Help. First ever rebuild; Stihl 066 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FistfulOfStihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's my first time posting to this site. I've been lurking for a long time and have been trying to find the right saw for my needs. I'll mostly be milling salvaged logs to support my woodworking hobby. This weekend I was at an estate sale and saw this old dirty stihl in a pile of junk. It happened to be an 066 magnum that needs some love. I noticed it was missing some parts and the piston looked kinda rough. I ended up walking out of there with the saw for only 25$.
I'm completely new to milling and using chainsaws in general. I have some experience restoring vintage woodworking machines and have done a few (Delta Unisaws, DeWalt RAS, Powermatic shaper etc.). I'm hoping through some of the great advice you guys give on this forum, and a little tinkering I can make this project saw run again.
I plan to post pictures throughout the process and hopefully can get advice when needed.
Here she is.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 52
In all honesty, not really sure where to start other than cleaning some of the grease off and maybe begin taking it apart. If anyone has a manual/parts list for this model that would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too familiar with chainsaws but from what I've come to learn from this site it looks like the muffler is missing, no gas cap, and possibly new piston/cylinder. If the piston is shot does that mean the cylinder is most likely trash too? Some of the replacement parts on ebay vary in price pretty dramatically. Is there a certain manufacturer that would be best for this rebuild? Pretty much looking for some direction or any advice from someone who has done a rebuild before.
Thanks guys

welcome to saw heaven. good saw to start with. lots of parts out there.

Thanks bayard. Where do you typically buy parts? Is there a specific site and/or manufacturer you would recommend?

Your best bet is to try to clean up that cylinder and get a new piston (oem or meteor would be best ) Do a little searching on aluminum transfer removal. Lots of aftermarket stuff out there for 066/660s, with varying degrees of crapiness. Id plan on fuel line, pulse line, carb kit, intake boot and crank seals. And a muffler haha.

Man, great eye picking that thing up for $25. As others have stated check out a meteor P/C or scrounge an OEM set. If you are planning on using it yourself, I'd redneck the hell out of that thing (get the ring free from the piston and see what she will do). I'll catch all kinds of crap on here for that comment, but whatever....we've all done it. Regardless, you have a great platform to work off of and don't have to be afraid of spending alittle money to do it right either. Post pics as you go....it keeps the rest of us occupied.

after a few bears and some reading i think i'm going to grab a dual port muffler. Any thoughts on whether i should use a meteor 54mm p/c or use a nwp 56mm big bore. Do i have to modify any other components for the big bore to work?

and honestcharlie, i'm not sure what removing the ring from the piston would do in regards to performance but it sounds like something fun lol maybe need play around a bit

one of the pictures you posted shows piston material smeared over the ring. I was just (poorly) suggesting that you could smooth that over and see if the saw runs in the manner in which you feel happy. Fixing it to OEM would require a Stihl Piston and Cylinder, along with a case vacuum test and a few other "little" tests. Fixing it in an acceptable (be careful because that word is quite subjective) manner would be replacing the piston with a new one, or replacing the piston and cylinder, acid washing the oem cylinder and replacing the piston, etc. etc. More pics would cool.

drink a couple more beers and order the big bore kit. Or drink quite a bit more and find a nice 090G on here in the classifieds..... Like most forums on the net, this one isn't here to save you money LOL.

Latest posts

Back