Hello, new here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, Ditch!

In a market like Charleston, you may want to show potential clients and contractors that you know about tree care and not just tree cutting. Live oaks are high value but high challenge too. Learn about root health--this is where it all begins,

One place to start is to become an ISA Certified Tree Worker. We're putting together a training and test for mid-May at the NC Zoo. From the sounds of this thread so far you might see the kin of some of these posters... :givebeer:

To learn about tree preservation--how to make money off a tree for the rest of your life, and your son's, while providing a high-value service--start here: http://secure.isa-arbor.com/webstore/Search.aspx?k=bmp

As for bucket trucks, unless most of your trees are near streets and driveways, I'd be leery of having to make big payments no matter how work is going.

I also vote no on the bucket. I started out in a bucket doing utility work then I started doing residential work and climbing, the bucket is a must doing utility work but is just a really expensive toolbox doing residential work I can climb the tree and have the job done by the time the other guy gets his bucket set up in most cases and I dont leave ruts or break sprinklers . Aside from the note you still have to pay the insurance plus maintain the truck and you will be a target for dot so you have to have everything in top shape . If you just have to have the big truck your money would be better spent on a crane truck.​

Okay thats it Im calling fishercat and finding out what you drive and where you park, sending the bighats on over for a visit. Ill get them to take that bucket off the road on you, may have to get your sissie ass up in a tree.

I'm gonna stop bustin yer chops now SOM...was fun to a point though :)

As far as me gettin my sissy ass up a tree...I get the felling I was up more trees in my first year climbing than you ever been. Not that I'm trying to prove anything here, just saying. MDS is a seasoned tree veteran see, so I really dont have anything to prove on an internet forum...dig it?? the bucket is just to help compete/offer a better service to my customers.

Yes, it is true I am not a big cop fan...but thats sort childish and I'm getting over it. better things to worry about. besides you seem like a decent guy...for a cop. :cheers:

Made a quick road trip to Jacksonville FL, where they are keeping the trucks untill sold.. Out of the 10 I looked at, all of them needed some work. All needed or will need tires soon, the insides were tore up and no one was able to produce paper work for when the craine wa last inspcted. But i was promied they were in working order.. Yeah um NO, they can keep them.

As for learning more, I am planing on going ot some arborist schools and becoming better at the job then most. Right now I am only doing felling work and small pruning jobs, they are being given to me. He will let me know what needs ot be cut and I go to it.

One of the reasons for the tree work is I am looking to build a full service company. As in Lawn service, landscape/hard scape, lighting, pool care, tree service. pretty much if it hapens out side your home, I want to be the one doing it.

The way i see it people are looking to make their lives easier.. No reason to have a company come mow the lawn, a diferent one come clean the pool, one for the fert, one for lighting installs and to matain sprinkler systems. Better much a dept store of service work.

Oh and its only gay untill you get use to it lol

Made a quick road trip to Jacksonville FL, where they are keeping the trucks untill sold.. Out of the 10 I looked at, all of them needed some work. All needed or will need tires soon, the insides were tore up and no one was able to produce paper work for when the craine wa last inspcted. But i was promied they were in working order.. Yeah um NO, they can keep them.

As for learning more, I am planing on going ot some arborist schools and becoming better at the job then most. Right now I am only doing felling work and small pruning jobs, they are being given to me. He will let me know what needs ot be cut and I go to it.

One of the reasons for the tree work is I am looking to build a full service company. As in Lawn service, landscape/hard scape, lighting, pool care, tree service. pretty much if it hapens out side your home, I want to be the one doing it.

The way i see it people are looking to make their lives easier.. No reason to have a company come mow the lawn, a diferent one come clean the pool, one for the fert, one for lighting installs and to matain sprinkler systems. Better much a dept store of service work.

Oh and its only gay untill you get use to it lol

Good approach there Ditch. I use a small number of trusted subcontractors for work I am either not qualified for or just plain don't want to do. Building a comprehensive service business is a slow process full of mistakes. Or at least it has been for me. Keep asking questions and you will, like the other professionals here, learn what it takes.

I have found over time that many clients will give you the green light for a job if you are upfront about your lack of knowledge. I have said many times, "I have not done this exact job before but based on other experience I believe I can do it. If I mess up I will fix it up". This approach has helped me learn new skills and gain rock solid loyalty from clients. If you are 100% honest with your clients you will quickly build a loyal following. I am also fond of saying "I don't know the answer but I will found out".

My experience is that people respect hard work and honesty. Keep those 2 things in your sights at all times and you will succeed in this or any other business.

That sounds like a good plan ditch...the only problem i can see is jugling all those different jobs during the busy season. Thats probably why there are pool guys etc., and then there are treeguys. But if you can swing that ,then good for you! Owning a tree service (at times) can be very demanding. I have enough trouble returning calls after doing treework all day when real busy, i couldnt imagine throwing all that other jazz into the mix. Just my thoughts.

That sounds like a good plan ditch...the only problem i can see is jugling all those different jobs during the busy season. Thats probably why there are pool guys etc., and then there are treeguys. But if you can swing that ,then good for you! Owning a tree service (at times) can be very demanding. I have enough trouble returning calls after doing treework all day when real busy, i couldnt imagine throwing all that other jazz into the mix. Just my thoughts.

Oh dont get me wrong I will not be doing all the work my self. The lawn maint part is pretty much running its self, and has been for 2 years.. Once i get comfortable with the tree work I will hire on for it as well. Then move on to the pool thing once i get good enough to train someone I will do that then cut them loose. I know it wont be a 3 week thing, it is going ot take years ot become the best. But on other things like pressure washing I can hire out. Lets face it you dont have to be the head cashier at the Wal Mart to run a pressure washer.

The biggest things will be finding someone with vision to do the hardscape/landscape things. Being able to look at a blank lawn, and having the customer tell you what they want, and then making it all come together on paper is not something that can be tought.

The biggest thing I have found it hiring good help. This year alone I have fired 5 people. I have a perfection policy, if you call a job done and the results are not perfection, then your not done. Being in the green indursty there is a lot of leeway in that. But if you can not run a mower, or a leaf blower, or a weed eater I have no use for you.

:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Hey Ditch, good luck to you from a fellow Charlestonian (actually Hahanan-ian). I will look for your truck and your advertisements around town. I gave up the freelance lawn business a couple years back, so no competition from my side.

I also vote no on the bucket. I started out in a bucket doing utility work then I started doing residential work and climbing, the bucket is a must doing utility work but is just a really expensive toolbox doing residential work I can climb the tree and have the job done by the time the other guy gets his bucket set up in most cases and I dont leave ruts or break sprinklers .​

I'm calling BS on this. If the tree is bucket accessible, I know our bucket truck operators will be up in the tree cutting before you have your climbing line uncoiled and saddle on. And don't forget the hour wasted trying to get your throwline in the tree (see the thread in the commercial climber section for throwline confessions).

But I would sure like to see you do a 4 hour bucket truck takedown in the 5 min it takes to set up the bucket.

I'm calling BS on this. If the tree is bucket accessible, I know our bucket truck operators will be up in the tree cutting before you have your climbing line uncoiled and saddle on. And don't forget the hour wasted trying to get your throwline in the tree (see the thread in the commercial climber section for throwline confessions).

But I would sure like to see you do a 4 hour bucket truck takedown in the 5 min it takes to set up the bucket.
Let me clarify. First the bucket operator has to get to the tree and in my town all the easy trees have been taken care of. you know bucket accessible trees. So yeah I did exaggerate some, I was not putting on a brag just trying to make the point that there are few trees that can be done with ease in my residential market. Most trees are pine which I have never had any luck doing much with with a bucket. And yes I can get up a pine for take down faster than you or anyone can get there bucket set up and I don't have a height restriction also remember you have to were a belt as well in the bucket . The next tree we deal with here a lot is the live oak. Trimming a Live oak with a bucket is a pain. It always seemed to me that the bucket never had the reach I needed to get around those 100 ft wide canopies so I always end up climbing anyways. my point is that for me I would rather climb than deal with a bucket in my own experience the time I was able to benefit from a bucket in my residential market were few and far between, that is why I sold mine.

Oh and check your tone.​

Last edited:
Hey Matt, got your PM and sent you a reply with my #. Got a beer in the fridge for you if you want to stop by over the holidays. I'm up in the Otranto subdivision (the BETTER half of Hanahan).
:givebeer:

Back