Heating oil price increase this winter will be "staggering."

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornbread

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Heating oil price increase this winter will be "staggering."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...oil_increases/

Northeast braces for home heating oil increases

New Englanders struggling this summer to pay gas prices topping $4 a gallon should brace for more bad news -- home heating oil costs next winter are expected to hit record highs.

One retail heating oil dealer says she expects a typical household delivery that cost $500 last winter will climb to at least $850 this winter.

"It's going to be staggering," said Northboro Oil Co. owner Sandra Farrell in telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's going to be a real problem going into this winter for everyone unless something changes."

Farrell, whose family has owned and operated the Northborough, Mass., business since 1953, said some dealers are talking about prices in the $4.89 per gallon range for the coming winter, about $2 more per gallon than last winter. An average household usually needs four deliveries from December to March, she said.

Record-high crude oil prices have sent gasoline costs soaring this year. The National Energy Assistance Directors' Association, which represents state-run low income energy assistance programs, recently predicted that home heating oil costs will hit record levels this winter.

The group said the national average cost to heat a home with oil this winter will be $2,593, up from $1,962 last winter. Families in cold-weather Northeast states will be hit even harder.

About 40 percent of Massachusetts homes use oil heat. More than 963,000 households in the state use home heating oil which is delivered by more than 800 distributors, many of them small businesses. In Maine, one of the nation's coldest states, four out of five households heat with oil.

Farrell told a Senate panel she expects high heating oil costs will force many cash-strapped families to make tough choices between eating and staying warm.

"It is very tough looking into the eyes of these customers when they ask me what I think they should do," Farrell said in testimony Wednesday at a Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee hearing. "I don't know what to tell them. For the first time I think some of my customers are going to have to choose between main essentials like groceries, gasoline, warm clothes and heating oil just to pay their bills."

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., who heads the Small Business panel, warned of an impending crisis in the Northeast, which is more reliant on oil heat than other regions.

"It is reality not rhetoric that price spikes will force people to decide whether to feed their families or heat their homes," Kerry said at the hearing.

Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe, the panel's ranking Republican member, said high oil prices are a matter of life and death. She said parts of Maine could literally "become uninhabitable" for many this winter.

"When people can't afford the cost of home heating oil, they simply freeze," Snowe said. "Consumers and small businesses are being stretched to the limit and beyond, but nowhere is the ensuing calamity looming larger than in New England where just getting through this winter is fast-becoming our No. 1 priority."

To ease the oil heating price crunch, Kerry and Snowe are pushing legislation to give businesses hurt by high heating oil costs access to credit through Small Business Administration disaster loan programs. They also want to help more families by expanding government home heating aid through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Millions of poor and elderly people on fixed incomes rely on heating assistance to help pay their bills.

Snowe has a bill, co-sponsored by Kerry, to mandate that heating oil from the Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve should be released if home heating oil tops $4 per gallon this winter.

Farrell said the line between running a business and a social services agency can sometimes seem to blur when she's dealing with families who can't afford to heat their homes.

"It is painful to have to tell someone when the temperature outside is below zero that we cannot deliver to them because they have no money," she said in testimony. "I have made so many exceptions, but if I make too many more, the business won't survive."

Small oil dealers are feeling squeezed because many customers can't pay, or else they get way behind in what they owe. The credit crunch means dealers can't pay their suppliers, who want their money within 10 days, Farrell said.

"We're finding the cash coming in very slowly," Farrell said.

It's a very serious situation for a lot of people, no question. Of course, a lot of people are turning to wood and wood piles around here are sprouting up all over. In Vermont state, local agencies, and even private individuals are gearing up free firewood distruibution plans for people in need. Such efforts, while worthwhile, can only do so much. Many people simply are not capable of burning wood either through age, disability, or completely unadaptable living situations. I expect there will be big problems this winter.

It has been good for wood sellers although I don't think prices have gone up any where near the increases in oil prices.

Drill here, drill now, pay less. Google that and sign the petition. It is the only way out of this supply and demand mess. We can't windpower our way out of this. Or we could try a windfall profits tax. Yea right, who is going to pay that in the end? Is 8-10 percent really gouging? I would like to be back at $1.30 too, but until the environmentel restrictions are lifted we are stuck!

sucks to be you you, a whopping 850 dollars for filling up your heating oil...
seriously thats ridiculous, here we pay over 1e for liter of HEATING oil with normal house owner oil tank being around 3 000 liters, do the math yourself...

Heating oil is gonna be a bear this winter. No boubt about it. Bend over and spread em wide, get ready for a giant sized walletectomy this time around. :cry:

seriously thats ridiculous, here we pay over 1e for liter of HEATING oil with normal house owner oil tank being around 3 000 liters, do the math yourself...

In Sweden its 14321 sek /m3
I love my wood boiler :)

High cost of heating

Fuel oil isn't the only thing that is sky rocketing this coming winter. The other day when I looked, natural gas has increased something like 75% for this year according to the stock exchange. Fuel oil was about 50% the the year that same day.

This hurts the lower & middle class American big time - Our government has screwed us over on this.

I just smile and see $$$'s everytime I look at my woodpile.

Gary

Hanssen, electricity is not expensive now where I live compared to the fuel and propane prices. But I feel that is going to skyrocket this winter just like the other energy options because everyone will start converting to it and overload the power grids. I know my Electric Cooperative is raising rates due to gov. regulations getting more strict as well( They burn coal to make the electricity).

I'm glad I have plenty of wood of my own to heat my place. I wonder though if with all this heating with wood is that going to bring about a regulation on firewood? My friend lived in hungry before he came over the pond to the US and he said they used to have a lot of forest but everyone started burning wood and now there is nothing but young stuff they replanted after harvesting everything to burn.

Start planting trees for burning and not hardwood :)

Here's what the Governor of Wyoming had to say about utility bills on Meet the Press today:

People are going to be stunned, I think, by the price increases in their utility bills over the summer in the Southwest as they deal with air-conditioning and in this part of the country. Currently, the--the current filings for utility rate increases in Wyoming are about 70 percent increase in the fall.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25439733/

what do you mean?

Fuel oil isn't the only thing that is sky rocketing this coming winter. The other day when I looked, natural gas has increased something like 75% for this year according to the stock exchange. Fuel oil was about 50% the the year that same day.

This hurts the lower & middle class American big time - Our government has screwed us over on this.

I just smile and see $$$'s everytime I look at my woodpile.

Gary

is there something they i haven't screwed us over on? i must have missed something.

With all due respects to JLROOT the problem is far from being just drill drill drill.
Apparently a lot of people aren't aware that for example, opening up the Artic wildlife refuge for open drilling would reduce prices one to two percent in 20 years. 20 years ??? And this is from the Bush administration who painted a rosy picture for Iraq and the paying for the war with oil. We all know how well thats working. And Osama Bin Laden is still around but that's another topic..
ALTERNATIVE forms of energy.. Solar, wind, etc etc.. its going to hurt but reality is here. The oil cartel, which includes the bloodsuckers from the oil companies, now knows it can charge whatever they want and we will pay it. They care about nothing else other than profit. I have no problem with profit but when the prices are fixed by monopoly's thats a whole different story. And its going to get worse.. Pretty easy to fix the price when you won't build new refinerys so even if new reserves are found you can always blame it on the inability to get it to market. Don't you remember Katrina ?? The infamous oil embargo of the 70's ??

:censored: :censored: :chainsaw:

Yeah yeah, we all know you guys pay more, but are you paying double what you paid last year? Your economy is built around high fuel prices, ours is not, yet. When you are used to paying a certain amount and it doubles in one year, along with gasoline, groceries, etc, it hurts that individual more.

I am sure your price has gone up as well, but how much from last year?

How much are they paying in EU for heating oil and how much last year? I did a bunch of googling and came up with the following:

using this(http://ec.europa.eu/energy/oil/bulletin/2008/with_taxes/2008_06_23.pdf) PDF and this page (http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/EUR/hist2008.html) and converting the UK's price/1000L (874.88eu/1000L) to $/gal i get $5.15/gal for heating oil as of 6/23/08. The UK price was the second lowest(luxemberg 852eu/1000L) price/litre on the table. ...for June 07 using the same webpages(both EU vs. $ and EU/1000L oil for June 07) but getting last years data I came up with $2.92/gallon

so Yup their heating cost almost doubled over the past year. Guess the USA is not the only ones that are screwed.

Stew

Last edited:
I payed $3.2x or $3.3x (forget which) last year. Due to taxes here, fuel oil costs more than high test gas and a bit less than diesel (no road tax). That would equate to close to $5.00/gal right now and price is still going up. Gas jumped .10 cents yesterday. $4.19. Wonn't need to buy any oil this year barring a major fire getting into my wood pile.

I think I am putting a chain and lock on my pasture gate again - did that back during the lasst fuel crunch.

Harry K

I think most of the people here will be in good shape so far as heating goes.

However I know there are a lot of people out there with fixed incomes. These people literally can't afford a $5 increase in anything! It becomes a choice between their medication, food, or heating.

Furthermore these people have no idea what to do when something like this happens.

If you know someone like this, tell them a possible solution is to move two families into one house. Then each pays half of the heating bill.

Here all the oil boilers have ben converted to pellet burners.
Does thet exist in the US?

A pellet burner costs in sweden about 3000 $ with installation.

/Hansson

wood boilers

Hansson, I have a Tarm wood boiler made in Sweden. Just curious, How big storage tanks do you and your neighbors use with wood boilers.? Are they pressurized or do you use heat exchangers?

Back