Hello Dozerdan, are you out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rymancm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I sent Dan $940 on May 27 and I still do not have my saw. I was told it would be "a couple weeks" when I first talked with him in May. I again talked with Dan in late June and was told it would be another week. My last conversation with Dan was in early August and I was told my saw was still going to be another week. All of these conversations were positive and I enjoyed talking with him and learning about his business. He explained that his hand was injured and he could not get his work done properly until it had time to heal. I told him to get well and worry about my saw once he was feeling better. However, since August I have called Dan dozens of times and left numerous messages, sent multiple emails and mailed a letter. I have not heard one single word back. I don't mind waiting for my saw as I fully understand Dan has had some setbacks that were completely out of his control, but I do expect to be kept in the loop. I use my saws 7 days a week to make a living. I contact my customers if I can't meet a deadline and I always, always, always return phone calls no matter how busy or angry or frazzled I am. I NEED this saw to keep my business afloat through our busy fall season and I cannot get through to Dan and have received NO explanation for why it has taken 6 months after I was repeatedly told it was almost ready. I respect Dan as a sawbuilder and I wish him all the best but I cannot go on wondering if I am ever going to get my saw or my money back. All I expect is a simple phone call. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Ryman McLane
Saco Treeworks
Jackson, NH

DozerDan2.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more. There no excuse for lack of communication like this. This seems to have become a pattern, rather than an isolated case or two. As a repeat customer of mine, I really hate to see you get screwed around like this. You're a professional, standup guy, with a very respectable resume. Just to give Ryman a little more credence...he is an ex hotshot firefighter, degreed, and an arbocultural business owner/operator of the highest standards. I certainly hope this works out for you Ryman.

Why so much for a 346? They only cost $500-550. Does it really cost $400 to have one ported by him? Shipping might be $30 on a saw that small (and that is with a rediculous amount of packing)

I sent Dan $940 on May 27 and I still do not have my saw. I was told it would be "a couple weeks" when I first talked with him in May. I again talked with Dan in late June and was told it would be another week. My last conversation with Dan was in early August and I was told my saw was still going to be another week. All of these conversations were positive and I enjoyed talking with him and learning about his business. He explained that his hand was injured and he could not get his work done properly until it had time to heal. I told him to get well and worry about my saw once he was feeling better. However, since August I have called Dan dozens of times and left numerous messages, sent multiple emails and mailed a letter. I have not heard one single word back. I don't mind waiting for my saw as I fully understand Dan has had some setbacks that were completely out of his control, but I do expect to be kept in the loop. I use my saws 7 days a week to make a living. I contact my customers if I can't meet a deadline and I always, always, always return phone calls no matter how busy or angry or frazzled I am. I NEED this saw to keep my business afloat through our busy fall season and I cannot get through to Dan and have received NO explanation for why it has taken 6 months after I was repeatedly told it was almost ready. I respect Dan as a sawbuilder and I wish him all the best but I cannot go on wondering if I am ever going to get my saw or my money back. All I expect is a simple phone call. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Ryman McLane
Saco Treeworks
Jackson, NH

View attachment 377632

What you need to expect is either your money (with interest) or the saw returned. I run a successful trucking business as an owner/operator and I take and make more phone calls in a day between gears than most people make/take in a month. All day/ every day.

Sounds strange to me. Dan has too much at stake to go soft on you now. I'm hoping Dan will step up to the plate as a promise made is a debt unpaid. I have a 346 saw Dan built 10 or 12 years ago and its my go to saw for firewooding.

I normally do not participate in these conversations as I have never had a vested interest. But, I am in the same boat. I have as much $$$ in mine as Ryman does his. I sent Dan a 346 on Sept. 5 with a supposedly 3-4 week turn around. I too, have left a dozen unreturned messages. Says he doesn't have internet anymore.

With all that said, I called him today and he finally answered his phone. He told me he has been very sick with some sort of UTI. He told me he was in the hospital for 6 days and was real weak. He said he waited too long to go to the doctor. He said my saw was up next and be ready in a week. He said he can only work about 4 hours per day and is much slower now. He used to port 3 346s per day and now 1 per week.

Other than that, I don't know what to say or think. Ryman waiting since May 27 has me very worried now. If somebody lives near him and would be willing to get my saw (if he still has it) and send it to me, I would be willing to take the loss on my port work, unless he gave me a refund.

Ryman, if he calls you or you get through, you are going to get another excuse IMO.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I had him on the phone recently, and he says me the same thing, he seems to have serious issues, he was at least 2 times in the hospital. And since last winter's storm, his internet work only 1 time /5. I'll call him back friday, i pay him 2 weeks ago for another 346. I'll ask him about your problems guys, but i'm sure he'll do your saws soon, or in the worst case he'll refund you.

I spoke w/ Dan on the phone a few weeks ago about getting my 357 done. He spoke of a serious kidney issue and told me to give him a week and call back. Hell, I felt bad bothering him about a chainsaw given the seriousness of the conversation. Maybe things have not been going in his favor. FWIW, he did answer his phone the first time I called.

I spoke w/ Dan on the phone a few weeks ago about getting my 357 done. He spoke of a serious kidney issue and told me to give him a week and call back. Hell, I felt bad bothering him about a chainsaw given the seriousness of the conversation. Maybe things have not been going in his favor. FWIW, he did answer his phone the first time I called.

Yes, same for me, he doesn't seems to be fine. But i understand the guys who are waiting for their saws, and communication is not Dan's best point. I'll try to give him a call sooner, maybe this afternoon (the afternoon for me, the morning in PA).

I felt bad too after talking to him, with all of his health issues. But waiting since May 27 has me worried. The check is cashed and the money spent. Not returning phone calls, not returning letters, not letting his customers know what is going on is not a good way to conduct business IMO.

I felt bad too after talking to him, with all of his health issues. But waiting since May 27 has me worried. The check is cashed and the money spent. Not returning phone calls, not returning letters, not letting his customers know what is going on is not a good way to conduct business IMO.

No it is not.

I'll say this than move on. Dan Henry is one of the most personable guys I've even spoken with. Smart, and well versed in all things mechanical.

I'm sure at this point he needs income........and is finding it very hard to finish things up. Now, more than anytime, is when he needs to be in constant contact with the guys that are willing to send him work.

OK, i just had Dan on the phone, and there's some news. He told me (if i correctly understand) that your saw, Ryman, has been shipped with FedEx yesterday or today, you'll have it soon. And Hinerman, he told me he had you on the phone recently, and he'll do your saw.

About Dan, he doesn't feel so much better, he can't work more than a few hours per days, after that his hands start trembling badly. I can't tell you much, my english comprehension isn't really good on the phone, but i feel really bad for him, he doesn't feel good, and i hope he'll be better soon.

Don't worry Ryman, you'll have your saw soon, and trust me, Dan's 346 worth the wait!

Looks like it is easier to communicate with him from France than from his home state - interesting!

Well, this may be due to the time difference, i always call him early morning, and the phone number in his signature is the one for his workshop I think. And he's probably in his workshop only in the morning lately. Dan is the only one I called in the US, but it's mostly because he does not communicate a lot by email.

Back