Heads up on a good deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My local Ace Hardware Store is having a 90th Anniversary sale beginning on April 2 thru April 7th. I got a small flyer in the mail. There's quite a few things on sale, but one thing caught my eye right away.

They have 2.6 oz. bottles of 2-cycle full-synthetic oil on sale for $.90 each. Reg. price is $2.49 ea. I did call the store to verify it is full-synthetic, and was told it is. But, they didn't know what brand it is or it's ratings. I was also told that there is no limit of how many can be purchased at that price, but supply is limited.

I do know that the Stihl Ultra HD is $2.99 per 2.6 oz. bottle and it rarely (if ever) goes on sale. I was also told that the Ace oil is 100% guaranteed, in regards to customer satisfaction. If you don't like it, you can return it, no questions asked.

Anyways, I don't know if this is a local, regional, or nation-wide sale. Just thought I'd mention it and pass it along.

If it's their own ACE- branded 2 cycle oil it's a synthetic blend claimed to meet JASO FD specs. Not full synthetic.

I won't directlly linkto the page here but I found it on their website, look up SKU 7199664 "Ace 2 cycle Synthetic oil". While it's listed as 'synthetic' the label on the bottle clearly says 'synthetic blend'.

I won't directlly linkto the page here but I found it on their website, look up SKU 7199664 "Ace 2 cycle Synthetic oil". While it's listed as 'synthetic' the label on the bottle clearly says 'synthetic blend'.

So whats wrong with that ??

i use jonsered oil,,a blend,,good stuff,,best of both worlds.

Would Stihl require a different mix using semi synthetic oil? I have been using ultra for so long and had such good luck with it, I don't look at alternatives. This one is hard to ignore though.

Would Stihl require a different mix using semi synthetic oil? I have been using ultra for so long and had such good luck with it, I don't look at alternatives. This one is hard to ignore though.

Nope, the ratio is the ratio. Mix to whatever you feel comfortable running in your saws.

l agree with roncoinr. 'Best of both worlds'.....if you really understand oil you would uderstand what this means. lf l was reccomending an oil for grandpa who never does any maintenance, never cleans a spark plug, does not know how to remove the odd bit of carbon ect. l'd reccomend a full synthetic oil. lf l was reccomending an oil to someone who is competant in basic maintenance with a highly modified, high compresion/rpm saw who wants the best lubrication and least wear, full synthetic would be very much down the list. lt amuses me when people pay a small fortune for full synthetic and think they have the best oil. Best for minimum deposits of carbon and cleanliness of internals yes. But best protection and lubrication properties under extreme conditions....definately not! Having said all this most oils these days are pretty good. Just don't fall into the trap of more money equates to better protection. Full synthetic has its advantages for sure...but lMHO its disadvantages outway them by far.

JASO rated FD oil is the best rating there is, regardless of blend or pure synthetic. For that price, it is still a good deal. I run 100%synthetic though. Nothing better IMO.

I shop a bunch at my local ACE and I picked up a flier today. It is the ACE brand that will be on sale and as mentioned before, it is blended (JASO-FD). I agree with roncoinc, I use Husqvarna blended oil and have no probems or concerns. I plan to go next week and grab some of the ACE stuff for $.90

2123, tanks for the heads up, I thumbed through the flier quickly and totally missed this deal the first time.

l agree with roncoinr. 'Best of both worlds'.....if you really understand oil you would uderstand what this means. lf l was reccomending an oil for grandpa who never does any maintenance, never cleans a spark plug, does not know how to remove the odd bit of carbon ect. l'd reccomend a full synthetic oil. lf l was reccomending an oil to someone who is competant in basic maintenance with a highly modified, high compresion/rpm saw who wants the best lubrication and least wear, full synthetic would be very much down the list. lt amuses me when people pay a small fortune for full synthetic and think they have the best oil. Best for minimum deposits of carbon and cleanliness of internals yes. But best protection and lubrication properties under extreme conditions....definately not! Having said all this most oils these days are pretty good. Just don't fall into the trap of more money equates to better protection. Full synthetic has its advantages for sure...but lMHO its disadvantages outway them by far.

Full of opinion and zero facts on that statement. The lubrication quality of synthetic oils is far superior to conventional oil, no matter if its 2-stroke, engine oil or gear oils. Do some research about synthetic oils and you will understand. If you need me to produce some reading material just ask, its easy enough to find.

Full of opinion and zero facts on that statement. The lubrication quality of synthetic oils is far superior to conventional oil, no matter if its 2-stroke, engine oil or gear oils. Do some research about synthetic oils and you will understand. If you need me to produce some reading material just ask, its easy enough to find.

I have to agree with you. From what I have read and heard over the years, there's nothing that comes close to the lubricating and protection properties of full-synthetic oil.

Given a choice of reg. dino oil vs. partial blend, I'll go with the partial blend every time. That's what goes in my pick-up and my wife's car.

Yep...is the blended stuff good enough for a saw? Probably. Will I skimp to save $1.50/g to find out? No.

Cant find the document, but synthetic oil was developed to enable artillery units the ability to fire for longer periods without having to replace components in the damper assembly. Non synthetic compounds broke apart under the heat and high loads of sustained fire. Engine performance is pretty well documented using synthetic oils. The breaking down of a 2 stroke oil is not the issue since the oil is not recycled through the engine. However, for the one time journey through the engine it does have high performance lubricating ability and can be burnt without unwanted residue.
In my experience, non ethanol gas is more important than oil selection. I have never had a 2 stroke problem due to oil selection. I have had a few need rebuilding after storing for a period of time with ethanol gas in the tank. Ethanol gas mixed with full synthetic and put on the shelf for a year is no better than cheap non synthetic.
However, I currently use BR-1 mixed 40:1 with 92 non ethanol gas. Just in case.

Do any of those little 2.6 oz (really about 4 filled to the top) have a transparent strip down the side. Some have in years gone by, I seem to have lost them though. I just figured out Amzoil sabre pro from the auto parts place comes out to pretty close to a dollar per 2.6 oz.

I just bought 5 bottles to replenish my stock. This was not in my circular but price check revealed on sale .90 cents a bottle. I might have to go back for more if I get the hoarding itchy.

Latest posts

Back