Help choosing a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone, I have been looking deeper and deeper into the Stihl 261's. They look like they are extremely great saws and I have also looked at the Husqvarna 435 and the Husqvarna 440 too. I'll keep doing reserach and looking around until I find the one I like.

You aren't really comparing apples to apples here.
The 261 is a very capable firewood saw that can do it all, felling, limbing and bucking in everything up to 20"+ wood.
The 440 and 435 are suited more to limbing duties or felling and bucking 12-14 inch stuff.

The 550 is a better comparison to the 261.

Mike

a 346xp if you can find one.

My thoughts exactly.

There are still a bunch of NIB 346XPs out there, and if you can't find one locally, drop me a PM. The 346XP was one of Husky's best saws ever in terms of handling and outstanding reliability. Best part, you'll end up saving $60 to $75 depending upon where you shop.

Nothing against the 550XP, or it's brethren, but to be frank, it just does not have the track record the 346XP does, and based on what I read here, waiting for a bit until Husky has all the issues large and small ironed out, may be a prudent decision.

Take Care

I'd be looking for a 346xp! If I couldn't find one, I'd get a 545 or 550xp.

562xp is a great saw but it's a 60cc. Get that if needed!

How much do you want to save money? I'm personally quite pleased with my 455. It's a clamshell, so that kinda sucks... and for light duty work I still prefer the 51/55/257 (lighter weight saws than the 455, but the 455 has splendid midrange torque along with almost zero vibration). As for the person with the 550 that's stronger than a 372xp, that doesn't sound right. Either the carb is too lean or rich or something else is a bit off. For a while I tuned my saws like I'd seen recommended here, clearly 4 stroking at WOT out of the cut and then cleaning up in the cut. I get a very noticeable jump in power if I set it like that but then turn the high side screw in another 1/4 turn or so. I think 'just cleans up' in the cut is more rich than optimal and costs a fair bit of power.

How much do you want to save money? I'm personally quite pleased with my 455. It's a clamshell, so that kinda sucks... and for light duty work I still prefer the 51/55/257 (lighter weight saws than the 455, but the 455 has splendid midrange torque along with almost zero vibration). As for the person with the 550 that's stronger than a 372xp, that doesn't sound right. Either the carb is too lean or rich or something else is a bit off. For a while I tuned my saws like I'd seen recommended here, clearly 4 stroking at WOT out of the cut and then cleaning up in the cut. I get a very noticeable jump in power if I set it like that but then turn the high side screw in another 1/4 turn or so. I think 'just cleans up' in the cut is more rich than optimal and costs a fair bit of power.

If you are tuning your saw to where it "just cleans up in the cut" and then leaning it out another 1/4 turn you'll find out why "a little rich" is better than "a little lean" some hot August day in a long cut!!!
Admittedly, these general terms are all relative, and your "just cleaning up in the cut" may be a lot richer than my "just cleaning up in the cut".

Mike

Ya the NOS 346xp would be another good choice...but a 50cc saw isn't much for weight and all with any brand. I've ran a 346xp and I have a ms 261. I don't think I'm giving up anything and probably gaining more when I'm bucking up a log with the 261. Yes the 346xp is nice, but unless your racing or some crap limbing up a tree, I don't buy the superior handling bit so much:msp_tongue:

It is a good saw, just not what a 50cc saw that is used in the woods should be. ;)
It would be very interesting to see Stihl come out with a game changing saw and how many of the Husky guys would claim that they are still God's gift to the chain saw market.:bowdown:

Shane, it seems like you've got a lot of experience and you also own and run a good number of saws, and probably know more about saws than 90% of the people participating in this forum, so your gut instinct is probably more accurate than most advice that you'll receive. FWIW and I didn't look at your sig in detail, but if you've got a 70cc saw, or bigger, then go with a 50cc saw for limbing and light handling work. Everything I've ever heard about 60cc saws is that they are compromise between 50 and 70cc. I've heard great things about both the MS 261 and the 346xp, what are you most comfortable with.

It would be very interesting to see Stihl come out with a game changing saw and how many of the Husky guys would claim that they are still God's gift to the chain saw market.:bowdown:

Shane, it seems like you've got a lot of experience and you also own and run a good number of saws, and probably know more about saws than 90% of the people participating in this forum, so your gut instinct is probably more accurate than most advice that you'll receive. FWIW and I didn't look at your sig in detail, but if you've got a 70cc saw, or bigger, then go with a 50cc saw for limbing and light handling work. Everything I've ever heard about 60cc saws is that they are compromise between 50 and 70cc. I've heard great things about both the MS 261 and the 346xp, what are you most comfortable with.

Shane is no dummie for sure. 90% is a stretch i think.

The 346 is a really great legendary saw but for all its supposed handling superiority I prefered the 261 which also has better air filtration and feels to have more torque. I've used a 346xp for hours at a time for all different types of cutting and it was brilliant but I prefer using the 261.

My thoughts exactly.

There are still a bunch of NIB 346XPs out there, and if you can't find one locally, drop me a PM. The 346XP was one of Husky's best saws ever in terms of handling and outstanding reliability. Best part, you'll end up saving $60 to $75 depending upon where you shop.

Nothing against the 550XP, or it's brethren, but to be frank, it just does not have the track record the 346XP does, and based on what I read here, waiting for a bit until Husky has all the issues large and small ironed out, may be a prudent decision.

Take Care

I traded my 346XP for a set of mountain bike wheels..... <----Dumbass

Shane is no dummie for sure. 90% is a stretch i think.

Thanks guys! I think I am going to settle with a 545 instead of the 550XP. I have read a lot of good reviews about it and I think I will give it a try

Stihl 261 has the torque, but is slow-ish. Husky 346 is quick/fast but not quite in a bigger cut. Dolmar 5105 almost feels 50/50 between the two, but torque is more noticeable. Dolmar isn't has balanced as the husky's, but you get use to them.

Jonsered CS 2258 2260

Give a shout to tlandrum or any other Jonsered dealer. They will not let you down. Get either of them ported and they are very impressive. AND they are Red and Black.

Jonsered CS 2258 2260

Give a shout to tlandrum or any other Jonsered dealer. They will not let you down. Get either of them ported and they are very impressive. AND they are Red and Black.

The weight difference between a MS261 and a 2260 isn't that large, while the power difference is. Also, the Husky made saw will feel better in the hands.

The 2260 is lighter than the 562xp, as it basically is the 560xp. :msp_biggrin:

Back