Help finding good trre trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colt044

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was reading the other thread on this subject but it appears it got a little out of control. My biz is in central mo. est. for 12 years. lost 2 good trimmers last year, 1 back to the big house and 1 to line clearance, union work - lots of bennies. I have 1 good trimmer now, he is mexican though, communication is a problem, kinda hard to explain specific trims and such as we head into fall trimming and such. Im working my ass off trying to keep debris on ground and keep up with bids. I have run ads what a joke. Any thoughts thanks

I was reading the other thread on this subject but it appears it got a little out of control. My biz is in central mo. est. for 12 years. lost 2 good trimmers last year, 1 back to the big house and 1 to line clearance, union work - lots of bennies. I have 1 good trimmer now, he is mexican though, communication is a problem, kinda hard to explain specific trims and such as we head into fall trimming and such. Im working my ass off trying to keep debris on ground and keep up with bids. I have run ads what a joke. Any thoughts thanks

To be honest a good way to find a good climber/trimmer is by their reputation with other tree services and then steal them away with a better offer. Not very nice, but it works for a colleague of mine. I fill in for his climber or to help out when he needs me as a contractor and he found his guy on a municipal payroll in a local town where his talents were being wasted. This fella is impressive, has 20 plus years working in trees and he has taught me a few things. I like it when they recruit me for a stint and I am working side by side with him.

Kinda hard to do that around here as there is alot of hacks that dont know how to properly care for trees. I would probably be ok if I could just hire someone to help get through fall trimming. But I really need a good man for the future of this business.

Kinda got spoiled with my last guy, stayed with me for 5 years- bucket operator - climber- quality work. he was getting older though and went to line clearance, less work and lots of bennies, cant really blame him.

The only way I have had success in the past is to train from the ground up, but that takes time. Isnt there any GOOD tree trimmers out ther needing a good job or do they all do gravy line clearance or self employed.

The only way I have had success in the past is to train from the ground up, but that takes time. Isnt there any GOOD tree trimmers out ther needing a good job or do they all do gravy line clearance or self employed.

Thats it in a nutshell....either they are running their own biz or.... they are returning to line work, lets face it...residential is a body killer!!

If you dont have the toys to make it easy or in my situation: I am usually in some tight, restricted postage stamp yard with some big ugly thing hanging over their house.....mostly all manual/hand work, this is where the $$$$ is & im one of the only guys around that take on these jobs...they pay well...But man the body takes a beating.

all the easy stuff is taken by the grass cutters, landscapers or other non-talented tree services. So, to find a good climber/operator is a chore in deed!

good luck!

LXT.................

Around my immediate area, there are very few private guys that can compete with the pay/steady work that the line clearance jobs provide.

I know quite a few guys that work for the line clearing companies. They might hate it mostly, but when you have a wife and kids depending on you.. well, it is what it is.

Thats it in a nutshell....either they are running their own biz or.... they are returning to line work, lets face it...residential is a body killer!!

If you dont have the toys to make it easy or in my situation: I am usually in some tight, restricted postage stamp yard with some big ugly thing hanging over their house.....mostly all manual/hand work, this is where the $$$$ is & im one of the only guys around that take on these jobs...they pay well...But man the body takes a beating.

all the easy stuff is taken by the grass cutters, landscapers or other non-talented tree services. So, to find a good climber/operator is a chore in deed!

good luck!

LXT.................

I wanna live in one of these areas where "I'm one of the only guys around that can take on these jobs"! That must be one sweet gig right there!

Hell, around here, a lot of these guys suck by my standards, but they can still get a tree down at least..

I am finding this out indeed. Last year I was full time selling work and keeping up on equipment- both a job in itself-. I do have a lot of toys to make job easier as in bobcat/grapple, dump trailer/ mini skids with grapple/ chippers/ bucket truck. to the point now though someone could sell full time and run 2-3 crews 6 months out of the year, but if that someone isnt out there Ill lose a lot of work or do as im doing uggh!

I wanna live in one of these areas where "I'm one of the only guys around that can take on these jobs"! That must be one sweet gig right there!

Hell, around here, a lot of these guys suck by my standards, but they can still get a tree down at least..

Dont get me wrong there are guys who can do it...BUT they avoid it like the plague, everyone wants the jobs where the wood stays, their bucket truck can perch right by the tree and the brush falls into the chipper, LOL

My team & I are usually burnt out by thursday, LOl..... the risks involved, the picky home owners, etc.. I actually have been raising my prices...and Im still getting work...I am very blessed & thankful!

I just wish we could land some easy work.....like a 50ft thin out or some elevation/trim back jobs............instead of the 80-100ft silver maple, pinoak, spruce tree(s) removal that are 5ft from the house, hang past the other side of the house & have a full blown landscape, water feature, trellis, deck, fence or other obstacle under them!! just to name a few!!

oh well............cant complain, as long as the checks are good, everyones safe & we can have fun....but not necessarily in that order! LOL

LXT..............

Dont get me wrong I really do like doing this work however I can only do so much. I love going out and bustin out 3 or 4 removals. But then I dont really enjoy having to go get all cleaned up with baby wipes and changing my threads so I dont smell like an old rotten red oak and driving around bidding til dark- every day. Not bad now but fall trimming takes alot more time on job. I definitely thank god for the work. I guess im back to training, Im pretty good at that too. lol

Dont get me wrong there are guys who can do it...BUT they avoid it like the plague, everyone wants the jobs where the wood stays, their bucket truck can perch right by the tree and the brush falls into the chipper, LOL

My team & I are usually burnt out by thursday, LOl..... the risks involved, the picky home owners, etc.. I actually have been raising my prices...and Im still getting work...I am very blessed & thankful!

I just wish we could land some easy work.....like a 50ft thin out or some elevation/trim back jobs............instead of the 80-100ft silver maple, pinoak, spruce tree(s) removal that are 5ft from the house, hang past the other side of the house & have a full blown landscape, water feature, trellis, deck, fence or other obstacle under them!! just to name a few!!

oh well............cant complain, as long as the checks are good, everyones safe & we can have fun....but not necessarily in that order! LOL

LXT..............

Well, just keep an extra man suit behind the seat then.. just in case. :cheers:

Dont get me wrong I really do like doing this work however I can only do so much. I love going out and bustin out 3 or 4 removals. But then I dont really enjoy having to go get all cleaned up with baby wipes and changing my threads so I dont smell like an old rotten red oak and driving around bidding til dark- every day. Not bad now but fall trimming takes alot more time on job. I definitely thank god for the work. I guess im back to training, Im pretty good at that too. lol

I think you might be better off training a new guy. It sounds like you've gotten pretty damn far in the biz, so I imagine you know whats up. It sucks, but it is what it is. Thats not to say that you might not get lucky and find someone up to snuff though.

I havent gotten steady enough with work yet, where I could offer full time, year round work for a skilled climber/whatever else. I am forced to deal with the regular run of the mill, junker ground dogs mostly. I do most all the technical work myself though, so the quality is still there at least.

Not all us us do line clearance or are self employed-i just want to climb without the headaches of equipment payments, or customers, or employees. But the thing is, since my employer wants to keep me, he takes very good care of me. This is a lot of the problems i see around here about companies looking for "good" climbers. They want someone good, but they don't want to pay him. Around here, you won't find a high caliber climber without paying him over 30 an hour with full benefits. Are you willing to make that sacrifice? Most companies aren't, so end up with the 15 an hour caliber climbers.

I wouldnt have a problem with paying someone that kind of money If he can actually run a crew effectively as i do on a daily basis and get the production needed. thats the problem I have found with training is not only do I have to train to safely do this work but i also have to train a leader. Thats difficult.

I'm subbing for a service at the moment on a tree that two other local guys turned down. The service I am subbing for is scared of the tree. First time I have subbed for anyone in ten years. I still do my own thing with my own guys and my own equipment.

Money talks. They paid my asking price. If I can climb one without me being liable or having to haul the debris then it's worth my while to just climb it for what I would like to net on the job if it were my own.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back