up 20+ cords of firewood this year, with a 15 yr. old homeowner saw and a 30+ year old farmer-built hydraulic splitter. I've never felt the need to use a wedge when felling. But then, I don't drop many trees bigger than 30" or so DBH. Just sayin'.

Time v. Money as someone said.

And also what wood do you have, and when is your time available.

Whacking away at 4 cords a half hour at a time ain't too bad. Trying to hand split it all in a single weekend, you got issues.

Some wood splits better green, some wood splits better once frozen solid. Spreading your exercise out over the season can take advantage of what splits easier when.

I can bust up an easy splitting, high-value firewood like Red Oak three or four times faster then something like Box Elder whose only redeeming value is it has more BTUs then a snowball.

Lord help you if you have American Elm and only a maul or ax -- heard it said Dutch Elm disease spurred the invention of the hydraulic splitter.
How much longer does it take wood to season in rounds and how far ahead of my usage do i need to stay ahead. As far as the beer goes i will split then sit in the woods and have a couple at the end.

I was pokin' fun at all the Pro Saw-natics and Fiskar-holics who think that one can't process firewood without owning both. .

Well I'm new(not that it is an excuse) and I can't get a feel for your humour yet. I'm sure you'll get me broke in!

Back