Help from the "Lefties"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not talking about politics

My neighbor is left handed and has decided on getting a new saw. He's looking in the 60 cc range and after running mine has decided he likes the 357XP.

My question to those of you that are lefties, do you prefer the angled Husky or the straight Jonsered handle?

For the Stihl guys, we are going to the Stihl dealer to check out a MS362 so if any left handers have one, or it's predecessor the MS361, would appreciate any input.

Take Care

Not talking about politics

My neighbor is left handed and has decided on getting a new saw. He's looking in the 60 cc range and after running mine has decided he likes the 357XP.

My question to those of you that are lefties, do you prefer the angled Husky or the straight Jonsered handle?

For the Stihl guys, we are going to the Stihl dealer to check out a MS362 so if any left handers have one, or it's predecessor the MS361, would appreciate any input.

Take Care

I don't know, but the lefties have the advantage because they are holding the weight of the saw with the strongest side of the body.
John

I'm a lefty.

I like the angled handle, but I've used Jonsereds without issue. IMO, this is not a lefty/righty issue, but more of a general comfort issue of angled vs. straight.

Lefty here... I prefer the angled handle to straight, but that's just comparing the Stihls I've run to my Homelite SXL... lots of other ergonomic issues with that saw.

If I'm starting the saw on the ground, I pull the starter cord with my left hand, then I switch hands after the saw starts -- what do you righties do?

Lefty here... I prefer the angled handle to straight, but that's just comparing the Stihls I've run to my Homelite SXL... lots of other ergonomic issues with that saw.

If I'm starting the saw on the ground, I pull the starter cord with my left hand, then I switch hands after the saw starts -- what do you righties do?

The righties usually do the nut cracker start or the stirrup start, but I have also seen the righties do the yo-yo start. Lol
John

Leftie here. Prefer the straight Jred handle to the angled Husky handle. Also, I dropstart my saw a lot, rarely start it on the ground. Some of the places I cut finding a proper place to stand while working is an issue, let alone a proper place to start a saw on the ground.

Leftie here. Prefer the straight Jred handle to the angled Husky handle. Also, I dropstart my saw a lot, rarely start it on the ground. Some of the places I cut finding a proper place to stand while working is an issue, let alone a proper place to start a saw on the ground.

A trick on starting procedure in a tight situation, is to drop start it with the chain brake on, but only in the run mode, not on 3/4 lock. Especially with long bars. Safety First!
John

I sell a few Jonsereds to Lefties just because of the straight handle. In my store they can pick up both the Jonnys and the Huskys, and they almost always prefer the feel of the Jonny.

A trick on starting procedure in a tight situation, is to drop start it with the chain brake on, but only in the run mode, not on 3/4 lock. Especially with long bars. Safety First!
John

Aye man, safety is important. I'm not taking any chances while dropstarting it, and in fact anything else would be more dangerous in a lot of the tight spots I work in.

When you are talking lefties do you mean operating the saw with the left hand on the throttle and right hand on the front handle?

If so, then the leftie is opening himself up for a nasty gash on his right arm in case of a bad kickback. Also carrying the saw close to the body becomes a hazard as the bar is held much too close to the legs.

Remember one of the first lessons in safety in your old woodshop classes? Don't cross your hand over the path of the saw blade when cutting.

Bob

No, it's just if you're left handed or not. I operate the saw in the same way that my right-handed colleagues do. But being left-handed, it does affect how I hold and move the saw somewhat.

I'm a Southpaw, and I run saws in the 'normal' way, with my right hand on the rear grip. Only switch hands if the cut needs it. I don't run full-wrap saws much, and ain't much of a faller, so that's once in a blue moon at most...:givebeer:

Never ran one of the new-fangled angled Huskys. All my old saws have 'straight' handlebars, and they feel fine to me. I agree that it feels natural to have the weight of the saw in my left (front) hand too. I start 'em with my left hand usualy, but not always. Depends on the saw and the terrain. I'm mostly ambidextrous anyways. I seldom drop-start my saws. Rarely have a need to.

Left handed people should have received electro shock therapy as babies to convert them to right handed, normal folk.

Can't say that too loud as my missus is a lefty and she'll kill me... She's also pretty handy with my right handed chainsaws...

Left handed people should have received electro shock therapy as babies to convert them to right handed, normal folk.

Can't say that too loud as my missus is a lefty and she'll kill me... She's also pretty handy with my right handed chainsaws...

My parents tried the sock and duck tape!
Didn't work!
I won't conform!!!!

If at all possible, try to get a full wrap or half wrap handle!
This is much more comfortable and SAFE for lefties as the can actual position them selves(me too) to were the hands-arms are not crossed. This will also put the lefty in a more economical form, which leads to a safer way to run them.

Eccentric has the key...we southpaws are used to having to run things the wrong way. Chainsaws are just one of many. Any other lefty have trouble with the debit card swipe at the gas pumps? I always put the strip in the wrong spot. It too seems to be set up for right-handed people.

I never had a problem with using a regularly configured chainsaw, but that card swipe can be troublesome in some stores. The stylus for writing your signature comes out on the right side on some machines. Most stores have changed things so the stylus cable comes out the middle or has extra length for lefties.

I've adapted to right-handed items all my life, so it really doesn't annoy me. It's just the way the world is and the way I expect things to be, so there are no surprises.

must be what they use in catholic schools, my father was a lefty and they converted him.

i`m a second generation bass ackwards lefty :greenchainsaw:

Don't know about when you were a bubs but when older sounds like fun with a little leather and chains!

Anyhoo us lefty's are that versatile it doesn't matter...:)

I'm mostly right-handed. Writing, guitar playing. Most everything. The exception is handled tools requiring two hands. I swing a maul or an ax lefty. Dig a hole with a shovel lefty. Used to bat lefty in pee-wee league.

Didn't even know I did all those things lefty until I coached little league and was teaching kids to bat. Then I started noticing all the other things I do lefty.

I'm spending Saturday in the woods. I'll try and figure out if I'm cutting like a lefty too.

Don't know about when you were a bubs but when older sounds like fun with a little leather and chains!

Anyhoo us lefty's are that versatile it doesn't matter...:)

Yeah Tracy shoots left handed, plays golf right handed, plays tennis left handed, etc etc. She's all messed up...

Latest posts

Back