Hello from new member

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,

I think its fantastic the amount of good advice I'm getting from your responses as well as looking at the whole site.

BobL, yes please to a link your your Qld contact re bandsaws and I'll get you a photo of my chain in the next day or so.

Splitpost, I forgot to thank you for putting my photos up. By the way how sensitive do you think we should be to the size of our images particularly for dial up users? By this I mean is it better to just attach the images so that dial up users have the discretion to spend the time downloading them? My internet access plan has a 5Gb download limit and then the speed is slowed to 64K. This happens every month about day 20 as my boys seem to blow it with music and other downloads.

Mtngun, Lumberjackchef, I don't know what the right word to use is regarding your interest in our kangaroos as most Australians I know are fascinated with what we see as far more interesting wildlife in North America! You have more varied species than we have.

Ian

in Australia with todays gov rebates and cheap plans there really is no reason to run that dial up dinosor ,might spur them to upgrade,geez would thinks it a pain with dial up on forum sites,Nah the only thing i look out for is my up/down load usage which is really easy to blow:cheers:

Mtngun, Lumberjackchef, I don't know what the right word to use is regarding your interest in our kangaroos as most Australians I know are fascinated with what we see as far more interesting wildlife in North America! You have more varied species than we have.

I can see where you're coming from there. Our wildlife does still get my adrenaline pumping every now and :jawdrop:then like when my buddy spotted this monster whitetail buck in our neck of the woods! :jawdrop:

attachment.php

attachment.php

By the way how sensitive do you think we should be to the size of our images particularly for dial up users?
Depends on who you ask but my personal habit is to crop and scale photos to 800 pixels wide, then "optimize" the file so that it is only about 50 - 75 kbytes.

There is no broadband available in much of the rural US (one of several ways the US is lagging the rest of the world). I have satellite internet with an advertised 512kbps download speed and a strict download quota (know what you mean about the kids and their music). In the evening the satellite is saturated and download slows to a crawl.

Saw this little critter as well as his stout mama while collecting firewood a while back. He was 15 yards away while his mama is the dark shadow behind the bush in the upper right. They saw me but showed no alarm. They were ripping up logs and stumps, looking for ants and other insects.
attachment.php

Mtngun

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll experiment with raker height starting with being a bit more aggressive than I have been.

The roos are now protected but are harvested commercially by licensed shooters for an export game meat trade. The place is literally overrun with them now but now that our olive trees are big enough they are no longer a problem. When the trees were young I had to get a "damage mitigtion permit" that allowed me to shoot them. Shooting and reloading by the way is another of my lifelong hobbies cum occupational tool necessity for feral wildlife control.

** Are you having trouble getting reloading components there where you live. It's a pain here in the states.

I'm off to the farm now for a fortnight and may be on less frequently although we now have reasonable 3G wireless internet there now.

Ian

Do they taste like Chicken? :)

jerry-

I am happy that I live in a country where good internet access is cheap and readily avalible.
Here are fiberoptic as common as DSL in rural areas.

Yep - normal tooth spacing not skip
Semi chisel is what the manufacturers call it - Full chisel or just "chisel" has a square shaped outside cutter corner, semi chisel has a rounded corner. I find that in Aussie hardwood the pointy end is lost very quickly. I buy most of my chain from Aussie member, Rooshooter, and buy either 10º, or 30º and file back to 10º.[/QUOTE]

Do you use a round or a triangle file?

820wards

You asked what roo tastes like - I actually can't recall the last time I ate it but my wife who is a food technologist and into meat tells me it tastes like venison- a strong gamey taste. I've tried crocodile - it tastes like a cross between chicken and fish.

Was it you who asked about how easy it is to get reloading components here? Not too bad - you have to show your weapons licence and fill in a few forms and they take a photocoy of your licence and drivers licence the first time you buy that that store. There is a limit on the amount of powder you can store in your house - it varies between States but in Queensland it is 15 kilograms per household regardless of how many licenced shooters live there. Interestingly it is not the Police who are interested - it is the Deparment of Mines.

Anyhow back to milling - I've yet to try out some of the advice I've been getting but today using a brand new 30 degree skip tooth chisel chain I milled a 260mm X 75mm ironbark slab with relative ease but still the fine powder. The log of course is dead dry.

ironbark

Ian your not the only getting that fine sawdust,I am using stihl semi chisel std chain and yep getting same outcome when milling only whether it be old dry timber or a log that was cut 2 weeks prior but if i freehand rip some posts the chips are larger, got me :dizzy:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ian your not the only getting that fine sawdust,I am using stihl semi chisel std chain and yep getting same outcome when milling only whether it be old dry timber or a log that was cut 2 weeks prior but if i freehand rip some posts the chips are larger, got me :dizzy:

If the log is green, and the chain is set up right, you should be able to get lots of chips from Aussie hardwood at least in the first 3-4 ft or so of cutting. As the cut progresses there will be more dust and less chips. I will put a "what I do" together and post it into the sticky above.

Remember what/how you are cutting--If you orient the bar along the axis of a log and saw with the grain--you will get very long stringy "chips". If you crosscut, you are sawing at a right angle to the grain and you will get grain strands the width of your cutter and as thick as your raker depth--what we normally call "chips". But when we mill, we are cutting at a right angle into the end grain so we get individule grain strands as long as the raker depth and as wide as the tooth but being end grain and being violently ripped out and slung around at 60MPH, that "chip" flys apart into dust. every now and then a knot (limb) appears and the grain orentation changes and you may see larger chips, but when milling expect sawdust finer than what your table saw spits out.
Yes, if your chain is very sharp, your raker depth is right and the wood is green then expect your dust to be more like what the table saw makes. Dry wood means finer dust, duller chain means finer dust, and high rakers mean finer dust. Put all three together and be sure to wear a dust mask.
FYI--

Chainsaw Facts - Did You Know That....
A chainsaw piston goes up and down in the cylinder 20,000 times per minute.
The piston ring speed on the average chainsaw travels 2,500 surface feet per minute.
A chain slides across the surface of the sawbar rail at around 5000 feet per minute.
The chain is moving at 55 to 60 m.p.h. or a mile per minute ( 88 feet per second ).
The drive links impact the sprocket an average of 1,300 times per second.
The chainsaw bar sprocket rotates nearly 1 million times daily when sawmilling so grease that sprocket daily .
Chain Speed for Milling Lumber
The higher the chain speed, the faster the sawmilling speeds and to calculate this:

Take the chain pitch and multiply by 2. Multiply the above number by the number of teeth of the saw sprocket.
Multiply that number by the saw R.P.M.
The final answer will be the chain speed in inches per minute, just divide by 12 to convert to feet per minute.

U.S. ranks 17th in average internet speed according to this site.

They don't list Oz ? ? ?

1. S. Korea
2. Japan
3. Hong Kong
4. Romania (pretty sad when Romania is ahead of U.S.)
5. Sweden
6. Switzerland
7. Netherlands
8. Belgium
10. Norway

I don't think these are necessarily fair comparisons. There are some ranches in australia that are bigger than several countries on that list.

might just be how it is, gum does the same when i cut it ,that fine dust really gets in everywhere

Splitpost

I'm just about at the same point of accepting this is how it is with our wood. While I will continue to read responses and search the site to learn from others my focus now will be towards a winch arrangement, wheels and other ergonomic issues.

I've run out of old iron bark logs now and will drop a few trees this week with a view to milling them immediately and storing them for months to dry out. I've found that old dry cypress logs are not that much harder to mill than when green. I also think I've observed that green iron bark actually mills easier than cypress.

It's probably stating the obvious to most people on this site that know cypress pine but I find I can use it for most purposes quite soon after milling green. It doesn't shrink or warp nearly as much as iron bark does. Mind you I laid a floor using random widths of green cypress boards plain sawed quite some years ago and found that the 2 inch nail gap I deliberately left between them is now about twice that. These boards were anywhere from 6 to 10 inches wide. The wider gaps are not however an issue as snakes, mice and other nastis cannot get through them.

Ian

Splitpost

I've found that old dry cypress logs are not that much harder to mill than when green. I also think I've observed that green iron bark actually mills easier than cypress.

Ian

:agree2:I think it is the sap in the pine ,its really gooey and sticks to the chain and bakes on , where the ironbark does not,having said that i don't remove the bark from cypress before cutting up because it just wont release easy,ironbark on the other hand with a few hits with the back of the axe head or drive over it with the rear tyre of my tractor and its all off.
chris

Back