Hard Leaner Near Power Lines, Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mentioned cutting it free of the stump, then talked about using wedges. Seemed unsure of a hinge. Either you aren't really sure of what you're doing or you're having difficulty explaining your plan. Either way, you should consider giving this a pass. Your family doesn't have the funds to hire a pro, do they have the funds to fix their power lines?

The pics show (i think) that the fir(?) is between the birch and the lines. If that is the case, a pro would just climb the fir and rope down into the birch and block it down. He's safely tied in and the power stays on. No fancy equipment needed (unless you call a rope and harness fancy). Seems way easier to me that trying to set up pulling lines attached to vehicles.

Well you started out good with frases like "close proximity to the line" " I've done all this before " I get the point about cutting the holding wood off a committed tree in close of closed canopies. (Pounding) I don't know what you are talking about in regards to the butt interfering with the line? It's a distribution line, its probably 12KV
(12000 V ) your conductor is the top only and below is your neutral. The bottom are tel and cable. That's not a personal drop to your house (200 amp service) as far as I can make out? why is it 'your' concern?
The Birch is fine anyways. Out of all the trees that would be the best I could think of. They stay solid at the butt and only decompose from the top 4'-5' at a time.
It's paper wood and often these pieces hold on forever and look so precarious but they don't separate for the longest time untill they only weigh a few pounds. at that point.

I don't think it's a private tap? Tell us more

Some family of mine have a hard leaning birch just waiting to take out their power. They have just opened a business and don't have the funds to hire a fully ticketed pro with all the fancy equipment, so I agreed to the challenge. I will include some pictures. I have fallen trees that were in close proximity to power lines on all sides, but nothing this close. The pictures don't do it justice. They are about 6 to 8 feet from the lines, and the tree is leaning a lot harder than it looks in pics.
First of all I don't have a lot of room to maneuver or fall the tree, so my only option is to fall it backwards by pulling it against its lean. I will anchor it back to something to keep it from taking out the lines once its free at the stump. Then with some helping hands, we will pull it backwards into the parking area.
What do you think?

Try calling your local Hydro utility. They may come and take it down for you if it threatens their hydro lines. That's what I would do.

What do you think?
I think that if you have the slightest doubt you can pull this off safely, you ought to bring in professionals to reduce the job to a point where you can finish it. There's no shame in walking away from a job that's beyond your capability ... I've done it several times. Like Clint used to say, "A man needs to know his limitations."

Have they gotten any bids? If not how do they know they can't afford it? Looks to me like their trying to put you in a spot you have no business in. What will you do if something goes wrong?

Power company took down a dead standing fir tree in my yard over the summer. It was nice, I left for work in the morning, wife got a knock on the door at around 9:00 AM, and by mid day the the tree was gone. We had just received a notice from the insurance that they were declining our renewal because the tree 'posed a threat' so I had started looking for a service to take it down. Not going to mess with anything near the power, if I don't have to.

I think I might pass on this one. I hate to get talked out of a great opportunity to gain some good experience though... but you've convinced me. Thanks for the opinions

No, a similar tree in the middle of nowhere is a great opportunity to gain some good experience.

I think I might pass on this one. I hate to get talked out of a great opportunity to gain some good experience though... but you've convinced me. Thanks for the opinions
Sounds like you did indeed get some good experience. Glad you made the right choice and will still be with us. I recently hired a pro to trim some trees near my house and power feed to a neighbors house. What he did in a couple hours would have taken me all day and we're both safe.

That is a good call. I used to work line clearance for a couple years. It is risky business. Unless it is service drops or secondaries, minimal line voltage is 7.2kv. Any little mistake could be the last. Besides in most instances, the electric provider is liable for tree damage if it is to occur.

That looks like a single phase dead-end pole with #2 or 2/o service. Looks like a reasonably new installation. The primary voltage is most likely 7200v (phase to ground), enough to kill pretty quick.

Most utilities have multiple Arborists on staff, that can come out and assess the situation. If they don't take the tree down entirely, they certainly can do a "make safe" cutting and let the property owner do the rest. That's common practice.

The utility will be far more forgiving if they are consulted on the front end of the impending job, rather than responding to a situation where the pole is broken, transformer damaged and primary conductor on the ground.

Get with the utility arborist and discuss it. Then decide on the best course of action.

Back