Helko, new sponsor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad bought me the vario 2000 a few years ago as a gift. I love the way it feels in my hand and the way it swings. On no knot wood it works very well. I did have 2 bad experiences with it and now it sits on the shelf still broken. The head itself is held to the handle through a guard bracket with 2 bolts that thread into the axe head. one of the bolts broke off inside the head. I decided after I inspected the other bolt that the 2 bolts came loose a little and I didn't strike square and caused the one to snap off. So, I take over to the machine shop to get it drilled out and retapped. I order 2 new bolts from Helko and proceed with the installation. I repeatedly check to make sure the bolts stay tight this time but within a month the same thing happened again, another broken bolt. Just decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.

I'm still hoping to see eval of 6 lb Council Tools maul, made right here in the US of A, in NC. Story on their 8 pounder is positive, but for some of 5-6 lb is much more violent, and 8 lb is much less controllable for controlling any wild flights. Meaning, dangerous with no compensating productivity boost.

My dad bought me the vario 2000 a few years ago as a gift. I love the way it feels in my hand and the way it swings. On no knot wood it works very well. I did have 2 bad experiences with it and now it sits on the shelf still broken. The head itself is held to the handle through a guard bracket with 2 bolts that thread into the axe head. one of the bolts broke off inside the head. I decided after I inspected the other bolt that the 2 bolts came loose a little and I didn't strike square and caused the one to snap off. So, I take over to the machine shop to get it drilled out and retapped. I order 2 new bolts from Helko and proceed with the installation. I repeatedly check to make sure the bolts stay tight this time but within a month the same thing happened again, another broken bolt. Just decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Maybe you can mod it tougher. Drill and tap the whole thing out to larger and stronger bolts, over the stock ones.

Anyway, that's the one I was looking at that looked like the best wedge head design.

Latest posts

Back